Say it ain't. so Cut..

Ulysees E. McGill

What is dead, may never die
David Cutcliff's name gaining traction on sportstalk down here. Lord that would suck. Anybody but the gators.

Last edited:
No way I could see them hiring Cut at this point unless it was a last option. He's sixty with a history of heart issues, I just can't see him being an option for them when they would likely have to replace him after 5 years.

Who was that that started a thread saying the curse was lifted the other day......If Cut gets the job, man it's gonna be some sad singing and flower bringing on Volnation.

Reactions: 1 person
Thought of him...last HC they hired from Duke worked out ok. Wouldn't need to be a great recruiter at Florida.

The Gators are interested, which does not mean Cutcliffe is leaving Duke.

At the same time, we had our shot to hire Cut, and Mike Hamilton decided to hire Dooley instead. The media even announced that we had hired Cut as our new coach, but then Hambone backed out because Cut wanted the power to bring his staff with him.

David Cutcliff's name gaining traction on sportstalk down here. Lord that would suck. Anybody but the gators,t

You need to do your part and start a mass campaign to float Dooley's name out there! That would be a world class hire for the Gators. C'mon man, make it happen.

David Cutcliffe in is his 60s,i think he'll retire at Duke. He's got zero pressure which is a great situation.

I think you are right. He goes out of his way to discuss how much he likes it there.

But, I will say this. The man can coach. You saw the difference he made when he returned to UT for two years on the late 00s.

Thought of him...last HC they hired from Duke worked out ok. Wouldn't need to be a great recruiter at Florida.

True, and, he did recruit Peyton to UT and kept Eli at Ole Miss. I think he'd tear up recruiting if he was at Florida just because he wouldn't have to try too hard. He can develop talent like we all saw last year; it's just much harder to get that same level of performance consistently at a school like Duke in anything other than basketball.

I don't buy this. They were ready to run Roper out of town along with his offense. Cut gets the job....he's not firing Roper.

I think you are right. He goes out of his way to discuss how much he likes it there.

But, I will say this. The man can coach. You saw the difference he made when he returned to UT for two years on the late 00s.

When he retires Duke will fall back to last place in the ACC once again. That will show how much Cut has meant to that program.

Why would he consider Florida when he turned UT down so to speak several years ago? He's a king at Duke. He IS the.Duke.

The Gators are interested, which does not mean Cutcliffe is leaving Duke.

At the same time, we had our shot to hire Cut, and Mike Hamilton decided to hire Dooley instead. The media even announced that we had hired Cut as our new coach, but then Hambone backed out because Cut wanted the power to bring his staff with him.

You may be right but that is not what I remember. For one, the fan base here would have lost their freaking mind if we fired Fulmer to hire Cutcliffe less than a year later. I remember that there was talk(not sure how credible) the Cutcliffe was in no way interested in taking the job so soon after Fulmer was fired. Not to mention he would have been an absolute dud of a hire at the time. Remember, the knock on Cutcliffe before the Duke revival was that his only successes were with a Manning at QB. Right or wrong. May have worked out fine, but I doubt it. The truth, not that anyone wants to hear it, is that as bad as Dooley was, no coach was going to win with the condition our program was in 4 years ago. Well, maybe a huge personality that could have convinced 5 stars to come to a piss-poor UT team at the time. And the only person who I can think of who could have done that is Saban( or Gruden of course..lol).

Reactions: 2 people
Why would he consider Florida when he turned UT down so to speak several years ago? He's a king at Duke. He IS the.Duke.

Because of Fulmer. I agree he stay at Duke, but I think his friendship with Fulmer has kept him from coming here. The wounds have healed now, but I believe it was a factor. Winning at Duke does not mean he can win other places, but it takes a special coach to win at Duke, Stanford, Vandy ..... No , James Franklin is not special. Well, he is special, but not in the same way.

One thing not being mentioned is that Cutcliffe has dealt with some heart problems (which kept him from being an assistant at Notre Dame in '05). Coaching in a less stressful situation may not just be a choice, it's probably what his health demands.

Florida needs to go after Bob Petrino,he would take the job i guarantee it

Don't think he would. Petrino will not leave Louisville that quick. I mean, hell, he could, but I can't imagine that one of his main priorities in life is not to rebuild his credibility. Give him a few years and maybe. But then again, his history is the take opportunities when they present themselves. Plus, who do you think will likely have the better overall ranking in the next 3 years, Florida or Louisville? Louisville has become a great resume builder for coaching. Florida recruiting pipeline,Mid level SEC talent playing outside of the SEC. Good combo for success.

I have a feeling that it will either be Bob Stoops or Pete Carroll.....

Just a feeling..............

Don't think Carroll is going anywhere soon. Stoops is my top guess, but still only 20% chance in my book. Mullen's job if he wanted it. Lane is in there somewhere. Looks like a mastermind O guy right now with Sims improvement, can recruit and his wife is a FLA grad. His college resume is not as bad as people want to pretend. His USC gig not that bad considering he had so many fewer scholarship players than another team in the country, and he inherited maybe the most overhyped QB in history since Maranovich. Really fairly amazing recruiting on his part to have some few scholarships yet still able to convince so many 5 starts to come anyway when it was clear they were a few years away from being able to compete at the highest level. Don't get me wrong, I have deep resentment for the guy (although I understand why he left for USC)

VN Store

Back