Question on Florida fake FG

ForkedDeerVol

Thought I would ask this here. It hit me last night while watching the SEC network. When Florida ran the fake FG against Georgia the holder , who ran and scored , knee was down when he took snap. Why is he able to run ?

Refs seem to let this go a lot. Unless there's a caveat in the rulebook that I've never been able to find, then I don't understand why the play isn't dead the moment he stands up.

There is a caveat in the rulebook, otherwise the holder would be ruled down with the ball before the kick ever occurred.

Refs seem to let this go a lot. Unless there's a caveat in the rulebook that I've never been able to find, then I don't understand why the play isn't dead the moment he stands up.

By that logic wouldn't the play be dead the moment the balls was snapped and the holder took possession? That would mean no field goals or extra points. I am sure there is something in the rule book.

By that logic wouldn't the play be dead the moment the balls was snapped and the holder took possession? That would mean no field goals or extra points. I am sure there is something in the rule book.

The rules for placekicking are well-defined. A placekick is different from a standard play from scrimmage.

There may well be a caveat, I really don't know, but it seems like the second a holder stands up to either carry on throw the ball, it becomes a standard play from scrimmage.

Here you go.

b. When any part of the runner’s body, except his hand or foot, touches
the ground or when the runner is tackled or otherwise falls and loses
possession of the ball as he contacts the ground with any part of his
body, except his hand or foot. (Exception: The ball remains alive when
an offensive player has simulated a kick or is in position to kick the ball
held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or
advanced by rule) (A.R. 4-1-3-I).

Reactions: 4 people
The rules for placekicking are well-defined. A placekick is different from a standard play from scrimmage.

There may well be a caveat, I really don't know, but it seems like the second a holder stands up to either carry on throw the ball, it becomes a standard play from scrimmage.
Logic is hard I know

When you said the "the refs seem to over look this," as supposed to saying I don't know but logic dictates there is probably a rule.

When you said the "the refs seem to over look this," as supposed to saying I don't know but logic dictates there is probably a rule.

Quote looks like it says "refs seem to let this go a lot" not "the refs seem to over look this"

If you have to completely misquote me in order to try and make a point, then you never had a point to begin with.

Nice try, though.

VN Store

Back