Poor coaching calls have ripple effect...

roddo518

Coach
During the Clemson FSU game, big game coach dabo Sweeney, made the call to stay in shotgun with a 2nd and goal from six inch line. Before the snap happened, I was yelling at the tv saying qb sneak or FB lead. Of course the ensuing snap went 20 yards over the qbs head with the kicker missing the fg. The kicker had already had some bad kicks earlier in the game. So fast forward to overtime, now the coach has no faith in kicker. He goes for it again and is in the shotgun again with single back for about a yard 4th and 1. I at least think you should have had a lead blocker in that situation via motion or FB. Clemson loses in Ot. The sneak earlier had an 89% success rate(on second down, 3rd down, with option of 4th down). Now let's look at what Clemson is left with. The kickers confidence is shot and the center is getting death threats. Poor coaching moves bites in more than the play call itself. I know some will argue that's what Clemson does on offense. Stay with what you do. But great coaches almost always play percentages. Smh at some of the calls I see every weekend by highly paid college coaches.

I didn't get that one, either. I understand that Clemson operates primarily from the gun, but surely they have practiced with the QB under center at least once or twice.

Same goes for Mississippi State up two scores with about two minutes left. The get the onside kick, and they stick to their shotgun with a backup center. He promptly snaps it over Prescott's head and LSU recovers. That is the worst thing to happen. Even if you can't run out the clock, just snap it under center and run 3 runs and punt. LSU would have to go the length of the field twice to win under a minute.

That game was clemson being clemson...no need to carry on for days about this.

VN Store

Back