NCAA Identity Crisis

YorkVol

Interesting article in yesterday's Washington Post. The Penn State lawyers are up in arms over the email traffic where the NCAA acknowledged they had no authority to levy a $60 million dollar fine, but were still able to bully the school into paying it. This is just one piece of evidence of the NCAA overstepping their authority and further evidence that it needs to be replaced.

It

In e-mails, NCAA admitted it bluffed Penn State into accepting Jerry Sandusky sanctions - The Washington Post

Penn State sanctions case: PSU attorney vents, NCAA staffer calls leadership 'image-conscious,' more | PennLive.com

The NCAA has lost their credibility to me.

What little legitimacy the NCAA had was completely pissed away during the Penn State debacle. They have no power anymore.

Yet they continue to exercise it.

Not really. Penn State was the last time they exercised any power and it's blowing up in their face. Nothing of significance will come of the UNC investigation just as nothing in the Miami case.

PHP:
Not really. Penn State was the last time they exercised any power and it's blowing up in their face. Nothing of significance will come of the UNC investigation just as nothing in the Miami case.

Yup. It's all over but the posturing.

So what will eventually happen to the NCAA? Will there ever be real change?

The power 5 will regulate their own and the NCAA will be relegated to overseeing the rest.

So a not-particularly-but-sorta-related question: if and when the Power 5 start "regulating their own", do you think that they will address the blatant homerism displayed by certain conference referee programs?

(Obviously this does not exist in the SEC, but for the sake of argument. :popcorn:)

I thought they changed the Gurley punishment, or was that self imposed?

I thought they changed the Gurley punishment, or was that self imposed?

Pretty sure the 4 games were concluded by the NCAA. At least that's how it sounded on the local news here in Georgia.

Yeah within 5 years I see the Power 5 giving the NCAA the finger. I think you saw a big opening shot from the University of Texas this year on paying their athletes.

Yeah within 5 years I see the Power 5 giving the NCAA the finger. I think you saw a big opening shot from the University of Texas this year on paying their athletes.

Wasn't that ordered by a Judge? If so, that's not really giving the finger as much as getting it.

The NCAA is like the kid that the parents get to choose if they're a boy and a girl.

Wasn't that ordered by a Judge? If so, that's not really giving the finger as much as getting it.

Not sure I understand, was what ordered by a Judge the paying of atheletes? I thought that was a university decision that might have been initiated by the lawsuit (was it Northwestern?) earlier this year?

Not sure I understand, was what ordered by a Judge the paying of atheletes? I thought that was a university decision that might have been initiated by the lawsuit (was it Northwestern?) earlier this year?

Well, the O'Bannon case is being appealed by both sides, the problem being the NCAA already conceded in part to some issues, which is why the ruling in itself makes little sense on a whole.

The National Labor Board ruling as to whether the players can unionized is being appealed by NW, the players have voted and I think it won't be released pending the appeal.

Either way you have about 3-4 dozen other suits, and the NCAA/some schools have admitted very damaging things. My guess was in 6-10 years the only thing we are talking about is how much the schools are going to have to dish out in damages. The wiser schools are starting to get the picture but they better hurry up.

The NCAA as you now know it will not exist in its current context in due course.

VN Store

Back