UAB shutting down football program

So Hart has to find a replacement for the opener ? Will it still be at Nashville, with a replacement team ?

Last edited:
Suck because it sounded like the program was finally turning things around and getting some support.

Looks like Conference USA will be looking for a new member.

I'd like to see BYU as a replacement. They are independent, we could probably make that happen.

They don't want UAB to get a name coach that could possibly pull recruits away from Bama. That's what this is about. I've heard they once had a deal for Jimbo Fisher back before he took over FSU that the board killed for that very reason.

Reactions: 4 people
They don't want UAB to get a name coach that could possibly pull recruits away from Bama. That's what this is about. I've heard they once had a deal for Jimbo Fisher back before he took over FSU that the board killed for that very reason.

Yep. Unethical

Hmm Bama board of trustees was aloud to influence the coaching hire of another school and the NCAA did nothing. Oh wait but they did let them hire someone, it was just some lame duck coach instead of an up and coming coach.

I'm sorry but when one school has the power over another school that Bama clearly has here its clearly a competitive advantage. Thers no other way to spin this. Its not like UAB was some team that hadn't won any games or barely won, they were bowl eligible. Not to mention the only sport being talked about shutting down is the most profitable while all the other sports that do nothing to bring in money and just drain the school are allowed to continue.

This is where the FBI needs to say enough is enough with the NCAA and shut them down until they can be a fair and balanced institution. Its beyond clear that the relationship between Saban and the head of the NCAA, who was the AD at LSU when Saban coached there, is affecting the judgement and decisions in a way that is unfair to the rest of the schools in the NCAA. How many times can Bama players post pics with hands full of hundreds or brand new cars. how many former players can come out and say yup I took money while there and the NCAA doesn't even pretend to start an investigation.

The sad reality is nothing will ever happen and if it does it won't be until Saban is long gone and its way too late to do anything that will really matter.

Reactions: 2 people
It's pathetic what the BOT is doing.

That program was harmless. Got some guys free education that otherwise wouldn't have got it. But because some crusty old slug is too stupid to understand any of that, it's got to go.

Hmm Bama board of trustees was aloud to influence the coaching hire of another school and the NCAA did nothing. Oh wait but they did let them hire someone, it was just some lame duck coach instead of an up and coming coach.

I'm sorry but when one school has the power over another school that Bama clearly has here its clearly a competitive advantage. Thers no other way to spin this. Its not like UAB was some team that hadn't won any games or barely won, they were bowl eligible. Not to mention the only sport being talked about shutting down is the most profitable while all the other sports that do nothing to bring in money and just drain the school are allowed to continue.

This is where the FBI needs to say enough is enough with the NCAA and shut them down until they can be a fair and balanced institution. Its beyond clear that the relationship between Saban and the head of the NCAA, who was the AD at LSU when Saban coached there, is affecting the judgement and decisions in a way that is unfair to the rest of the schools in the NCAA. How many times can Bama players post pics with hands full of hundreds or brand new cars. how many former players can come out and say yup I took money while there and the NCAA doesn't even pretend to start an investigation.

The sad reality is nothing will ever happen and if it does it won't be until Saban is long gone and its way too late to do anything that will really matter.

Someone needs to take 5 minutes to learn how public university systems are organized and governed.

I didn't believe the BOT vs UAB stuff until the Jimbo situation. It was completely unwarranted. To make matters worse, the board foisted Neil Calloway on the Blazers in Jimbo's place (Calloway had ties to someone on the board but was not one of the original options under serious consideration in addition to Fisher). Calloway nearly killed the program via sheer incompetence.

The stadium fiasco was another last minute move by the BOT.

I spoke with Coach Clark this Summer and he indicated that he was having trouble getting permission to spend on facilities even though the money for the specific improvements he sought was available in the budget. Looking back, it sounds like they were already moving towards the axe.

At an absolute minimum the BOT has not been transparent when dealing with UAB Football. At worst, members on the BOT are actively working to shut down the program.

There are lots of coincidences here - too many to not at least merit investigation.

Likewise, UAB Administration has not been transparent.

Sad state of affairs.

I haven't seen this addressed but one has to wonder about the other sports. Football supports up to 85 scholarships. Title IX requires an equal # of female sport scholarships so I imagine a large # of women's sports programs at UAB will get the axe. Some deservedly so but you will have to cut pretty deep to make up 85 scholarships. Some of those 85 may stay in the form of upping scholarships for existing sports I suppose but if this is about money then how do you justify keeping ANY programs since they are all likely losing money.

I didn't believe the BOT vs UAB stuff until the Jimbo situation. It was completely unwarranted. To make matters worse, the board foisted Neil Calloway on the Blazers in Jimbo's place (Calloway had ties to someone on the board but was not one of the original options under serious consideration in addition to Fisher). Calloway nearly killed the program via sheer incompetence.

I spoke with Coach Clark this Summer and he indicated that he was having trouble getting permission to spend on facilities even though the money for the specific improvements he sought was available in the budget. Looking back, it sounds like they were already moving towards the axe.

At an absolute minimum the BOT has not been transparent when dealing with UAB Football. At worst, members on the BOT are actively working to shut down the program.

There are lots of coincidences here - too many to not at least merit investigation.

Sad state of affairs.

They had better watch out at UAB because if they do that to football they could do that to other sports like Basketball later on.

They had better watch out at UAB because if they do that to football they could do that to other sports like Basketball later on.

They have to do it to other sports (at least women's) to be compliant with Title IX (unless that allows more female than male scholarships).

Financial analysis of the football team shows it at break even. That implies the other sports are losing money.

Also, UAB lost it's spot in Conf. USA if this happens.

Reactions: 1 person

Sad state of affairs.

What would be the investigation?

They have to do it to other sports (at least women's) to be compliant with Title IX (unless that allows more female than male scholarships).

Financial analysis of the football team shows it at break even. That implies the other sports are losing money.

Also, UAB lost it's spot in Conf. USA if this happens.

Sunbelt Conference is in their future

What would be the investigation?

The role of the BOT and the process used to initiate the decision.

There are sunshine laws for the BOT that I'm quite sure have been violated. Any discussion of this issue should be public record but as with the case of Jimbo, the stadium, etc. the record is simply a vote. Clearly discussions are taking place behind closed doors which is a violation.

Likewise, I am referring more to "investigative journalism" to find out how this really went down rather than criminal investigation.

Hundreds of students rally to save UAB football - ESPN

It's nice to see there is some rallying. It won't matter, but still nice to see some speaking out.

What's really sad is this hire pretty much backfired on them. They thought it would be a dud but Clark was able to get them bowl eligible and attendance average doubled. It makes it look even worse IMHO.

UAB is starting to have a PR problem. This is getting public coverage yet UAB is saying nothing (including not denying rumors). Per local news, as of an hour ago the couch hasn't heard anything from administration.

The players wrote a pretty power letter challenging the administration to at least look them in the eye and tell them their future.

The collective women's sports coaches wrote a letter even though they'd been told to keep their mouths shut.

There will be another rally/protest tomorrow.

UAB Admin can't keep dodging the public.

VN Store

Back