CFB Playoff Predictions

GoBigOrangeVols

I thought it may be fun to keep track of predictions as to the 4 playoff positions from week to week. Obviously who's in and who's out will change weekly but let's hear who you have in (and your last couple out). I'll start:

1. Auburn
2. Ole Miss
3. FSU
4. Baylor

First two out:

5. Miss St.
6. Notre Dame

Watching Baylors offense against Ole Miss defense would be epic.

In no particular order:

Alabama
FSU
Baylor
Notre Dame

Edited

Not sure a SEC East or West team even gets invited, they are too busy beating each other up.... very possible the SEC Champ has 2-3 losses.

I guess no team in the SEC West has lost to any team outside of the SEC West or outside the conference..... 25-0 after this last week.

Very possible the best team is left out of the top 4.

There's a lot of losing yet to take place, especially if ND can pull off the upset against FSU. If no one survives undefeated, the controversy will be epic...

It will be epically ironic...

Here's my predictions:

Miss State - beats Bama, Ole Miss, wins out - undefeated SEC champ - #1 seed

FSU - beats ND, wins out - undefeated ACC champ - #2 seed

OU - beats Baylor, wins out - 1-loss Big 12 champ with tiebreaker over Baylor - #3 seed

Michigan St - wins out - 1-loss Big10 champ - #4 seed

Ole Miss/Auburn/Bama - all out of playoff
Ole Miss loses to Auburn and Miss State, finishes with 2 losses
Auburn beats Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and Georgia, still in position for playoff spot going into last week of regular season (with just 1 loss) but loses to Bama, finishes with 2 losses
Bama loses to Miss State but beats Auburn, finishes with 2 losses

ND - loses to FSU, loses at least one more to Arizona St, Louisville, or USC - 2 losses, no conference champ - out of playoff

Oregon - wins out reg season, will be in line for playoff spot going into conference championship weekend but loses to USC in Pac 12 champ - 2 losses, no conference champ - out of playoff

So this pretty much guarantees ND upsets FSU, Baylor over OU, and the entire SEC west goes different than what I have here.

Last edited:
Here's my predictions:

Miss State - beats Bama, Ole Miss, wins out - undefeated SEC champ - #1 seed

FSU - beats ND, wins out - undefeated ACC champ - #2 seed

OU - beats Baylor, wins out - 1-loss Big 12 champ with tiebreaker over Baylor - #3 seed

Michigan St - wins out - 1-loss Big10 champ - #4 seed

Ole Miss/Auburn/Bama - all out of playoff
Ole Miss loses to Auburn and Miss State, finishes with 2 losses
Auburn beats Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and Georgia, still in position for playoff spot going into last week of regular season (with just 1 loss) but loses to Bama, finishes with 2 losses
Bama loses to Miss State but beats Auburn, finishes with 2 losses

ND - loses to FSU, loses at least one more to Arizona St, Louisville, or USC - 2 losses, no conference champ - out of playoff

Oregon - wins out reg season, will be in line for playoff spot going into conference championship weekend but loses to USC in Pac 12 champ - 2 losses, no conference champ - out of playoff

No way it will come out that clean and orderly...

Probably not. So how do you think it plays out?

No way I'm guessing at this point...LOL.

Seriously, before the season began, I thought FSU would be the closest thing to a playoff-caliber team...but Winston has proven to be a distraction, at best, and they really haven't played well, even against a really weak schedule. They are benefiting from winning it all last year, at least thus far. So, if they manage to beat ND, they will have one of the 4 spots. The rest, IMO, will be where the arguments begin as everyone will have at least one loss.

You better have a great team to run some of the gauntlets the SEC schedules throw in front of their teams, and I don't think there is a great SEC team this year, so you're looking at almost every team having at least 1 loss and probably more...and I would expect there's plenty of folks in college football that are itching for a reason to shut the SEC out of the fun. This year, the SEC is going to give them that reason, I'm afraid.

I know I haven't answered your question, but I simply haven't seen anyone, much less 3 others if FSU runs the table, that has a slam dunk path to the playoffs. We're going to have to let some more time pass, IMO...

The loser of Notre Dame and FSU is out. I will go with the following:

Miss State
FSU
Oklahoma
Oregon

Michigan state is left out because they lost the head to head to Oregon. Oklahoma gets the nod over Michigan State because the big 10 blows.

Thank god that Notre Dame just so happened to schedule FSU this season. Good teams are always taking each other out before the post season.. so rarely does the garbage take itself out.

I couldnt care less who wins that game. I hate them both equally.. the only way it could be better is that is they both lost somehow.

New predictions??

1. Miss St
2. FSU
3. Ole Miss
4. Notre Dame

5. TCU
6. Alabama
7. Oregon
8. Mich State
9. Auburn
10. Kansas state
11. Georgia
12. Baylor

It's going to be a wild rest of the season

Alabama (only if they win the SEC)
FSU
Notre Dame
MSU/Oregon

I think we could see a playoff without a SEC team.

I think it is too early to predict.

I think when polls cone out today the top 5 will be

Miss St
FSU
Ole Miss
Alabama
Auburn

There is a lot of ball to be played.

SEC West with 3 out of 4 of the first week's panel rankings

Mississippi State, Florida State, Auburn and Mississippi are the top four teams in the first College Football Playoff rankings.

Based on what I think they do the rest of the way,

Oregon
Florida State
Miss State
TCU

Auburn ends with 3 losses, Bama 2. Miss State loses 1, but beats OM.

VN Store

Back