Dan Mullen sticking it to Gators

Not sure I see how different this is from about 40% of the "fanbase" here asking for (insert any coach's name here) to get fired each year.

Reactions: 7 people
Not sure I see how different this is from about 40% of the "fanbase" here asking for (insert any coach's name here) to get fired each year.

It's not and he makes sure to point that out in the article (that this is a larger problem). But given Muschamps recent statement about UF job > UT job it still felt great to see Mullen publicly reject Gators and call out their fan base.

Reactions: 2 people
Not sure I see what is so special about what Mullen says. Name one coach that is OK with a riled up fan base in any sport on any campus. Mullen is no different.

Move along............no real story here folks.

I thought it was telling that Mullen referenced the fact that MSU fans had a "fire coach Mullen" website last season.

Reactions: 2 people
Not sure I see what is so special about what Mullen says. Name one coach that is OK with a riled up fan base in any sport on any campus. Mullen is no different.

Move along............no real story here folks.

Story is potential future competent HC at Florida...kinda affects us? :dunno:

We are not talking about just any fan base here but Gators who think they are special which makes them particularly annoying. That's why Mullen publicly calling them out is pretty special (at least to me).

We are not talking about just any fan base here but Gators who think they are special which makes them particularly annoying. That's why Mullen publicly calling them out is pretty special (at least to me).

We think we're pretty special as well............juss sayin

Reactions: 1 person

Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps one difference is that none of the head coaches fired from UT have had any success elsewhere (Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, Martin), and Cut is the only assistant I can think of off the top of my head that has gone on to have success as a head coach (and the fans didn't want him fired).

Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps one difference is that none of the head coaches fired from UT have had any success elsewhere (Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, Martin), and Cut is the only assistant I can think of off the top of my head that has gone on to have success as a head coach (and the fans didn't want him fired).

But it's not like before Fulmer was fired we had a lot of head coaching turnover in the first place. And in my opinion the jury is still out on Kiffin, Dooley, and Martin - they are all young enough to turn things around. Kiffin and Dooley seem to be pretty well respected as X's and O's coaches - don't know if that eventually translates into new head coaching opportunities but can't be completely ruled out. Martin was a huge loss in my opinion - he will be very successful wherever he ends up in the future.

But it's not like before Fulmer was fired we had a lot of head coaching turnover in the first place. And in my opinion the jury is still out on Kiffin, Dooley, and Martin - they are all young enough to turn things around. Kiffin and Dooley seem to be pretty well respected as X's and O's coaches - don't know if that eventually translates into new head coaching opportunities but can't be completely ruled out. Martin was a huge loss in my opinion - he will be very successful wherever he ends up in the future.

Dooley respected as an X's and O's coach? Have you lost your mind?

Reactions: 3 people
I read this entirely differently than the OP. This is just coach speak. He wasn't dissing the UF fan base, he was dissing the entire rabid fanbase as a whole, to include Miss St. I didn't see ANYTHING in the article that would convince me he wouldn't go to UF if given the opportunity. And, to be fair, I didn't see anything that convinced he would go to UF if given the opportunity. It was quite simply a more dramatic version of coach speak.

Dooley respected as an X's and O's coach? Have you lost your mind?

Of course he is - currently doing a great job with Cowboys WR's. Even at UT he was a great offensive coach - built one of the best offenses UT ever had during 3 year he was here. However that's all he was - he completely outsourced the defense (including recruiting) and that was the reason he failed as HC.

He's well respected in Dallas. And look how good his position players are doing as further proof.

The WR corp at Dallas was good before doolittle arrived. The cowboys offense in general has drastically gotten better as a unit, and Romo is earning his pay now.

The WR corp at Dallas was good before doolittle arrived. The cowboys offense in general has drastically gotten better as a unit, and Romo is earning his pay now.

The Dallas WR unit wasn't good at all two seasons ago. They had the talent and potential, but couldn't live up to the hype.

I read this entirely differently than the OP. This is just coach speak. He wasn't dissing the UF fan base, he was dissing the entire rabid fanbase as a whole, to include Miss St. I didn't see ANYTHING in the article that would convince me he wouldn't go to UF if given the opportunity. And, to be fair, I didn't see anything that convinced he would go to UF if given the opportunity. It was quite simply a more dramatic version of coach speak.

I agree. We need to beat them on the field before we pick up rocks from other people's yard to throw at them.

And we are - but are we as arrogant? That is really the most annoying thing about Gators.

You're wearing some orange colored glasses. No, we're not as arrogant now, but in the 90s our fanbase had its share.

UF isn't nearly as removed from winning as us, so there is some lingering arrogance.

It's not and he makes sure to point that out in the article (that this is a larger problem). But given Muschamps recent statement about UF job > UT job it still felt great to see Mullen publicly reject Gators and call out their fan base.

We'll see how much he's rejecting when they show him the check. That tends to change a lot of minds, and there are tons of examples.

Maybe UF will hire The Kiffin. His wife and brother-in-law are Gators. He's kind of rehabbed his coaching credentials. UF's offense sucks and he's a "proven" offensive commodity. They could get him for cheap and with stiff buy-out language. He's a good recruiter.

Please hire Lane.

Maybe UF will hire The Kiffin. His wife and brother-in-law are Gators. He's kind of rehabbed his coaching credentials. UF's offense sucks and he's a "proven" offensive commodity. They could get him for cheap and with stiff buy-out language. He's a good recruiter.

Please hire Lane.

I would hate to see Gators hire him as I think he is a really good coach (I hated to see him leave UT for that reason).

VN Store

Back