Can We Run TAMU/Sumlin Offense?

With the WR's/TE's/RB's Butch is stock piling Tennessee's stable with....other fan bases will be wondering if they can run OUR offensive scheme :yes:

After watching Boise St vs Ole Miss...Laquon Treadwell in the second half simply out hopped and muscled the shorter DB's Boise State had. North, Croominator, VP, and Malone should truly have a field day as long as Georgia/South Carolina Worley shows up!

We havnt even played one game and they have played only one and you already want to change our offense? Just breathe buddy .

Reactions: 3 people
the scheme wasn't that impressive. It was the execution that was.

Yeah, that's usually the key. And the key to a good coach is that they consistently have their players ready to execute their schemes. Sumlin has done an excellent job with a wide variety of personnel over the years.

wouldnt mind seeing a bunch of short, rhythm throws mixed with a few well timed deep balls like they did. gets the ball to the playmakers then spreads everyone out so you can effectively. Hard to rush the passer too. Carolina was gassed in the 2nd qtr.

It's your garden-variety Air Raid. Nothing groundbreaking about what he does. It's the same thing they do at Texas Tech and West Virginia...and Kentucky.

Looks pretty simple if all your WRs are 6'4" and fast. No running QB required.

Pardon? No running QB required? Did I see another game. Running, or running when required, is different.
Mobile QB is essential for this scheme to be successful.
We're not there yet.
GO VOLS!

I have often wondered where UT would be today had we hired Sumlin instead of Kiffin or Dooley. I really thought A&M would fall off this year but judging from their start on Thursday they may be better than last year.

I do think we have the right coach for the job now but it does not hurt to think of what might have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
So ur saying we don't have an Air Raid offense? Why not?

No I said nothing like that. But I will be happy to for your pleasure. We don't have an air raid offense. As for why not, you may have to ask someone more "in" with the coaching staff. But I believe we want to be more balanced. Jmo

Reactions: 1 person
Ironically, this style of O came to the Big 12 from the SEC. When Bob Stoops was the D coordinator @ Florida, he said that the toughest O to defend in the SEC was the Hal Mumme O @ Kentucky. When he took the OU job, he hired Mike Leach off the Kentucky staff and this one move morphed a conference that had made it's bones on power running attacks into air raid central.

This has also resulted in Big 12 D's having to completely change the way they recruit and scheme. The high scoring games now prevalent in the conference are more a result of D's being stressed in open space by highly athletic and fast O's then they are of inherently bad D's.

I think you are seeing as manifestation of this in recent SEC games, particularly where you have two former Big 12 schools (Mizzou & T A&M), running classic Big 12 up tempo, spread-the-field O's against D's that have been recruited for and coached to go up against more traditional O's.

South Carolina's D was totally gassed and completely over matched in terms of scheme and athleticism. I can only imagine what Baylor's O would have done to the Gamecocks.

A&M looks fierce. The combination of the right hire--Sumlin--after years of underachieving and Texas being down has resulted in a seeming juggernaut. A&M has never lacked talent but they couldn't put it together. Very similar to Dooley's UT teams. I think there are something like 15 players from the three year Dooley run on NFL rosters right now. That's shocking if you've watched our teams the last four years.

I've been thinking about how completely Hamilton decimated our program. If rumors, or at least part of the rumors, are true, Hamilton turned down Sumlin, Gary Patterson, and Brian Kelly in favor of Kiffin and Sumlin and Cutcliffe in favor of Dooley. Any of those guys would've been far superior options to Kiffin and Dooley and UT would likely be competing on the big stage right now.

As it stands, I think we finally got the right guy. I wasn't thrilled about CBJ when he was hired but I admit that my skepticism was likely unwarranted. UT seems on pace to be like A&M in the near future--a burgeoning juggernaut. I think CBJ and Bajakian's offense will be considered innovative and lethal once the talent is paired with the scheme.

Reactions: 2 people
Ironically, this style of O came to the Big 12 from the SEC. When Bob Stoops was the D coordinator @ Florida, he said that the toughest O to defend in the SEC was the Hal Mumme O @ Kentucky. When he took the OU job, he hired Mike Leach off the Kentucky staff and this one move morphed a conference that had made it's bones on power running attacks into air raid central.

This has also resulted in Big 12 D's having to completely change the way they recruit and scheme. The high scoring games now prevalent in the conference are more a result of D's being stressed in open space by highly athletic and fast O's then they are of inherently bad D's.

I think you are seeing as manifestation of this in recent SEC games, particularly where you have two former Big 12 schools (Mizzou & T A&M), running classic Big 12 up tempo, spread-the-field O's against D's that have been recruited for and coached to go up against more traditional O's.

South Carolina's D was totally gassed and completely over matched in terms of scheme and athleticism. I can only imagine what Baylor's O would have done to the Gamecocks.

100% spot on. Well done.

VN Store

Back