Muschamp Replacement

I heard Foley is driving around the country looking for Woody Widenhofer at toll booths.

Barring a national championship this year, I think Dan Mullen has to be at the top of the list.

As for who is best for Tennessee: Florida deciding to shut down their football program, maybe?

good god, could we have about 50 million more ****ing threads about Muschamp?

Reactions: 4 people
Ed Orgeron would be a nice hire

Albert Gator's cryin'...
through dem white felt gator teef
Albert Gator's cryin'...
He needs some real relief.

He asked Coach Orgeron
Can you save us from this stress?
Coach O rips his shirt off,
and this is what he says.

EVERYBODY!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Bobby "the brace" Petrino to UF gives me nightmares.

Bobby "the brace" Petrino to UF gives me nightmares.

This. I would guess that would be best case scenario for them. In fact, now that you've mentioned it, I'm terrified.
A grand slam would be hiring him as HC and keeping Muschamp as DC.

Now watch that happen.

This. I would guess that would be best case scenario for them. In fact, now that you've mentioned it, I'm terrified.

Now watch that happen.

You suck!!!!! Already told you i was having nightmares. Now i will be facing night terrors. Thanks.

Now watch that happen.

Give them one tuneup year and then just hand them the SEC East crown and slowly back away until one of them goes rogue and rips the other's throat out.

You suck!!!!! Already told you i was having nightmares. Now i will be facing night terrors. Thanks.

While I think Booby is a possibility, there is zero chance Muschamp sticks around in coordinator role. Name one time that has happened. Why would the incoming coach even entertain that idea?

petrino did get louisville to drop a million a yr on granthahm and its worked out so far louisville is a top ranked defense

hopefully if we did hire him he would get a great DC but im thinkin he might need to beat fsu to even be on our radar or atleast get his guys to play a hell of a game such as ND did

petrino did get louisville to drop a million a yr on granthahm and its worked out so far louisville is a top ranked defense

hopefully if we did hire him he would get a great DC but im thinkin he might need to beat fsu to even be on our radar or atleast get his guys to play a hell of a game such as ND did

Is Bobby P worth the $10M buyout to Louisville?

That would be at least $16M combined after Muschamp gets fired

It won't be Mullen or anyone from Meyer era. That rumor broke Monday.

SI take:

Here’s an early look at the potential hires and fires around the nation, with an attempt to separate perception from reality. (Information comes from interviews with agents, athletic directors, coaches and various other sources.)

FLORIDA

Perception: This should be easy, right? Athletic director Jeremy Foley will tab former Gators offensive coordinator Dan Mullen as his next head coach. Mullen has led Mississippi State to the No. 1 ranking, and he’d bring to Gainesville many of the things Muschamp lacks -- extensive SEC head coaching experience, a distinguished offensive pedigree and polish with the media. (There was even a hiredanmullen.com, until Mullen spoke out against it.)

Reality: It’s much more complicated. It would be considered a major surprise if Foley even calls Mullen. Foley advised Mullen against taking the Mississippi State job when he left Florida in December 2008 (considering the century of bad football in Starkville that probably wasn’t bad advice). The two don’t have a bad relationship, but its more neutral than chummy. Foley hiring Mullen would be an admission that he made a mistake in overlooking him last time. The Florida brass would also likely have to welcome back Mullen’s co-offensive coordinators, Billy Gonzales and John Hevesy, neither of whom exited Florida on the greatest terms (Gonzales bolted for LSU and Hevesy left with Mullen for Mississippi State. So did operations guru Jon Clark, who would surely come along). The feeling here is that if Mullen ends up getting hired, it happens because someone from the outside pressures Foley. So that means it’s unlikely.

Mullen wasn’t exactly beloved during his time at Florida, as fans called for his job and administrators were ambivalent. Foley isn’t itching for a tie to the Urban Meyer era, either. Some of this comes down to Foley’s ego and whether he can swallow his pride. The guess from almost every corner is that Mullen won’t get the job.

​Perception: In the watered-down SEC East, Florida’s a quick fix.

Reality: Florida could easily be back atop the East in two years if it makes the right hire and finds a competent quarterback. But the Gators have coasted on the notion that “It’s Florida” for too long. That certainly worked when Tim Tebow was gashing defenses and Meyer led the Gators to national titles in 2006 and ‘08. But Florida has failed to keep up in the facility game. Florida’s stadium is iconic, but the rest of its football facilities are considered from pedestrian to poor by SEC standards. Florida upgraded its practice fields this summer, but it still lacks the type of gaudy stand-alone football facility, with indoor space, that have become commonplace in the SEC. Florida is looking into whether to build an indoor facility to catch up to its SEC peers, but nothing has been formalized. Foley is one of the best athletic directors in America, but this is one of the areas where he’s missed.

Who is next? Expect Foley to make another run at Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops. But there’s nothing to indicate Stoops will take the job this time. Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze is an intriguing candidate, but Foley is plugged in enough to have concerns about reports that NCAA is looking into the Rebels program.

Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez has the offensive ingenuity and head coaching success to fit in Gainesville, but the low-key Rodriguez and hard-driving Foley seem like an odd couple. Rodriguez’s success recruiting Florida while at West Virginia would be a plus, but he’d likely need a staff upgrade. It’s debatable if he’d do that.

Is Bobby P worth the $10M buyout to Louisville?

That would be at least $16M combined after Muschamp gets fired

well **** we aint paying 10 million to louisville for bobby p

then we'd have to give him about 3.5 or 4 million a yr too

Somebody go over to their site and start the Gruden rumors.

VN Store

Back