North Carolina 14 Notre Dame 0

The fix is in...roughing the snapper called on Carolina. Literally the first time that has ever been called

The fix is in...roughing the snapper called on Carolina. Literally the first time that has ever been called

Found this:

Illegal Personal Contact - Roughing the Snapper

Rule 9 Section 4

Art. 6. Roughing the snapper. A defensive player shall not charge directly into the snapper when the offensive team is in a scrimmage-kick formation.

Scrimmage Kick Formation

Rule 2 Section 14

Art. 2. A scrimmage-kick formation is a formation with at least one player 7 yards or more behind the neutral zone and in position to receive the long snap. No player may be in position to receive a hand-to-hand snap from between the snapper's legs.

I take it that since the long-snapper can't bring his head up like a center can when he's making the snap (due to the distance he's got to get the ball), it's to prevent him from either getting blind-sided or possibly to lower (or prevent) the chances of neck injury.

--------
Another interpretation:
"A defensive player shall not charge directly into the snapper when the offensive team is in a scrimmage-kick formation."

rovides two criteria that exonerate B from roughing the snapper: (1) B may charge the gap, and (2) make simultaneous contact with the snapper and the lineman next to him. The problem is that the case play repeats that "simultaneous contact" is permissible.

The purpose of the rule is to protect the neck of the snapper. His snap makes him vulnerable to direct contact as his neck in not in a proper position of strength in order to take on a direct hit.

-------------

Found this quote, though, also from a write-up:
Fedora did tell the media what Otis said to him though: “He said I don’t think I hit him too early. I know his head was up. It wasn’t too early.”

Last edited:

VN Store

Back