Last time Bama played

Vols4life

Chalupa Batman
Talking to coworkers and we couldn't remember the last time Bama played a true non conference road game against a team...does anyone know? I can only think of UCLA and Oklahoma in the late 90s/early 2000s

I give BAMA a lot more credit than I do Florida. Bama at least has played some decent out of conference game (UM, WVU). Florida probably hasn't played an out of conference game outside the state of Florida in 25 years. But....they're both a little chicken ****, when it comes to leaving the friendly confines of the south.

Reactions: 2 people
I give BAMA a lot more credit than I do Florida. Bama at least has played some decent out of conference game (UM, WVU). Florida probably hasn't played an out of conference game outside the state of Florida in 25 years. But....they're both a little chicken ****, when it comes to leaving the friendly confines of the south.

You're right. The last time Florida played an out of conference game outside the state of Florida was Syracuse in 1991.

You're right. The last time Florida played an out of conference game outside the state of Florida was Syracuse in 1991.

This is amazing, but usually Florida St is pretty good, so I can understand why they don't schedule a 2nd tough game. Same with South Carolina, Clemson is enough in one year.

This is amazing, but usually Florida St is pretty good, so I can understand why they don't schedule a 2nd tough game. Same with South Carolina, Clemson is enough in one year.

I understand that but both FSU and Miami have been to South Bend, FSU just went and played a neutral site game. It's pretty ridiculous how Florida won't play anyone

I understand that but both FSU and Miami have been to South Bend, FSU just went and played a neutral site game. It's pretty ridiculous how Florida won't play anyone

In fairness to Florida, they will be playing Michigan in Dallas in 2017.

But it's not a fair comparison between them and FSU and Miami. FSU and Miami don't have to play an SEC schedule on top of their OOC matchups.

In fairness to Florida, they will be playing Michigan in Dallas in 2017.

But it's not a fair comparison between them and FSU and Miami. FSU and Miami don't have to play an SEC schedule on top of their OOC matchups.

That's true but its still ridiculous. It would be interesting to see them go.somewhere like Ohio St, Nebraska, Oklahoma etc...get out of Florida. Hell they don't even leave the state for bowl games

Well, technically it's been five years since Tennessee left the state for a bowl game.

And VN wonders why I want trolls like you off this site. Are there no Alabama fans with enough brain cells to create a message board for you and your fellow dolts to wallow in? Why do you have to infect our great board?

That's true but its still ridiculous. It would be interesting to see them go.somewhere like Ohio St, Nebraska, Oklahoma etc...get out of Florida. Hell they don't even leave the state for bowl games

It's not the quality of your OOC opponents that matter, it's the LOCATION of your OOC opponents. Brilliant. :lolabove:

Imagine this...for as long as you've been alive, UT finishes the regular season against in-state rival Vandy, who plays in the ACC instead of the SEC.

Vandy had a 14 year run of Top 5 finishes, a handful of national titles, including the most recent, and unanimous pre-season #1 the following season...and some UF or Bama fan took shots at UT's OOC schedule because they never left the state of Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I can't imagine anyone knocking UF's OOC schedule because we don't "travel". :blink:

Luckily you don't have to imagine!

Wonder if many vol fans will claim we have an easy ooc slate next year because we get OU at home.. Haha.

Florida's schedule this year is plenty tough. Honestly, I think having FSU at the back end of the schedule messes with perception, because some of these other schedule-boosting games are so early and get the press.

Last edited:
It's not the quality of your OOC opponents that matter, it's the LOCATION of your OOC opponents. Brilliant. :lolabove:

Imagine this...for as long as you've been alive, UT finishes the regular season against in-state rival Vandy, who plays in the ACC instead of the SEC.

Vandy had a 14 year run of Top 5 finishes, a handful of national titles, including the most recent, and unanimous pre-season #1 the following season...and some UF or Bama fan took shots at UT's OOC schedule because they never left the state of Tennessee.

This complaint seems to be made, most often, by those who cheer for a school that doesn't have an in-state rivalry or at least a real one.

There is no school, anywhere in the country (other than Texas-Texas A&M if they play again), that has an OOC in state rival anywhere on a level like Florida does. And Florida has two of them.

Since 1980, Florida State is #2 nationally in wins and Miami is #3.

I would contend that it's a hell of a lot easier to play a random out of conference opponent once in a blue moon (not the same opponent yearly) where not much is on the line and the two schools don't really care too much about one another compared to an all out war between two teams that can't stand one another.

There isn't an in-state series that really compares in level of competition, but you also... Get to be in Florida and reap those benefits. Not the worst deal ever.

There isn't an in-state series that really compares in level of competition, but you also... Get to be in Florida and reap those benefits. Not the worst deal ever.

If all of UF's schedule critics had their way, we would continue playing FSU, add Miami back on the schedule every year, rotate home-and-home games with Ohio State and Oregon, and throw in Georgia Southern as our OOC schedule.

No doubt.

I just have to admit this is one thing that sends me over the edge.

As Lawrence wrote, it's not the quality of the opponent, it's the location.

As if, by the way, because it's in the state of Florida, going to Tallahassee is easy. Take your team to Tallahassee and see how much fun it is.

The other thing people can't seem to let go of is the temperature thing. As if, every other school in college football has annual "ice bowl" on the schedule where they played in -20 degree temperatures.

VN Store

Back