Interesting Clay Travis read

bigsteve13

THE BOSS
Saw this on out kick the coverage today and thought it was worth a post. Very interesting points made with the similarities between UT and Michigan and i have to agree with him. Also his statement about Vandy is priceless.

2. Brady Hoke looks helpless as Michigan coach.

"Is it too early to start asking who the Wolverines want as their next coach? I've always thought Michigan and Tennessee were mirror images of one another, two top ten all-time winning programs with massive stadiums and strong fan support. Both have fallen on hard times after replacing iconic national title winning coaches, Lloyd Carr at Michigan and Phil Fulmer at Tennessee.
Rich Rodriguez and Derek Dooley were almost twins, posting near identical records of 15-22 for Rich Rod and 15-21 for Dooley. But now Tennessee looks like its on great footing with Butch Jones. And while Hoke looked excellent in 2011, every year since then has gotten worse.
So who's next for Michigan? Would Les Miles finally leave LSU?"

4. Vanderbilt might have the worst offense in the state of Tennessee, high school teams included.

"I apologize to everyone who I told to take Vandy +20 against Ole Miss. I simply didn't believe that Mason's team could be this bad. I was wrong. They are awful beyond belief.
If you've ever questioned the value of a head coach and his staff, Vandy went from a top ten coach and staff in college football to a bottom ten coach and staff in college football. The result is stark.
Vandy's in a tough spot here because Franklin erased the argument that no one could win at Vanderbilt. Whereas in past years Commodore fans might have been willing to accept awful on-field results, Franklin elevated expectations and eliminated excuses. Then Mason arrived on campus and talked about winning the SEC East. He even said that Vandy had equal or better defensive talent than Stanford.
Uh...
Meanwhile, check out Penn State. There's a good chance the Nittany Lions are 5-0 when they travel to Michigan and I like their odds of knocking off Ohio State in Happy Valley."

Starting 11: The Big Ten Dies Edition | FOX Sports

Last edited:
I'll get killed for saying it, but I love most of his stuff. I skip over the politics stuff, so I am just talking about the football/SEC stuff. I thought his articles breaking down the impact of SEC expansion and creation of the SEC Network to be particularly well done.

He likes to stir the pot some, but I like that... up to a point, anyway.

Reactions: 14 people
Saw this on out kick the coverage today and thought it was worth a post. Very interesting points made with the similarities between UT and Michigan and i have to agree with him. Also his statement about Vandy is priceless.

2. Brady Hoke looks helpless as Michigan coach.

"Is it too early to start asking who the Wolverines want as their next coach? I've always thought Michigan and Tennessee were mirror images of one another, two top ten all-time winning programs with massive stadiums and strong fan support. Both have fallen on hard times after replacing iconic national title winning coaches, Lloyd Carr at Michigan and Phil Fulmer at Tennessee.
Rich Rodriguez and Derek Dooley were almost twins, posting near identical records of 15-22 for Rich Rod and 15-21 for Dooley. But now Tennessee looks like its on great footing with Butch Jones. And while Hoke looked excellent in 2011, every year since then has gotten worse.
So who's next for Michigan? Would Les Miles finally leave LSU?"

4. Vanderbilt might have the worst offense in the state of Tennessee, high school teams included.

"I apologize to everyone who I told to take Vandy +20 against Ole Miss. I simply didn't believe that Mason's team could be this bad. I was wrong. They are awful beyond belief.
If you've ever questioned the value of a head coach and his staff, Vandy went from a top ten coach and staff in college football to a bottom ten coach and staff in college football. The result is stark.
Vandy's in a tough spot here because Franklin erased the argument that no one could win at Vanderbilt. Whereas in past years Commodore fans might have been willing to accept awful on-field results, Franklin elevated expectations and eliminated excuses. Then Mason arrived on campus and talked about winning the SEC East. He even said that Vandy had equal or better defensive talent than Stanford.
Uh...
Meanwhile, check out Penn State. There's a good chance the Nittany Lions are 5-0 when they travel to Michigan and I like their odds of knocking off Ohio State in Happy Valley."

Starting 11: The Big Ten Dies Edition | FOX Sports

Clay Travis still has his nose up Franklin's rear end. Singing along with the crowd in Nashville. Some things never change.

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't read it, just guessing, but I doubt there's anything insightful in his article. Clay just listens to a lot of national radio pundits and regurgitates it.

I actually met the Clay Travis at a book signing in Knoxville at the Books A Million store on Kingston Pike, I used to work there. He does say a lot of antagonizing things in his articles, but he's actually a decent human being in person.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Clay Travis still has his nose up Franklin's rear end. Singing along with the crowd in Nashville. Some things never change.

Call it what you want. I'll call it correct. Franklin is a top tier coach. He elevated Vandy like no other coach before him ever has. As soon as he left, Vandy went immediately back to where they've always been.

When he started taking about how bad Michigan looked I thought he was going to speculate that Butch might be considered as a replacement for Brady hoke. I think it's a little early at this point but if Butch sees some of his recruiting successes translate to wins...He name will begin to be thrown around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I hate to break it to you Clay, .......honey. But your boyfriend ain't coming back. He done left you for another. At PSU he can find himself a young thang. And he can put 5 of those Anchor Down crowds in his new stadium.

It's ok Clay. Everything gonna work itself out.

Reactions: 4 people
Call it what you want. I'll call it correct. Franklin is a top tier coach. He elevated Vandy like no other coaches before him ever has. As soon as he left, Vandy went immediately back to where they've always been.

When he started taking about how bad Michigan looked o thought he was going to speculate that Butch my be considered as a replacement for Brady hoke. I think it's a little early at this point but if Butch sees some of his recruiting successes translate to wins...He name will begin to be thrown around.

Sorry.. TN is better job and the Chinese don't like football

Call it what you want. I'll call it correct. Franklin is a top tier coach. He elevated Vandy like no other coach before him ever has. As soon as he left, Vandy went immediately back to where they've always been.

When he started taking about how bad Michigan looked I thought he was going to speculate that Butch might be considered as a replacement for Brady hoke. I think it's a little early at this point but if Butch sees some of his recruiting successes translate to wins...He name will begin to be thrown around.

Tennessee will have to increase what CBJ gets paid or there's a chance that he might be interested in the Michigan job which may be open after the 2015 season.

Ok, Michigan will fire Brady Hoke. Now volnation can return to sensible discussion

No we can't, because now half this board will flip out thinking that Butch Jones will leave for University of Michigan just because he coached at Central Michigan University.

Tennessee will have to increase what CBJ gets paid or there's a chance that he might be interested in the Michigan job which may be open after the 2015 season.

Too late. It's starting.

Reactions: 3 people
No we can't, because now half this board will flip out thinking that Butch Jones will leave for University of Michigan just because he coached at Central Michigan University.

Too late. It's starting.

It doesn't hurt to nervous about realistic possibilities.

Clay Travis is a solid writer. His comparisons of Michigan and UT/ Rich Rod and Dooley are spot on. Yes, he's a big Franklin fan. That's ok. What's not ok is thinking Butch will go to Michigan. That's ridiculous.

It doesn't hurt to nervous about realistic possibilities.

It's not that realistic. If he went to school at, played at, coached at, or was an assistant coach or grad assistant at the University of Michigan, it'd be a different story.

He didn't. He was just at another university - with no ties to UM - in the same state.

This would kind of be be like the University of Memphis worrying about losing a coach because he's coaching in the same state as the University of Tennessee.

Too late. It's starting.

Pandora's box has been opened. Here comes the most insecure segment of the Tennessee fan base to fret over an unlikely scenario.

Reactions: 3 people

I think the Michigan job will be open during the 2014 season, not after the 2015 season, and Butch ain't going anywhere.

Butch has spent the last 24 months putting out this dumpster fire. Why would he leave Tennessee for Michigan? Completely moronic that people think that's a possibility.

VN Store

Back