Realistic Florida Coaching Candidates?

DiderotsGhost

Scanning around the NCAA, there really aren't that many realistic options for Florida. All the names I'm seeing thrown around are long shots. Jim Harbaugh, Mike Shanahan, Bob Stoops, Steve Spurrier, and RichRod keep getting mentioned. The first two are completely unrealistic. Stoops has already rejected Florida three times and can't see why he'd suddenly change his mind now. Spurrier will be 70 years old and seems unlikely that he would take over Florida again this close to retirement.

RichRod might theoretically make sense, except it's tough to imagine him wanting to do Michigan Part 2. If RichRod wins two PAC-12 titles in the next decade at Arizona, they'll build statues to him. If he fails to win the SEC in his first four seasons or fails to win 8 games per year at Florida, he'll get fired. The Florida job is much more like the Michigan job, as well, and RichRod never did well with the PR side of things.

Who does that leave as realistic candidates?

1.) Jim McElwain - huge buyout, but possible

2.) Justin Fuente - one of the better possibilities, but only one good season under his belt at Memphis

3.) Doc Holliday - probably too old to met Foley's standards

4.) Mark Hudspeth - like Fuentas, a decent hire, but not going to excite the fanbase

5.) Chad Morris - the Clemson OC; Florida probably wants a proven coach this time, but Morris is a hot commodity

If Florida isn't happy with any of those guys, it's likely going to have to get creative. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run at someone not being thought about.

Mark Helfrich is a perhaps a long-shot possibility. He's from Oregon, but OU isn't his alma mater. Moreover, his $2 million salary seems rather low compared to other coaches of his caliber. Still, seems more likely that Oregon gives him a raise than Florida nabbing him.

Obviously, I'm rooting for Florida to make the wrong hire, but we'll see. Personally, I would say that even though he's only had one good season, Fuente's turn-around at Memphis is one of the most impressive things I've seen in the past decade of college football. I'm sort of hoping they pass on him.

Last edited:
Scanning around the NCAA, there really aren't that many realistic options for Florida. All the names I'm seeing thrown around are long shots. Jim Harbaugh, Mike Shanahan, Bob Stoops, Steve Spurrier, and RichRod keep getting mentioned. The first two are completely unrealistic. Stoops has already rejected Florida three times and can't see why he'd suddenly change his mind now. Spurrier will be 70 years old and seems unlikely that he would take over Florida again this close to retirement.

RichRod might theoretically make sense, except it's tough to imagine him wanting to do Michigan Part 2. If RichRod wins two PAC-12 titles in the next decade at Arizona, they'll build statues to him. If he fails to win the SEC in his first four seasons or fails to win 8 games per year at Florida, he'll get fired. The Florida job is much more like the Michigan job, as well, and RichRod never did well with the PR side of things.

Who does that leave as realistic candidates?

1.) Jim McElwain - huge buyout, but possible

2.) Justin Fuente - one of the better possibilities, but only one good season under his belt at Memphis

3.) Doc Holliday - probably too old to met Foley's standards

4.) Mark Hudspeth - like Fuentas, a decent hire, but not going to excite the fanbase

5.) Chad Morris - the Clemson OC; Florida probably wants a proven coach this time, but Morris is a hot commodity

If Florida isn't happy with any of those guys, it's likely going to have to get creative. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run at someone not being thought about.

Mark Helfrich is a perhaps a long-shot possibility. He's from Oregon, but OU isn't his alma mater. Moreover, his $2 million salary seems rather low compared to other coaches of his caliber. Still, seems more likely that Oregon gives him a raise than Florida nabbing him.

Obviously, I'm rooting for Florida to make the wrong hire, but we'll see. Personally, I would say that even though he's only had one good season, Fuente's turn-around at Memphis is one of the most impressive things I've seen in the past decade of college football. I'm sort of hoping they pass on him.

Put Ruffin McNeill on your list

Reactions: 2 people
nobody is paying 7.5 mill buyout for frickin jim mcelwain

Probably not, but I wouldn't be shocked to see that figure get negotiated downwards if Florida were truly interested. Based on his words, it sounds like McElwain is interested. Doesn't mean that Florida wants him, but if they did, there's always a possibility that a deal gets done.

there are other "realistic" candidates.

And I actually think Bob Stoops is a realistic possibility. Doesn't mean it will happen, but it's not far fetched either.

there are other "realistic" candidates.

And I actually think Bob Stoops is a realistic possibility. Doesn't mean it will happen, but it's not far fetched either.

It's pretty far-fetched actually.

The media often convinces people that there are job rankings and that a coach might consider leaving the #5 job for the #3 job. Coaches typically don't think that way. Stoops knows he can win big at Oklahoma and he knows he can win big at Florida. But he's been at Oklahoma for 15 years, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to completely uproot his family and start over for a lateral move.

Stoops also makes $5.25 million per year. Unless Florida is willing to bid in the $8 million range, seems unlikely he'd leave for purely monetary reasons.

You have a better shot at Mike Gundy IMO. For whatever reason, he seems a bit disgruntled at Oklahoma State. I was shocked that he considered Tennessee in 2013, because Ok State is his alma-mater and it's not like he isn't compensated well by T. Boone Pickens. Clearly, he's unhappy about something there, but it wasn't enough to lure him away in '13. Maybe it's gotten worse since then, though.

Lots of.chatter he could be the guy. Rumored he almost had the gig before Chump but the talks broke down BC of of salary numbers for staff. He wanted some heavy hitters.

Only problem with McDaniels might be the timing. If the Pats go deep into the playoffs, he wouldn't be able to be fully committed until late January/early Feb. Don't know how Foley would feel about that.

Last edited:
As much as it pains me to say it, Coach Cut would make a lot of sense. He is an accomplished coach with a successful SEC resume. He is renown for his ability to develop QBs (something FL fans are used to and have been missing for at least 4 yrs). His former OC is already there. If they do, they'll likely hire a big name DC as well. Chavis perhaps? I think he just extended his contract w LSU though.

I think he meant Bob Stoops.

sarcasm.jpg

Other possible coaches:
**i realize all are a bit of a stretch, but I would bet they've at least crossed Foleys mind.

Mark Dantonio MSU
Jim Mora Jr UCLA
Gary Pinckel MIZZU
Gary Patterson TCU
Kirby Smart ALA
Stoops OU (even though he claims otherwise) $$$

Just to name a few...

Other possible coaches:
**i realize all are a bit of a stretch, but I would bet they've at least crossed Foleys mind.

Mark Dantonio MSU
Jim Mora Jr UCLA
Gary Pinckel MIZZU
Gary Patterson TCU
Kirby Smart ALA
Stoops OU (even though he claims otherwise) $$$

Just to name a few...

I hope they get Smart or Morris out of all these lists.

VN Store

Back