Ohio St. Strength Coach Lays Out Fan..Lawsuit?

BigOrangeVols

Not an Insider
BymDMDxIgAA3JDc.jpg

Sure most everyone saw this and laughed..but could there be a lawsuit from this? Doesn't seem like the coach has the authority to deck a guy for running on the field. Might be wrong, but curious to others opinions or what someone else may know.

I feel like the coach could argue that the person running on the field presented a potential danger. I highly doubt he had malicious intent, but what if the guy had a knife or something to stab someone on the field with. I'm all for these people getting taken ASAP by reasonable means.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd be surprised if he gets anything out of it. Got what he had coming anyway for being a idiot

Reactions: 6 people
A potential shoulder injury makes me wonder more. And I do agree with you two, you get what you get for running on a field, all bets are somewhat off. But I'm not sure that coach has the authority to do that, figured there's some sort of license or contract being a security guard, police officer, whatever on the field.

A potential shoulder injury makes me wonder more. And I do agree with you two, you get what you get for running on a field, all bets are somewhat off. But I'm not sure that coach has the authority to do that, figured there's some sort of license or contract being a security guard, police officer, whatever on the field.

Yeah and you could be right, I guess I hope he can't get anything out of it honestly. If someone does you might start seeing people run on the field so they can get tackled claim an injury and file a lawsuit.

If you go out on the field, you should get hit by one of those big linebackers. If I was a big time athlete, I definitely would hit them as hard as I can.

Reactions: 2 people
The coach did the right thing. He didn't "authority" to stop someone from running on the field. With all the crazies out there you can't be too careful. Just reference the murder of Dimebag Darrell while he was playing guitar on stage.

that's a judo/jiujitsu move. He's got the shirt in one hand, basically a head/neck lock, and the leg sweep to put the enemy down on their back in a split second.

He could file a suit for assault and battery and maybe a couple other torts - but absent any actual injury (damage) he would not be able to ultimately win anything more than a nominal amount.

Still a very dumb decision by the osu coach to get involved and put himself at risk, for instance, had he broke the kids neck or paralysed him, he and the university could be be found liable monetarily for a huge judgment.

Always better to let the actual authorities (police) handle law breakers.

He could file a suit for assault and battery and maybe a couple other torts - but absent any actual injury (damage) he would not be able to ultimately win anything more than a nominal amount.

Still a very dumb decision by the osu coach to get involved and put himself at risk, for instance, had he broke the kids neck or paralysed him, he and the university could be be found liable monetarily for a huge judgment.

You don't know what the dude was going to do though. He may have had a gun or a knife and attacked opposing players and coaches. The dude had no business being on the field and he deserved every bit of what he got. Are you saying a security guard could be sued as well? It's not like they're cops and anyone can hire security. Why do you believe security guards should be allowed to prevent a potential threat like the coach did but the coach is held liable? I could go out and hire a security guard tomorrow to protect me. So... he can tackle a potential threat to me and I can't? Or...

I have no pity for fools who run on the field like that. If you come onto the field and get injured while being removed, that's your own damn fault. Hopefully, the OSU coach won't face any legal repercussions.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think we'll see anything come out of it, but would be interesting if there is some sort of lawsuit though.

It's so bad in the world now that someone runs on the field illegally and gets dealt with appropriately, and someone had the balls to ask if HE could file a lawsuit.

He got what he deserved. Zero chance he can win any lawsuit.

So your a lawyer?

Why on earth > should < emphasis on should, he win one damn dime? He could have had a knife or gun and attacked anyone on the field. There are so many deadly "what if" scenarios that could heve unfolded before "authorized" force got there it's comical to imagine him getting a damage award of any kind. I wish judges could make a bench ruling against crap suits like that and make the plaintiff pay court costs and the lawyer who files pay contempt of court fines.

BymDMDxIgAA3JDc.jpg

Sure most everyone saw this and laughed..but could there be a lawsuit from this? Doesn't seem like the coach has the authority to deck a guy for running on the field. Might be wrong, but curious to others opinions or what someone else may know.

I have worked security on the field many many times and anyone running onto the field is to be treated as a potential danger to players and coaches and even refs...In other words, You run onto the field it is open season and you are to be removed by any means necessary...Usually we would take the person down and hold them until the police took him away...People are really stupid sometimes.

It's so bad in the world now that someone runs on the field illegally and gets dealt with appropriately, and someone had the balls to ask if HE could file a lawsuit.

Totally agree except for your last sentence. This is America. Every lawsuit has a chance.

Reactions: 1 person
that's a judo/jiujitsu move. He's got the shirt in one hand, basically a head/neck lock, and the leg sweep to put the enemy down on their back in a split second.

Wrong. Ohio state brought the weak sauce. No fatality? No finishing move?

Weak. Sauce.

I agree with you you jackass. I was just posing a question that was posed to me.

VN Store

Back