Alabama

jimallvol

VolHawk
Watching them play today they don't look very settled at QB this yr. For the first time in a long time they look beatable. What does everyone else think?

Against a good defense they will struggle. They didn't pass it very well and wvu couldn't stop the run. Better teams will eat them up imo.

Reactions: 1 person
Unless our D-Line improves, they're going to have success running the ball against us. BUT...their secondary is the weak link, and our receivers are our strong point. If our receivers and QB have a good day that day, we might could hold our own.

Alabama is going to have success running the ball against just about anyone. Their RBs are just that good. Their passing game is a different story. Also their secondary looks a little suspect right now.

Unless our D-Line improves, they're going to have success running the ball against us. BUT...their secondary is the weak link, and our receivers are our strong point. If our receivers and QB have a good day that day, we might could hold our own.

I was under the impression we haven't played yet....so how much do we need to improve? I don't even have a clue wheather we are world beaters or just a goat.

I was under the impression we haven't played yet....so how much do we need to improve? I don't even have a clue wheather we are world beaters or just a goat.

Well, given the fact that none of our D-Linemen have started a game for us, and that some of them are freshmen, I'm going to guess that we're not going to have the most amazing D-Line just yet. It's going to be a weakness for us. Glaring weakness, that I don't know. But it will be a weakness at times. Teams will run up the middle at us a lot.

Of course, luckily, we have a guy named A.J. waiting for them when they do. He is pretty good.

Watching them play today they don't look very settled at QB this yr. For the first time in a long time they look beatable. What does everyone else think?

Unfortunately, one thing Lane is actually good at is improving QB play. :ermm:

I thought he did okay, he did look like he was taking advantage of bad D at times, but it didn't look like the sideline was happy with him. Not sure his indecision is going to work in the SEC but man you have to give the guy a break.

Similar position Bama and LSU find themselves in, two QBs that overall got the job done but look like they have very limited ceilings and ability. Bama's problem if anything, was not it's offense it was their continuous struggle with the up tempo spread.

Unfortunately, one thing Lane is actually good at is improving QB play. :ermm:

He just made Crompton do more play action and bootlegs if I recall..sort of what I saw yesterday. But hey if it works it works.

Agree. Every reign comes to an end. This idea that they are head and shoulders above the rest of college football should begin to wear off. There are lots of good teams and coaches out there. It's a lot like bilichek and the Patriots. They had a lot of success early in his tenure at NE. But ever since spygate they haven't won the big one. Probably need to stop looking at saban as some Messiah figure. He's not that good of a game day manager. Hes been blessed with some of the best players available over the last few years. And a lot of people question how he ended up with a lot of those players.

I thought he did okay, he did look like he was taking advantage of bad D at times, but it didn't look like the sideline was happy with him. Not sure his indecision is going to work in the SEC but man you have to give the guy a break.

Similar position Bama and LSU find themselves in, two QBs that overall got the job done but look like they have very limited ceilings and ability. Bama's problem if anything, was not it's offense it was their continuous struggle with the up tempo spread.

it will be interesting to see how bama handles texas a&m's offense and kenny hill. they are going to exploit a very questionable secondary.

I thought Sims played pretty good.he completed over 70% of his passes, managed the game well but did have 1 INT. I would like to see the reaction if Coker had the same #'s. It probably kills Bamas redneck nation that they have black QB.

it will be interesting to see how bama handles texas a&m's offense and kenny hill. they are going to exploit a very questionable secondary.

Not sure I think the problem is the secondary, to me its overall scheme and too much beef in the line up against these type of teams. They did do a very good job of stopping them when they got closer to the endzone and limiting to FGAs against WVU but yeah, I didn't really feel like they had control of them. However, that is how it is against these teams sometimes, when LSU played WVU, they actually moved the ball pretty good too.

We'll see. I actually thought TAM's scheme is pretty easy to figure out, but you still need personnel to execute. No more than three 250+ lbs. guys on the field at a time, ideally only two.

Not sure I think the problem is the secondary, to me its overall scheme and too much beef in the line up against these type of teams. They did do a very good job of stopping them when they got closer to the endzone and limiting to FGAs against WVU but yeah, I didn't really feel like they had control of them. However, that is how it is against these teams sometimes, when LSU played WVU, they actually moved the ball pretty good too.

We'll see. I actually thought TAM's scheme is pretty easy to figure out, but you still need personnel to execute. No more than three 250+ lbs. guys on the field at a time, ideally only two.

Alabama actually went with a smaller lineup against WVU. Robinson typically plays DE, but was switched to nose tackle.

There was a lot of confusion amongst the LBs. Not having DePriest in the lineup had to contribute to that. But the big issue is that Saban and Smart need to scale back on the defensive audibles against HUNH teams. Just get in a base defense and play assignment football.

Of course, not of this will matter if Jackson or Humphrey can't unseat Sylve at corner. That guy cannot compete against even half-way decent WRs.

I think we should know more about them after the Florida game. Unfortunately they have too much talent. I am sure they will figure everything out and be playing at their best when they come to Knoxville. Hopefully I am wrong. :hi:

Alabama actually went with a smaller lineup against WVU. Robinson typically plays DE, but was switched to nose tackle.

There was a lot of confusion amongst the LBs. Not having DePriest in the lineup had to contribute to that. But the big issue is that Saban and Smart need to scale back on the defensive audibles against HUNH teams. Just get in a base defense and play assignment football.

Of course, not of this will matter if Jackson or Humphrey can't unseat Sylve at corner. That guy cannot compete against even half-way decent WRs.

I thought it as a decent outing for both teams, sure a few plays here or there, or more like no drops by the WRs you could have had a setup like the Oklahoma game... but Bama put in the stops where they needed which is what good teams do. I didn't think they played bad at all.

I thought it as a decent outing for both teams, sure a few plays here or there, or more like no drops by the WRs you could have had a setup like the Oklahoma game... but Bama put in the stops where they needed which is what good teams do. I didn't think they played bad at all.

I was pleasantly surprised by the offense. The playcalling is going to be limited with Sims at the helm. It's just a fact. But the coaches were obviously aware of the issues involved there, and they made the right call to have Kiffin on the sideline, rather than in the booth, so that they could start working without a huddle when that became necessary.

Despite a few hiccups, and a limited playbook, Bama still finished with two 100 yard rushers and a 100 yard receiver. It also appears that we might actually have a competent kicker for the first time since Leigh Tiffin graduated.

If Im Bama Id be more worried about that Ds performance than the O. As weird as that sounds. Getting DePriest will cure some of it but they have some issues they normally don't have.

Never good when you complete 72% of your passes or have a 130.0. Yes, he did throw an INT but he got the "W". Bama will be a strong team with their running game.

Agree. Every reign comes to an end. This idea that they are head and shoulders above the rest of college football should begin to wear off. There are lots of good teams and coaches out there. It's a lot like bilichek and the Patriots. They had a lot of success early in his tenure at NE. But ever since spygate they haven't won the big one. Probably need to stop looking at saban as some Messiah figure. He's not that good of a game day manager. Hes been blessed with some of the best players available over the last few years. And a lot of people question how he ended up with a lot of those players.

I agree. Bama may be the third best team in the West behind Auburn and LSU. Heck I am not sure they beat Texas A and M. A and M may score 60 on them.

I would have to question how he got those players as well. it is not like he is Mr. Personality.

You have to figure that the one team with the same payroll as Bama is Auburn and it is starting to look like he can't beat them.

I agree. Bama may be the third best team in the West behind Auburn and LSU. Heck I am not sure they beat Texas A and M. A and M may score 60 on them.

You might want to watch the Wisconsin film especially the first 31 minutes of the game, it was not pretty for LSU. Of course 5-7 1st and 2nd stringers were either suspended or being withheld for discipline and its very young team. They did show some will to get back in the game and basically dominate the last 29 minutes but man, not sure anyone should pick them over Bama just yet.

I thought Bama played good, not dominating, it could have went the other way on them with 3-5 less dropped balls for WVU but it didn't.

Interesting that one AP report picked LSU at #1, not sure what game he watched. LSU has to do some major improvement over the next 3 weeks or so. LSU is going to have a hard time considering they don't have many seniors and too few juniors but we will see.

VN Store

Back