I wonder how much of this is true

Not groundbreaking. Charles Barkley has been saying the same thing for 20 years.

It's pretty easy to make bold claims without offering real evidence. Seems like an out of work qb with a history of questionable off the field issues looking for that last glimmer of spot light before becoming a failed Real Estate broker back in his home town.

and if he was paid, he owes whoever cut the check a reimbursement for his Jr. and Senior year.

Reactions: 3 people
I once coached with an assistant coach that played at ole miss. He told me the stars got paid. He had a room mate that had several visits from a coach they called the money coach. He would show up with a briefcase at their room and would leave without it. The coach told me that his room mate always had lots of cash on hand. He also said that boosters would even shake his hand and there would be a couple hundred in it. Happened all the time. This was in the 80s, I imagine it still goes on.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but no way it is as widespread as folks like Garcia claim it to be.

But, this particular story has to be taken with a very large grain of salt. Garcia is not what one would call "an unimpeachable source".

It is a silly rule.

And if it was Winston's only transgression, I wouldn't think much of it.

Thing is, it was like his ninth. And the import of it was not in that he did it, but that it is symptomatic of the fact that a) Winston is an arrogant pr/ck and so I just don't like him; and b) FSU is turning yet another blind eye to any bad news about him.

Again, its not the act that's the issue. Its FSU's bewildering refusal to even check into it.

Reactions: 1 person
It's pretty easy to make bold claims without offering real evidence. Seems like an out of work qb with a history of questionable off the field issues looking for that last glimmer of spot light before becoming a failed Real Estate broker back in his home town.

He should get with Donovan McNabb and they can bash current players together.

It is a silly rule.

Thing is, it was like his ninth. And the import of it was not in that he did it, but that it is symptomatic of the fact that a) Winston is an arrogant pr/ck and so I just don't like him; and b) FSU is turning yet another blind eye to any bad news about him.

Again, its not the act that's the issue. Its FSU's bewildering refusal to even check into it.

Much topical.

It is a silly rule.

The problem I have is the selective enforcement by the AA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Free money for good players has been going on for a millennium.

Back when I was a young pup working my way through school, Jimmy Noonan was a stud nose guard at TN. He brought in a POS car to the dealership I worked at and walked out with several hundred dollars worth of work that I'm sure he didn't pay for.

Hundred dollar handshakes were and are a part of the game. The NCAA needs to get a life.

He should get with Donovan McNabb and they can bash current players together.

That's exactly the reason when FoxSports1 launched and I was trying to give them a chance, I couldn't. McNabb is a tremendous scorned ex girlfriend with an agenda. I'd already forgotten Garcia was alive until this. Pathetic

I would have no reason to believe it doesn't happen. Last year there was the money guy article. Add to that the various player testimonies (either caught or not).

It would seem naïve to think money switching hands is not pervasive in big time NCAA sports.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but no way it is as widespread as folks like Garcia claim it to be.

But, this particular story has to be taken with a very large grain of salt. Garcia is not what one would call "an unimpeachable source".

Willing to bet its very widespread..Happened under Fulmer and every other big name university..Guarantee it happens more than you think..So many ways to hide it.

VN Store

Back