Charlie Weis fired

Grand Vol

Official VN Armorer
Lab Rat
First Power 5 coach to get canned this year:

Kansas Jayhawks fire Charlie Weis for lack of on-field progress - ESPN

After he won only one Big 12 game during his tenure at Kansas, the Jayhawks have fired head coach Charlie Weis.

Defensive coordinator Clint Bowen will take over as interim head coach, athletic director Sheahon Zenger said.

"I normally do not favor changing coaches mid-season," Zenger said in a statement. "But I believe we have talented coaches and players in this program, and I think this decision gives our players the best chance to begin making progress right away."

Probably not the last coach to go this year.

Reactions: 3 people
Not before his buyout from Kansas ends :)

Depends on where he goes. I'm not sure if an NFL team has to pay the buyout if he gets picked up there (where he should).

And like those teams worry about a buyout.

Wonder what the buyout is from KU?

ND paid him 19 million so far.

According to USA Today, he made $2.5 million a year. And with 2 years and change left on his contract, he's going to get at least $5 plus the salary of the 8 games remaining.

Charlie Weis' contract with Kansas Jayhawks guarantees $2.5M a year - ESPN

The former Notre Dame coach agreed to take over the Jayhawks last week following the firing of Turner Gill, who was 5-19 in two seasons. Like Gill, who will be paid the nearly $6 million left on his contract, Weis will be paid in full if he is fired before the five-year term is complete.

VN Store

Back