Indiana vs #18 Missouri (4:00 PM, SEC Network)

TrueOrange

I think there may actually be potential here for this to end up an interesting game.

(Sorry about the length. I'm in the same state as one of these schools and my sister goes to the other, so I'm a bit familiar with both.)

Yes, I'm aware Indiana lost to Bowling Green 45-42 last week. Just like last year, Indiana's defense is horrendous. They struggled - and will continue to struggle - to stop almost every team from scoring.

However, it appears their offense from last year might have carried over as well. Last year, they put up points in bunches, on a lot of teams (last year they were 17th in the country in points per game; 10th in offensive yards/game - 18th in passing and 30th in rushing). They could put up points, they just couldn't stop them.

(See their 2013 scores)

At the moment, they're 4th in the FBS in rushing yards per game; 9th in total offense. (The passing numbers might be weighed down; he only threw 118 yards the first game, followed by 350 - with 2 rushing TDs - the second.)
----

One thing about Missouri in some of their games...they seem to have gotten off to some slow starts (usually pulling away in the 2nd half). Their defense has done pretty well holding the other offenses they've so far played in check early, but their offense also struggled early in those games.

Their secondary hasn't done poorly, but the teams they've played have found success, passing for over 200 yards in all those games (and a 60-70% completion rate in two of them). If Indiana's running game does live up to statistics, it's going to take pressure off IU's QB.

That said, Missouri still seems pretty good at forcing turnovers - they're apparently in the middle of a 47 game streak of forcing at least one, so far on the year having 9 (5 INTs, 4 fumbles) - and defensive pressure, having 12 sacks on the season so far.

--

I'm not saying Indiana's going to win (in fact, being familiar with how poorly they tend to do, count against it).

However, if Missouri takes a while to get its offense going again, and IU is able to do its usual, Missouri could end up in a position where, they do get in rhythm, but they're already having to play keep up / working to make up a gap...might be interesting to see how that would play out.

That aside, this is likely going to be one of those games where there's a lot of offense by two teams and each one's still scoring late into the game, for a score closer than it probably should be. (Not going to get into any sort of possible, "could be looking ahead to South Carolina" though)

Mizzou is going to roll them.

Probably, more than likely how it plays out; I think it could end up one of those games where it's like 51-30, game was never in question but a lot of points scored on both sides.

Last edited:
Mizzou isn't as good as last year. But they're still better than a lot of good teams

Indiana about to score a TD. Missouri's offense has more or less gone 3 and out on 2 straight drives

So much for Mizzou rolling.

I told you. The one thing Indiana can do under this coach is score at (near) will.

Their big issue though is, especially late in games, that the defense couldn't stop an offense even if there were only 3 players on it.

That's definitely an SC top ten play on that one handed catch for a TD in the back of the end zone if they don't call it out of bounds

Haven't been watching but Dreads didn't look bad on that last drive. Terrible clock management by Indiana. Could have had 2 plays

Mizzou should be embarrassed. They're getting outplayed at home by a team that lost to Bowling Green, who in turn lost 68-17 to Wisconsin today.

Based solely on today, Mizzou is staring at 6-6.

Good call OP.

I've seen both play a lot.

I mean, save 2 duds against OSU and Wisconsin last year, IU pretty much put up around a minimum of like near points a game...a lot of them much higher; the average was in the upper 40s with the two games above included

That michigan state defense last season? Indiana was tied with Nebraska for the most points scored on it that season (28).

VN Store

Back