Mike Slive is retiring!

200.gif

Sorry he has prostate cancer but glad he will be gone. I hate the way he handled the Bruce Pearl matter and he just comes across as a sleazy lawyer. Just a big phony.

Sorry he has prostate cancer but glad he will be gone. I hate the way he handled the Bruce Pearl matter and he just comes across as a sleazy lawyer. Just a big phony.

I'm no Mike Slive fan but many don't realize that he went to bat for Pearl with the AA.

Kiffin just turned in his letter of resignation to bama and is currently politicking to be the next SEC Commissioner.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't really keep up with commissioners, and I'm not really an "SEC, SEC, SEC" kinda guy, so honest question...How much does Slive have to do with the SEC being the premier conference in CFB?

I'm no Mike Slive fan but many don't realize that he went to bat for Pearl with the AA.

It was hollow support and the NCAA viewed it as such. Slive had already suspended Pearl for 8 regular season SEC games and he had been banned from off campus recruiting. Pearl still got the show cause penalty which he would have had regardless of what Slive had done at the hearing. Slive had already showed his hand by throwing the book at Pearl before he had his hearing with the NCAA COI...Take a good look at the penalties handed down to Frank Haith at Missouri and compare them with what Pearl got for far less egregious offenses and tell me there was equity and that Slive was consistent at all.

It was hollow support and the NCAA viewed it as such. Slive had already suspended Pearl for 8 regular season SEC games and he had been banned from off campus recruiting. Pearl still got the show cause penalty which he would have had regardless of what Slive had done at the hearing. Slive had already showed his hand by throwing the book at Pearl before he had his hearing with the NCAA COI...Take a good look at the penalties handed down to Frank Haith at Missouri and compare them with what Pearl got for far less egregious offenses and tell me there was equity and that Slive was consistent at all.

Slive had suspended Pearl in an attempt to head off the NCAAs suspension. The reason we/Pearl go hit harder was non other that Mike Hamilton. He pretty much bent over and said go to town. The reason Haith didn't get diddly was because he and Missouri to them to GTH.

You really don't seem to understand anything about what went down. The punishment given was so severe because Slive was attempting to pacify them.

You really don't seem to understand anything about what went down. The punishment given was so severe because Slive was attempting to pacify them.

I don't believe that take on it for a minute. Nobody that defends Slive for the excessive punishment of Pearl ever mentions that Slive was an attorney for Illinois during the Deon Thomas/Jimmy Collins scandal. I think Slive's punishment of Pearl reflects a grudge - nothing more or less. Slive did not pacify anyone. Pearl still got the 3 year show cause penalty anyway and I think that is what Slive knew would happen from the start. Slive just wanted his pound of flesh on the wall as well...but you believe what you want.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't believe that take on it for a minute. Nobody that defends Slive for the excessive punishment of Pearl ever mentions that Slive was an attorney for Illinois during the Deon Thomas/Jimmy Collins scandal. I think Slive's punishment of Pearl reflects a grudge - nothing more or less. Slive did not pacify anyone. Pearl still got the 3 year show cause penalty anyway and I think that is what Slive knew would happen from the start. Slive just wanted his pound of flesh on the wall as well...but you believe what you want.

And you can believe whatever wild conspiracy theory you want to, no matter how stupid it is.

And you can believe whatever wild conspiracy theory you want to, no matter how stupid it is.

It is not a theory to note that Slive was hired by Illlinois during the Deon Thomas scandal which was brought on by a tape recording provided to the NCAA by Bruce Pearl. That is fact. It is also not a theory to note that Pearl was effectively punished twice - both by his conference (Slive) and by the NCAA. That is fact. Finally, it is not a theory to note that the punishment Slive handed down in no way mitigated the punishment the NCAA handed down to Pearl. That is fact.

Reactions: 1 person
It is not a theory to note that Slive was hired by Illlinois during the Deon Thomas scandal which was brought on by a tape recording provided to the NCAA by Bruce Pearl. That is fact. It is also not a theory to note that Pearl was effectively punished twice - both by his conference (Slive) and by the NCAA. That is fact. Finally, it is not a theory to note that the punishment Slive handed down in no way mitigated the punishment the NCAA handed down to Pearl. That is fact.

Congratulations, you listed 3 facts; none of which prove Slive had a grudge.

You know...

I'd love to see Philip Fulmer in this position. Well respected in the SEC. I realize that it deals with all SEC sports, and not just football, but I believe that we need someone who has actually played sports in the SEC, has actually experienced going to an SEC school.

Slive is a lawyer who went to Dartmouth, Virginia, and Georgetown.

I'm a firm believer in not letting non-sports guys make sports rules.

JMO.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back