Wisconsin got an upgrade in losing Bielema

DD4ME

Zoo Keeper
Andersen is the better coach IMO. He's the main reason USU is being hyped up now even though he's now 2 years removed.

He and Wisconsin are giving LSU and Miles all they can handle.

I'm partial to defensive minded coaches and when we were looking I had hoped we'd look at him. Don't get me wrong glad we ended up with Butch especially for recruiting and technology, marketing, branding etc.

Wisconsin is shocking me at the moment. I honestly expected LSU to win without much of a fight. Wisconsin has some real speed.

Gary Andersen is one of the best. He turned around Utah State, who was worse than Temple.

Bret is just sucking at arky. He is a good coach, obviously not doing well so far though. I like wisc though, they are hitting lsu in the mouth.

I'll take 55-34 over 39-35 all day.

I think Andersen is one of the true victims of the teams he took over. USU had 2wins in 07 and 3 wins in 08 before he took over. By the time he left he was at 11 wins and just view the scores of the close games they had. Time will tell but I believe you'll be agreeing with me in a couple years.

Bret is just sucking at arky. He is a good coach, obviously not doing well so far though. I like wisc though, they are hitting lsu in the mouth.

Bret is an ok coach a good coach would have done more than he did at Wisconsin. IMO. Arkansas having similar limitations as places like Miss St, Ole MISS etc needs a great coach not a good coach. I believe they'd have done better getting a guy like Andersen who did a lot more with less.

Reactions: Weezer
Bret is an ok coach a good coach would have done more than he did at Wisconsin. IMO. Arkansas having similar limitations as places like Miss St, Ole MISS etc needs a great coach not a good coach. I believe they'd have done better getting a guy like Andersen who did a lot more with less.

Calling Bert a good coach is a stretch.

I'll take 55-34 over 39-35 all day.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Andersen had to build his program before he could start winning. Bielema inherited a program that was already a power house.

Utah State
Dave Arslanian
1998 3-7
1999 4-8
Mick Dennehy
2000 5–6
Moved to FBS
2001 4–7
2002 4–7
2003 3–9
2004 3–8
Brent Guy
2005 3–8
2006 1–11
2007 2–10
2008 3–9
Gary Andersen
2009 4–8
2010 4–8
2011 7–6 L Potato
2012 11–2 W Potato #17 #16

Utah State's last winning season prior to Gary Andersen was in 1997 when they finished 6-5 and were still in the FCS. That's the situation Gary Andersen walked into. As for Bielema...

Wisconsin
Jim Hilles
1986 3–9
Morton
1987 3–8
1988 1–10
1989 2–9
Alvarez
1990 1–10
1991 5–6
1992 5–6
1993 10–1–1 W Rose #5 #6
1994 7–4–1 W Hall of Fame
1995 4–5–2
1996 8–5 W Copper
1997 8–5 L Outback
1998 11–1 W Rose #5 #6
1999 10–2 W Rose #4 #4
2000 9–4 W Sun #24 #23
2001 5–7
2002 8–6 W Alamo
2003 7–6 L Music City
2004 9–3 L Outback #18 #17
2005 10–3 W Capital One #15 #15

Wisconsin hadn't finished ranked since 1962 until Barry Alvarez took over.

Bielema walked into a stable program that was transformed from dog crap into a powerhouse over the course of 16 years thanks to Barry Alvarez. Gary Andersen walked into a program that couldn't even win when they were in the FCS. Records don't always speaks for themselves. Wisconsin is a legit program in a major conference while Utah St. wasn't even a legit program in the FCS. I think Bielema is a good coach but look at the difference of him walking into Wisconsin who was coming off a 10 win season as opposed to coming into Arkansas after 4 win season and being rocked with a scandal.

After seeing Bielema at Arkansas, I'd say Andersen is more impressive despite their records as coaches. Winning 7 games and 11 games in 4 seasons at a school that hadn't finished above .500 since 1997(6-5) and hadn't won 7 games since 1993(7-5) is impressive. He took them to two bowl games in four years. They had only been in two bowl games since 1961 prior to that. Unsurprisingly, those two bowl games were in 1993 and 1997. In other words, Utah State was a giant p.o.s. and Wisconsin was a powerhouse.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that a coach taking over an established program has a better record than a coach who took over a program that's a pile of rubble. In that scenario, you can't simply say Bielema is better than Andersen based on record. Comparing Andersen at Wisconsin and Bielema at Arkansas is a better indicator. Both programs are in bcs conferences and both have had sustained success over the years. So far, Andersen has been better now that they're closer to being on equal footing.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Time will tell but I think Andersen is a coach a lot of people overlook. The only real question is can he recruit with the big guys? It's obvious to me he knows What to do with them.

Reactions: Weezer
We are talking about the guy who gave Gordon like 2 carries in the second half, right? Either Andersen or the OC is an idiot.

TOP, I posted Butch's and Andeson's records. Meaning I'd take Butch over Anderson.

We are talking about the guy who gave Gordon like 2 carries in the second half, right? Either Andersen or the OC is an idiot.

Not completely true given the whole context, LSU exposed the conservative nature of the offense. Chavis has seen this many times because its eerily similar to what LSU has done in the past at times.

He actually ran the ball 4 times, but you also have to remember Wisconsin only had 28 plays in the 2nd half, 5 of those were either punts or INTS. It was obvious the kid was out of gas at the end of the long run in the beginning of the 2nd half. 5 of the plays were inside the 20 after his long run while he was on the sidelines getting a breather.

I am not sure it mattered at that point whether it was Gordon or Clement, LSU was sticking with man to man and loading the box. Once LSU figured out their QB was not a threat, it was just if there was enough time for LSU's O.

After the big run to start the second half of 63 yards Gordon ran the following:

- No gain on 1st, lead to a punt on 3rd down
- 3 yards on 1st, but a penalty on 2nd, eventually INT on second down and 12.
- Loss of 2 yards, lead to a punt on 3rd down

I would say he or Gruley are best backs in the country but as it is shown over and over, eventually you need a QB that can deliver a few strikes down the field. Wisconsin's 268 yards of rushing was reduced to what it really is without the ability to throw here and there... stats.

The Chief recognized what the Badgers were about as he had seen LSU do this exact thing over and over. Unfortunately, I don't think the Badgers had a plan B. There OL and Gordon are real good though... you can't say they are bad at running the ball.

Personally Im sick of all the hype,/lovefest with Wisconsin over the last several years. They are and have been a good team but they ain't world beaters. And Mr know it all Beliema or however its spelled is average at best. 4 years and out at Arky. Dumb hire from day one

I think Bielema made a mistake leaving Wisconsin. His system can work in the SEC, and I like the power run philosophy, but you must be better physically to beat people that way, see Bama. Bielema has never been a great recruiter, but he seems to be good at player development. You can be successful in the Big 10 doing this, but in the SEC you must recruit. I just don't see him becoming the elite recruiter he needs to be to survive in the SEC.

VN Store

Back