SEC has lost almost all credibility and integrity in officiating

Crew

...stay frosty.
SEC has lost almost all credibility and integrity in officiating | FOX Sports

Two weeks ago, I asked the national coordinator of officials, Rogers Redding, who also happens to be the former coordinator of officials for the SEC, about this and he vehemently denied this process was taking place. He said the communications system was only for use of the officials on the field and no other person was on that system.

Bull.

Here’s the deal: I greatly respect the SEC. They have the strongest football conference in the country. They’ve had an incredible commissioner in Slive, who is retiring July 31, 2015. What Slive has done for the SEC -- and for the total landscape of college football -- is incredible. He’s had a great impact on the game.

But now I think it’s time to challenge the SEC’s credibility and integrity when it comes to officiating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Possibly.... and the Pac-12/Fox vs. the ESPN/SEC angle to this shouldn't be over looked; but It's a former ref calling out refs for being less than good at their jobs and/or possibly corrupt.

Too many lulz to pass up the story.

Reactions: 1 person
That is interesting that he caught this. In last night's game, I couldn't believe it took them that long to call the personal foul on UT. It seemed like 10 minutes. I got the feeling that they changed their original call. They were closer to the Bama sideline and you could see Saban talking to them the whole time.

I am not really a conspiracy theorist, but there is no doubt that the SEC has officiating issues. They either protect some if their schools, or they have some bad officials. Never understood how the best conference could have so many incompetent officials. It really is NBA-esque.

Reactions: 5 people
Everyone makes mistakes. However, when a referee creates a foul out of thin air; that's not a mistake. When an official refuses to call a foul that happens multiple times throughout the game; that's not a mistake.

SEC officiating has gotten so bad that it has gained national attention. People that have no connection to the SEC are seeing it. The NFL (and apparently the other FBS conferences) does a much better job of oversight. The SEC can't openly admit to having several officials that are either incompetent or showing favortism because they are in the business of making money. But most folks know that it is happening.

Refs did not cause you to lose last night, but yeah, it's time to retire some of the good ole boys.

It's amazing to me how many games we have lost because of the refs. It is equally amazing that we have never won a game because of the refs...... Oh wait

Last edited:
Everyone makes mistakes. However, when a referee creates a foul out of thin air; that's not a mistake. When an official refuses to call a foul that happens multiple times throughout the game; that's not a mistake.

SEC officiating has gotten so bad that it has gained national attention. People that have no connection to the SEC are seeing it. The NFL (and apparently the other FBS conferences) does a much better job of oversight. The SEC can't openly admit to having several officials that are either incompetent or showing favortism because they are in the business of making money. But most folks know that it is happening.

And like any business, it's built on systems designed to maximize profits. Officiating is only one of the tools in the tool chest, IMO.

Refs did not cause you to lose last night, but yeah, it's time to retire some of the good ole boys.

I assume this was directed at me. I never said UT lost last night because of the officials. In fact, has anyone in this thread said that? UT lost last night because Alabama is a better football team. Any reasonable fan realizes that.

Every fan base claims to have lost games because of the refs but I have never once witnessed a fan base that said "we won because of the refs." The point is it's easier to blame the refs then realize you got beat

Last edited:
Irrelevant to the outcome, but we could not figure out what in the world they were talking about for so long last night.

Penn Wagers still being an SEC referee is all you need to know about the quality of refs in this conference.

He's a ref.. everyone isnt supposed to know his name. The fact that everyone is so familiar with him is enough to second guess his current employment.

I thought it was between quarters and they waited for TV to come back from commercials.

Last edited:
I thought it was between quarters and they waited for TV to come back from commercials.

I watched the players that were involved as the play was going on. The flag was thrown before the Tennessee player committed the personal foul (shove after the whistle), which was a retaliation to the personal foul the Alabama player committed. That should have definitely been offsetting personals. Instead, they threw the flag on the Bama player and only pinned the crime on the Vol. I was the only person in my section that caught it, and everyone was confused why I was raging.

I watched the players that were involved as the play was going on. The flag was thrown before the Tennessee player committed the personal foul (shove after the whistle), which was a retaliation to the personal foul the Alabama player committed. That should have definitely been offsetting personals. Instead, they threw the flag on the Bama player and only pinned the crime on the Vol. I was the only person in my section that caught it, and everyone was confused why I was raging.

I thought I heard in another game this year that the officials have changed how they handle the "retaliation", in that they will flag the player who "retaliated". If a player does not retaliate, they will flag the initial player who committed the infraction. There will no longer be offsetting penalties in this case.

At least that's the way I understood it.

VN Store

Back