Predictions: Miss St vs Auburn

roddo518

Coach
I know it's early, but I see no weaknesses on msu. I keep hearing all these analyst talking up how good auburn is and how great their defense is but the K-State game keeps popping up in my mind. K-state left 2 or 3 more tds off the board and a couple of fg misses. Those td misses were not due to anything Auburn did, but dropped passes, etc. I think miss st beats auburn by at least 17 points. I could look bad on this prediction, but from what I've seen you had better bring your a+++ game if you don't want to get ran off the field.

Only weakness that State had was in the secondary but that unit held up against A&M. Miss State is on a roll and I expect them to beat Auburn.

Reactions: 1 person
Winner wins the sec, that's my prediction. This game is a toss up, but I guess msu gets the edge at home.

Would love to see MSU win this game, make the playoffs, win the NC, and then Mullen publicly turn down the Gators.

Reactions: 2 people
I haven't watched MSU play other than Prescott highlights. But is that team really top to bottom as talented as other SEC West schools? I don't recall their name coming up on recent recruiting hauls.

I don't think Mississippi State is ready to handle this level of prosperity. Auburn wins.

I don't think Mississippi State is ready to handle this level of prosperity. Auburn wins.

I thought that going into the tam game. After watching their line stone cold tam's rush, I'm a fan. Those boys were opening holes, getting push on run plays, and giving Prescott all the time he needed to survey the field. Sometimes for 4 and 5 seconds to throw The ball. Msu's defense has always been pretty salty, this year they have an offense to go with it. I recall so many close games msu has lost over the years 7-6, 14-10, etc because the offense just didn't move the ball.

State is just as good on offense, but has a better OL suited for a balanced attack and for the run. State is also better on defense and this game is in Starkville. State has easily been the most impressive team in the SEC thus far.

State is just as good on offense, but has a better OL suited for a balanced attack and for the run. State is also better on defense and this game is in Starkville. State has easily been the most impressive team in the SEC thus far.

What a joke of a post.

State has a better defense? They've given up 29 points or more to every team they've played that wasn't a complete joke. That includes giving up 34 points to freaking UAB. That also includes getting torn to shreds by LSU true freshman QB Brandon Harris...the same kid that Auburn dismantled last week, after he was named the starter because of what he did to MSU. If you want to look at just the raw numbers; Auburn has a better defense...period. 9th in scoring defense versus 22nd. 14th in total defense versus 84th. Better pass efficiency defense. The only metric that MSU ranks higher in is run defense, and there you're looking at barely any difference (11th versus 13th). While their run defense is very good, it is inflated because their pass defense is average and thus teams look to throw it at them which limits rush attempts.

You say that MSU has "easily" been the most impressive team in the SEC? Auburn has the highest margin of victory in the conference.

MSU is a very good team this year and this will be a hard matchup with them being at home, but give me a break with this "analysis" that you guys are throwing out. Auburn is the more talented team, they're also the more proven team and the team that has a better understanding of how to win. Malzahn is also a better coach than Mullen. What some of you don't understand is that Malzahn sandbags early in the season and uses those cup-cake games as practices essentially, which is why his teams tend to suddenly look stronger as the year goes on and the competition improves: he starts opening things up instead of running vanilla schemes. The exact same thing happened last year.

What a joke of a post.

State has a better defense? They've given up 29 points or more to every team they've played that wasn't a complete joke. That includes giving up 34 points to freaking UAB. That also includes getting torn to shreds by LSU true freshman QB Brandon Harris...the same kid that Auburn dismantled last week, after he was named the starter because of what he did to MSU. If you want to look at just the raw numbers; Auburn has a better defense...period. 9th in scoring defense versus 22nd. 14th in total defense versus 84th. Better pass efficiency defense. The only metric that MSU ranks higher in is run defense, and there you're looking at barely any difference (11th versus 13th). While their run defense is very good, it is inflated because their pass defense is average and thus teams look to throw it at them which limits rush attempts.

You say that MSU has "easily" been the most impressive team in the SEC? Auburn has the highest margin of victory in the conference.

MSU is a very good team this year and this will be a hard matchup with them being at home, but give me a break with this "analysis" that you guys are throwing out. Auburn is the more talented team, they're also the more proven team and the team that has a better understanding of how to win. Malzahn is also a better coach than Mullen. What some of you don't understand is that Malzahn sandbags early in the season and uses those cup-cake games as practices essentially, which is why his teams tend to suddenly look stronger as the year goes on and the competition improves: he starts opening things up instead of running vanilla schemes. The exact same thing happened last year.

Joke of a post? I don't know about you, but UAB is not a joke. Bill Clark is changing the culture down there and he will not be at UAB very long.

My statement that they are the most impressive team is not ridiculous, because they have been. They beat an undefeated top 10 ranked LSU team in Baton Rouge in front of 100,000 plus, in which nobody gave them a chance. Granted, LSU's youth is showing now. You mention Harris, but the fact is that State took its foot off the gas and Harris got garbage numbers and garbage touchdowns in the 4th quarter. Part of that rests on Mullen and his staff and the other part on the rest of the team. Two weeks later, A&M gets taken to the woodshed and Sumlin's spread passing attack gets slowed down by the "shaky" Mississippi State secondary. A&M posed a tougher matchup for State more than Auburn, due to Sumlin's pass first version of the spread. It was supposed to be a shootout but the score was 41-17 in the 4th quarter. A&M's offense was contained very well.

Mississippi State is playing with a chip on it's shoulder and Auburn better bring it's A game to Starkville or State will beat them too. You say that Auburn peaks at the end of the season and that was proven last year, but we are not even halfway yet. There's 33 juniors and seniors in Mississippi State's two deep. They're very experienced and this isn't a fools gold team that started 7-0 on a weak schedule in 2012. Like I said in previous posts, State had to prove to me that they are good, and I have seen enough to know that they are.

Don't worry however. If State wins, I won't come back to your post and call yours a joke, even though you took offense to another poster's opinion on a message board. :good!:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
What a joke of a post.

Auburn's signature win is against Arkansas, and it took last minute heroics to beat KSU. So to be fair, those defensive numbers are skewed. They haven't gone up against any powerhouse offenses yet.

That said, I want MSU to win this game, and I think they are the better team, but AU has some weird universal advantage with luck. They just find a way to win. It's what they do. I want and think MSU should win, but wouldn't be surprised to see AU win.

I know I really went out on a limb there. Mostly this is just going to be a really good game and we will find out more about each team after it is over.

Auburn's signature win is against Arkansas

The same Arkansas team that Texas A&M needed a 4th quarter comeback and OT to barely beat. Auburn won by 24 against that team yet you've got idiots parading around MSU's "historic" win against A&M (who barely squeaked past Arkansas) as if they just beat the 1985 Chicago Bears. MSU has beaten an overrated Texas A&M team and a bad LSU team that Auburn slapped around even harder. Why are we pretending like MSU has some sort of glorious resume again?

and it took last minute heroics to beat KSU.

What game were you watching? It was a 20-7 Auburn lead until 4 minutes left in the game at which point KState scored to cut it to 6. Last minute my ass...Auburn led for the entire duration of the game LMAO. Let me also remind you that KState is 4-1 and still ranked. They have also scored 30 or more points against every opponent not named Auburn, including two 55+ point games and three in which they scored 40+. This is a good team yet that THURSDAY NIGHT game in Kansas with a Big 12 officiating crew is being used as some sort of argument against Auburn? Kansas State wasn't charged with a single penalty in that game apart from kicking the opening kickoff out of bounds. It was pure home-cooking with the butthurt Big 12 trying to make some sort of statement against the SEC (whom you may remember poached two of their premier programs). Despite that, Auburn still won despite coming in a bit flat.

I know it's early, but I see no weaknesses on msu. I keep hearing all these analyst talking up how good auburn is and how great their defense is but the K-State game keeps popping up in my mind. K-state left 2 or 3 more tds off the board and a couple of fg misses. Those td misses were not due to anything Auburn did, but dropped passes, etc. I think miss st beats auburn by at least 17 points. I could look bad on this prediction, but from what I've seen you had better bring your a+++ game if you don't want to get ran off the field.

I am so sure of this prediction I'm posting it again. I'm channeling Nostradamus on this match up. Surely I can't be wrong again.lol

The same Arkansas team that Texas A&M needed a 4th quarter comeback and OT to barely beat. Auburn won by 24 against that team yet you've got idiots parading around MSU's "historic" win against A&M (who barely squeaked past Arkansas) as if they just beat the 1985 Chicago Bears. MSU has beaten an overrated Texas A&M team and a bad LSU team that Auburn slapped around even harder. Why are we pretending like MSU has some sort of glorious resume again?

What game were you watching? It was a 20-7 Auburn lead until 4 minutes left in the game at which point KState scored to cut it to 6. Last minute my ass...Auburn led for the entire duration of the game LMAO. Let me also remind you that KState is 4-1 and still ranked. They have also scored 30 or more points against every opponent not named Auburn, including two 55+ point games and three in which they scored 40+. This is a good team yet that THURSDAY NIGHT game in Kansas with a Big 12 officiating crew is being used as some sort of argument against Auburn? Kansas State wasn't charged with a single penalty in that game apart from kicking the opening kickoff out of bounds. It was pure home-cooking with the butthurt Big 12 trying to make some sort of statement against the SEC (whom you may remember poached two of their premier programs). Despite that, Auburn still won despite coming in a bit flat.

Yes but k state should have scored 30 vs auburn too. Missed fgs, dropped td passes in the numbers that resulted in ints, etc. Shaky logic there.

I'll take the loser of the last BCS Championship game.

VN Store

Back