Franklin got out just in time...

CroKev

The Oldest Sport
Everyone thinks Franklin was a genius while coaching Vandy. Granted he did a great job there but you have to admit, he was very fortunate in his timing. He will always be remembered in the future for the brief run that Vandy had but, fortunately for him, that happened when the SEC East was down. UT was at its worst in history, UF and UGA were beaten up with injuries (can you say, "Georgia Southern"?) and Vandy had the easiest schedule (esp. when home games are factored in) in the conference.

Franklin told everyone he was staying, but after UT hired CBJ and all the in-state recruits were going to the "state school," the writing was on the wall. Franklin got hired by PSU but I think he would have gone anywhere due to what was ahead.

Is he a better coach than Mason? I don't know. But I don't know if he would have done any better this year than Mason with what he had to work with, and that's with Vandy still having the easiest schedule in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
He did get a lot more out of that team than Robbie Caldwell was able to accomplish the year before but I do agree that the stars really lined up for him at Vandy and if he'd stayed his stock would've plummeted. Obviously he didn't see Vandy as a career destination and he got out at the right time although it appeared that he was looking around after 2012.

He is a heck of a lot better coach than Mason. I have no doubt about that in my mind. He is a master motivator, that is why he is such a good recruiter. Look at State Penn' s class this year with just a few weeks of talking to kids. Give him a couple of years and no sanctions and Urbz has his hands full. Franklin would have won the game against Temple. Much as I hated the guy and still do, give credit where credit is due, he is a heck of a coach.

Reactions: 7 people
Let's move on and rejoice that Vandy is back to being Vandy as evidenced by the home loss to Temple.

I hate him but can't deny he did MORE WITH LESS than any coach in the league the last few years. Last years victory over UT a prime example. No way we should have lost that game.

Reactions: 1 person
Screw Vandy and Franklin. Derek (Dooley) Mason is probably wishing he was still DC at Stanford

I hate him but can't deny he did MORE WITH LESS than any coach in the league the last few years. Last years victory over UT a prime example. No way we should have lost that game.

He had Zac Stacy part of the time and Jordan Matthews. Two outstanding professional athletes. He won with depth that Bobby Johnson created for the most part....

He had Zac Stacy part of the time and Jordan Matthews. Two outstanding professional athletes. He won with depth that Bobby Johnson created for the most part....

He recruited pretty much on par with Dooley the 3 years they were in their respective positions. If not for Butch and the '14 legacy class the talent level would be fairly close right now. But I expect Butch to quickly widen the talent gap again.

I think he would have left for Penn State even if he had all Tennessee recruiting locked down . He is a very good coach and i'm not going to take that away from him.

These things are true:

It was a perfect storm for him.....

Bobby Johnson GREATLY upgraded their talent level by just simply having enough depth to stay in games in the SEC.

The entire SEC east was not only down, just flat out suck ass pitiful. He had the luxury of playing the worst UT teams by far in over 100+ years of history. UGA was so depleted from injuries they almost didn't have a team left. UF was horrid and what ever was left of their season, they had completely quit playing.

Is Franklin and good coach and motivator? Maybe. Likely. But, MOST of all he is one of the LUCKIEST SOBs I've ever remembered in terms of timing and it all falling into place.

Keep in mind that he somehow evaded playing the big ones from the SEC west......

Vandy beat Florida, Georgia and Tennessee in the same season.

First game without him, they get skull drug by Temple.

Sustained success at Vandy is impossible. However, down or not, Vandy won games they had no business winning.

IMO, the "we were down" stuff is a bunch of garbage. Never, at any point in time, would I want to trade rosters with Vandy.

All teams that "were down" had better talent than Vandy and were out coached.

Period. End of story. Next case.

Reactions: 6 people
Vandy beat Florida, Georgia and Tennessee in the same season.

First game without him, they get skull drug by Temple.

Sustained success at Vandy is impossible. However, down or not, Vandy won games they had no business winning.

IMO, the "we were down" stuff is a bunch of garbage. Never, at any point in time, would I want to trade rosters with Vandy.

All teams that "were down" had better talent than Vandy and were out coached.

Period. End of story. Next case.

Not so sure.....

Life is about timing...
James Franklin was not the 1st nor will be the last to ride in and win with another staff's body of players and then get the hell out of Dodge before his own full set of recruits came home to roost.

this is not as much Franklin running away but more the stupidity of the Vandy AD and the Vandy administration that keeps the AD

He did get a lot more out of that team than Robbie Caldwell was able to accomplish the year before but I do agree that the stars really lined up for him at Vandy and if he'd stayed his stock would've plummeted. Obviously he didn't see Vandy as a career destination and he got out at the right time although it appeared that he was looking around after 2012.

No one sees Vandy as a career destination.....

Hate the man all you want but he is a hell of a coach. He beat teams that had far more talent then his. Jesus Vandy won 9 games with this guy. He is already kicking tail on the recruiting trail at penn state. I wouldn't be shocked if he won a national title.

I'm no Franklin fan and yes he benefitted from several down teams and weak schedules. But he probably doesn't lose that game last week and in no way do I believe he loses by 30.

VN Store

Back