8 team Playoff ...

roddo518

Coach
Is in our near future imo. It is the best number of teams in division 1. You could take the power five conference champions plus three wild cards. I'd love to see this happen. Too many arguments for four teams. I foresee no reasonable arguments for a team getting left out that did not win conference or had two or three losses.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm all for it but get ready for the dinosaurs to whine about how it will ruin college football.

I'm all for it but get ready for the dinosaurs to whine about how it will ruin college football.

The lid has already been opened on Pandora's box. They will not be able to withstand the onslaught. My only wish is that we could of had 5 undefeateds this year in the big conferences.
But, an Ohio st, miss st, Bama, Oregon, fsu winning out could do the trick!

Last edited:
I would love for it to be 8 and play the first round games at the top 4 seeds home sites. Can you imagine a playoff game at Neyland or another great venue versus an Ohio State or FSU? The place would be insane.

Reactions: 1 person
I would love for it to be 8 and play the first round games at the top 4 seeds home sites. Can you imagine a playoff game at Neyland or another great venue versus an Ohio State or FSU? The place would be insane.

I like the way you think. That would be an awesome scenario.

Pretty much do it like the NBA. 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and so on. I like it.

Yep. It would also mean you want to finish as high as possible so you can host a game.

Stay at 4 and say you have to win your conference, make conference play the first round. Let the committee decide which conference champ is left out.

Reactions: 2 people
See, we could fix college football with just our think tank. Let's make it so. Because if we let some of the administrators try it, they'll screw it up somehow. They'll go to 6, with two byes, try to get bowls involved in the quarters, etc.

Stay at 4 and say you have to win your conference, make conference play the first round. Let the committee decide which conference champ is left out.

That doesn't work because you have 5 major conferences.

I'd rather have 5 conference bids and 3 wild cards.

I'd rather go top 8 teams at the end of the year instead of conference champs.

I think it's assumed it will go to 8 soon. I would shorten the regular season to do it right if I were involved.

Booooooooo! What if all five power conferences have undefeated teams, and an undefeated mid major and independent?

you can play the 'what if' game all day long in every possible scenario and there will never be a resolution.

when its more important to fill a spot just to make it an even number in the tourney its a disservice to college footballs attempt to crown a true champion. Let each conference nominate who they want to represent them to play for the NC. If you are an indie, you picked to be an indie. Sorry for you. There's other bowls.

Yep. It would also mean you want to finish as high as possible so you can host a game.

Exactly, then ensures that the regular season remains relevant and that every week counts, unlike the college basketball season.

Edit: I also think that conference champs should not be automatic. I would say that if you are not ranked in the Top 15 and win your conference you do not qualify to be in the College Football Playoff. See Wake Forest 2006.

Last edited:
Bull. Just because a team wins the Big 10 doesn't mean they're better than a second SEC team.

Maybe. Maybe not. But it would show that the 2nd best SEC team is not better than the 1st. Give the other conference champs a try at that point.

Maybe. Maybe not. But it would show that the 2nd best SEC team is not better than the 1st. Give the other conference champs a try at that point.

An 8 team playoff would give the other conference champs a try.

I think it's assumed it will go to 8 soon. I would shorten the regular season to do it right if I were involved.

The conferences/school ADs would never agree to that though.

That'd pretty much mean throwing away an OOC home game (against a cupcake) which they would view as throwing away money.

I think your wrong about not allowing conference champs an automatic berth. That makes conference championships so meaningful. Then we would be saying who's on the bubble, etc. It would also eliminate the talk of well, they couldn't even win their conference, how are they Nc. So dramatic, it makes winning conference the golden ticket, it also allows a powerful team to get their say so in the Nc. I love it!

I have wanted an 8-team playoff since I was a kid. Take the five power champs and one Group of Five champ. That leaves 2 spots. The Saturday with the conference title games would be one of the greatest sports days of the year. Every divisional race would have national title implications.

VN Store

Back