The other UT to be the first to pay student athletes

I can understand football and basketball being included, but what about track, tennis, soccer, swimming, and other non-profit making sports?!? It's bad enough that tuition and student fees go to support programs that do not contribute to the financial stability and economic viability of institutions, but now we will make it worse by also paying the athletes of these sports as employees? This was an absurd ruling.

If we pay them as employees, then schools should be allowed to factor in the benefit package (tuition, books, meals, tutoring, housing, etc) as part of the total compensation. Once all of these benefits are added together, how could you justify another $10,000 per athlete? This ruling will result in tuition increases for students and tax increases for everyone.

Reactions: 3 people
totally ridiculous! I'm glad my kids will be out of college by the time these increases take effect due to paying the athletes (one is in grad school and the other is a junior at UT). Tuition is already more than what it should be!.....unless you don't want to work to better yourself and then the government will pay the tuition for you through FAFSA!

Reactions: 1 person
Posted here because it will effect Tennessee Football....but now i fill that i should've posted in around the ncaa forum....mods please move :) Sorry

Texas is going to be the first to pay student athletes:

University of Texas to use $6M per year to begin paying student athletes - Austin Business Journal

Thoughts?

$6,000,000 is not much, when you consider that both male & female athletes will want in on this deal. All sports will want in on this deal to include NON - REVENUE sports.
So, the other sports will benefit from the monies earned by the football, male & female basketball teams.
Athletes MAY get a couple of $1,000 per year.

This is the begining of the end yall. From here super conf will begin to align and college football as you know it will change for ever.....FOREVER(in my best sandlot voice)

$6,000,000 is not much, when you consider that both male & female athletes will want in on this deal. All sports will want in on this deal to include NON - REVENUE sports.
So, the other sports will benefit from the monies earned by the football, male & female basketball teams.
Athletes MAY get a couple of $1,000 per year.

if you read the article it comes out to $10,000 per student athlete according to the University of Texas including 5000 for the usage of their likeness and the rest to cover things the scholarship does not cover.

if you read the article it comes out to $10,000 per student athlete according to the University of Texas including 5000 for the usage of their likeness and the rest to cover things the scholarship does not cover.

also it's worth mentioning that this will only cover scholarship athletes athletes playing off scholarship

Things are slowly playing out as I thought but probably have years and years of this to go. Each school is going to have to comply with its own State laws and where Federal law might apply.

This is the begining of the end yall. From here super conf will begin to align and college football as you know it will change for ever.....FOREVER(in my best sandlot voice)

Alignment based on payment would open up even more lawsuits, I mean they have already lost one case to anti-trust, with many more to go.... so how exactly would alignment be based? Super conferences were coming anyway.

Colleges need to start catching on at a faster pace or they will just be on the hook for more, eventually their will suits that dwarf the present suits, I would imagine.

totally ridiculous! I'm glad my kids will be out of college by the time these increases take effect due to paying the athletes (one is in grad school and the other is a junior at UT). Tuition is already more than what it should be!.....unless you don't want to work to better yourself and then the government will pay the tuition for you through FAFSA!

You and whoever liked that bs need to learn what you are talking about. It's not free money. So myopic and ignorant.

I can understand football and basketball being included, but what about track, tennis, soccer, swimming, and other non-profit making sports?!? It's bad enough that tuition and student fees go to support programs that do not contribute to the financial stability and economic viability of institutions, but now we will make it worse by also paying the athletes of these sports as employees? This was an absurd ruling.

If we pay them as employees, then schools should be allowed to factor in the benefit package (tuition, books, meals, tutoring, housing, etc) as part of the total compensation. Once all of these benefits are added together, how could you justify another $10,000 per athlete? This ruling will result in tuition increases for students and tax increases for everyone.

Texas' athletics department gets no revenue from student fees or institutional or state sources.

I was thinking same thing. How can they do this and still be under the NCAA?

The NCAA can't stop Texas from complying with court orders, to be honest, I don't see enough info as to what they are complying with. I am assuming this has to do with O'Bannon and other suits but I don't know.

Either way the NCAA as you know it is pretty much done. The only thing the NCAA should be regulating is the rules and officiating within the four corners of the playing court or field, in general.

The sooner the schools start addressing all the various issues the better it will be, eventually there will be very few restrictions on players other than agreements they have between the individual schools.

Who gets paid for these?

Attachments

• IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
Texas' athletics department gets no revenue from student fees or institutional or state sources.

True, but it creates a recruiting advantage for Texas if other schools, who are not self-funded, do not also pay their athletes.

VN Store

Back