How did Florida get so BAD?

Dougie_D

This is a serious question.

I know they shuffled their coordinators but surely, some of them have been there since Muschamp got hired.

Probably doesn't help that Driskel is their biggest high profile bust at QB ever.

The fact is that the coaches failed to appreciate last year that Driskel is not able to consistently manage the passing game. So they did not focus on preparing either a scheme that would work for his extremely limited skill set, or a shared approach at the position. As a result, they hitched our wagon to him and it's blowing up.

In a sense I understand because he got injured so early in the season. So that's some bad luck that they didn't have the chance to see that he's just not very good.

But by now it's comically obvious. And Muschamp's ego won't let him admit he was wrong. That is the current problem.

Reactions: 1 person
The fans are tired of Muschamp. I was in section Last night and the stadium had 10-12k empty seats. Tailgating scene was subpar. The stadium was only loud in 1st & 4th quarter. Almost the entire stadium booed simultaneously when they ran the qb draw before the touchdown pass to Robinson.

No speed on offense outside of Dubose. Robinson is only playmaker they have and you saw with Sutton what a good db will do to him.

Driskel is not a winner and under throws almost every deep ball.

This style of play will never work with fans at Florida.

But by now it's comically obvious. And Muschamp's ego won't let him admit he was wrong. That is the current problem.

The problem I see going forward is to me limited talent on the O side even if someone comes in next year, you're probably looking at a multi-year rebuild. LSU's offense looks bad at times as well, so I am not throwing stones or anything. However, at least as a LSU fan I notice all the players who are making the plays for LSU are mostly freshmen or sophomores at most of the key positions. I am just not sure what UF does to turn this around.

Muschamp. Hope he enjoyed seeing all those sad faces leaving The Swamp last night. :):dance2:

And we still found a way to lose to them last year and this year. Yay.......

I feel like UT has in place the building blocks to be pretty good within 1 to 2 years, not sure I feel that way about UF right now.

And UT is still behind them.

This should have been our year to win and then watch the dumpster fire.

No speed on offense outside of Dubose. Robinson is only playmaker they have and you saw with Sutton what a good db will do to him.

lol you mean what a **** qb does drob could a burned his ass if driskel knew how to hit a deep ball

sutton is a good corner but come on the qb killed everything in the passing game that day

Last edited:
heres a little breakdown i found of what the new coach would have to work with

- Two highly rated young quarterbacks who would both likely stick around if a new offensive coach came in, knowing they'll get clean slate to compete for the job.

-- Solid at running back with Brandon Powell looking like a player, Kelvin Taylor around for another two years and Matt Jones still having another (assuming he doesn't jump to the NFL).

-- At least one potential game-breaker at receiver who might be utilized better with a new offensive staff and approach on that side of the ball.

-- The offensive line is young, but there's at least solid depth at the position now. In the immediacy, you've got likely Humphries, Moore, Thurman, Johnson back next year, with Sharpe seeming likely to be at least a serviceable tackle. Throw in some of the guys like Mike, Kelleher (if he can get cleared) and a new haul this year, and you'll have a solid group there moving forward.

-- The defensive line looks like it's got some young studs for the future in guys like Alex McCalister, Caleb Brantley, Thomas, Holley, Bryan Cox, Gerald Willis and Joey Ivie. Also some solid depth behind those guys with the potential for a killer class if a new staff can land CeCe and Cowart. That's a really solid foundation.

-- You've got one more year of having one of the best cornerbacks in the country, and Jalen Tabor has looked awesome the last two weeks. That's a very, very solid duo coming back next year. Couple that with a solid defensive line and you'll probably have a defense that can keep you in just about every game in 2015, meaning a quick turnaround is definitely possible if a new quarterback and a new system can spark the offense.

My Thoughts

There's absolutely the potential for a pretty quick turnaround. There's still some talent gaps on offense. I think the biggest issue is that Florida's speed has largely disappeared under Will Muschamp's watch. It's startling that things can look so different when one speed guy like Powell finally gets on the field. The Gators used to have dozens and dozens of those guys under Urban Meyer.

A new coach with a new offensive system can land guys like that who can contribute immediately, starting with the 2015 class, IMO. I think the biggest danger right now in keeping Muschamp is that he just doesn't have any recruiting momentum at all and it's sooooooo easy to negative recruit him to keep those offensive guys away from Florida.

It's as close as you can get to a vicious cycle on offense that's impossible to get out of. A new coach instantly snaps that and generates a ton of momentum just by virtue of being a change and eliminating a lot of that negative momentum and negative recruiting.

Succeed well in Year 1 with a new coach and suddenly you've got an avalanche of momentum moving forward with a fairly solid roster.

Last edited:
lol you mean what a **** qb does drob could a burned his ass if driskel knew how to hit a deep ball

sutton is a good corner but come on the qb killed everything in the passing game that day

Sutton got juked but recovered. Aside from that he made Robinson obsolete. Actually, including that play he was non existent.

By your logic VH3 must suck. I can think of several times he bit and QB's missed the throw also.

The facts are that both of them are fantastic but Sutton is bigger and more durable.

VN Store

Back