A strong FSU and 4 team playoff hurts UF

NEO

Eat at Joe's
I am requesting this stay in the football forum as it does directly impact our team. Florida is in the east and we have never once in the last two decades been in the SEC East running and they not be the team who we must beat to make it in.

I personally believe that a strong FSU and Miami and going to a 4 team playoff system is really hurting them and could cause them to fall back to nothingness like they were pre-Spurrier.

For years, FSU overshadowed UF and it was only when Spurrier came along and the SEC began to have so much hype that Florida took off almost out of nowhere.

Now that the ACC is pretty much automatically in the 4 team play off and FSU has always had more swag than Florida, I think Florida is in real trouble recruiting.

They are in a three college race now for instate kids and FSU is the hot team. If UT continues to stay hot and we begin winning, I honestly think we could be their death knell.

Bama will always be Bama. Kids grow up a lot like Vol fans are are almost religious about their team. They will always be able to pull top players from the south. But UF has no real history. They had a great run but the Gator fans are very young and a lot (at least around here) are already jumping ship to the FSU team.

I honestly believe that if FSU wins the ACC again, and we make it to a bowl, and continue to gain more and more hype, that those two things combined may set Florida back for a decade and they may never be able to recoup.

I am requesting this stay in the football forum as it does directly impact our team. Florida is in the east and we have never once in the last two decades been in the SEC East running and they not be the team who we must beat to make it in.

I personally believe that a strong FSU and Miami and going to a 4 team playoff system is really hurting them and could cause them to fall back to nothingness like they were pre-Spurrier.

For years, FSU overshadowed UF and it was only when Spurrier came along and the SEC began to have so much hype that Florida took off almost out of nowhere.

Now that the ACC is pretty much automatically in the 4 team play off and FSU has always had more swag than Florida, I think Florida is in real trouble recruiting.

They are in a three college race now for instate kids and FSU is the hot team. If UT continues to stay hot and we begin winning, I honestly think we could be their death knell.

Bama will always be Bama. Kids grow up a lot like Vol fans are are almost religious about their team. They will always be able to pull top players from the south. But UF has no real history. They had a great run but the Gator fans are very young and a lot (at least around here) are already jumping ship to the FSU team.

I honestly believe that if FSU wins the ACC again, and we make it to a bowl, and continue to gain more and more hype, that those two things combined may set Florida back for a decade and they may never be able to recoup.

Their national championships aren't real history? Move to a different forum. They struggle because Muschamp can't coach. If he is gone then they can return back to being elite. Miami is a pit right now. Their stadium change is killin g b their game atmosphere and will hurt their recruiting. Im ready for the season to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

UF's '15 recruiting class is ranked 30th. I'd say you're right. Ouch.

Its always easier to give reasons other teams will not do well to make us feel better about our own teams chhances lol.

Bama wasn't so hot awhile back.

Since when have the Vols been hot?

Well in 07 they beat us by forty and we still got in so that's strike one right there.....

Pump the brakes there home slice. Let's try winning some football games before announcing the gators DOA.

Floridas recruiting class will finish in the top ten maybe top five. They will never go back to the pre Spurrier days. When Florida State was in the midst of their dynasty, Florida was also very good. Dumb post is dumb

Reactions: 4 people
Except UF has shown they don't put up with coaches that can't get it done very long and will go out and get another good coach.

I think it's quite silly to say they'll drop off to "nothingness". A crap ton of "I think" and assumption in the OP.

Big reshuffling will take place once Muschamp is run out, Spurrier retires and Richt moves back to restart shooting "Mad about you"

The best thing that could happen in Florida is that UCF, USF, FAU, and FIU all get stronger and compete for the top talent in Florida along with the big three.

It also helps for teams like SC, Clemson, Ohio State, Ky and UT go into Florida and get some of that talent.

They have too much money, too many alums, and live in a state where even if FSU and Miami filled their rosters with high end in state talent, there would still be enough for UF to be good and at least mid pack SEC or better.

Floridas recruiting class will finish in the top ten maybe top five. They will never go back to the pre Spurrier days. When Florida State was in the midst of their dynasty, Florida was also very good. Dumb post is dumb

The OP isn't far off.

And if you think a class currently ranked 30th has any chance whatsoever of finishing in the top 5 - I seriously question your intelligence.

The Gators are falling way behind the rest of the SEC in facilities which is further hurting their recruiting. "The Swamp" is a trash heap. I'm not sure when their last renovation was but it looks like it may have been in the 70's. Last time I was in Gainesville in '11 the concession and restroom areas had a mold/moth ball smell.

No indoor practice facility, crappy locker rooms, etc, etc.

Bad on the field performance coupled with lack of SEC caliber facilities are hurting them.

As a Gator fan I'm not worried about Miami as a recruiting rival. Their "success" is too erratic. I worry more about Texas taking top Miami talent from us because of Charlie Strong.

FSU is a problem for us and it's coming at the worst time in that, with our ineptitude on offense, the changes at OC, and the emphasis on rock star defense, the 6'5" receivers are not committing. If we can show signs of offensive life we'll be ok. If not, it could be a few years to get back on track.

This is obviously the make or break year for Muschump. If he has another bad year and gets the boot, then may the curse of the coaching carousel be upon them.

As a Gator fan I'm not worried about Miami as a recruiting rival. Their "success" is too erratic. I worry more about Texas taking top Miami talent from us because of Charlie Strong.

FSU is a problem for us and it's coming at the worst time in that, with our ineptitude on offense, the changes at OC, and the emphasis on rock star defense, the 6'5" receivers are not committing. If we can show signs of offensive life we'll be ok. If not, it could be a few years to get back on track.

If they don't get their facilities on par with the other big dogs of the SEC and soon - it could be longer than a few years.

Luckily for UF - FSU isn't there yet and Miami will probably never be there as far as facilities are concerned.

The SEC is a different beast though. Tennessee, LSU and Alabama are already up there nationally and UGA (crappy indoor facility aside) USC, and A&M are making the move as well. MSU and Mizzou are at least attempting. AU as well.

The OP isn't far off.

And if you think a class currently ranked 30th has any chance whatsoever of finishing in the top 5 - I seriously question your intelligence.

The Gators are falling way behind the rest of the SEC in facilities which is further hurting their recruiting. "The Swamp" is a trash heap. I'm not sure when their last renovation was but it looks like it may have been in the 70's. Last time I was in Gainesville in '11 the concession and restroom areas had a mold/moth ball smell.

Bad on the field performance coupled with lack of SEC caliber facilities are hurting them.

UF can easily finish in the top 10 in recruiting. It's a long way to NSD. Top 5? No. Wow. People think UF having 1 bad season is going to turn them into us. Don't bank on it. Too much talent on the team. They will be healthier this year.

The OP isn't far off.

They only have 10 commits and only 6 of the teams in front of them have a higher star average. They are predicted by most in the know to pick up AT LEAST 3 five stars by the end of September. If you think Ark, Syracuse, Maryland , NWestern, Mich State, UVA, TCU, Mississippi St, Boston College,Wisconsin ,Arizona, Kentucky , Georgia Tech, UNC, DUKE, will finish Ahead of them....then I highly question YOUR intelligence.

Well in 07 they beat us by forty and we still got in so that's strike one right there.....
SEC Title game appearances are based on won/loss records, and not individual game results.

The OP isn't far off.

If Florida isn't the best team in their state and they're not the best team in the East, then they look to have nowhere to go but down. Looking forward to it.

UF can easily finish in the top 10 in recruiting. It's a long way to NSD. Top 5? No. Wow. People think UF having 1 bad season is going to turn them into us. Don't bank on it. Too much talent on the team. They will be healthier this year.

I don't think you realize how far they are behind the rest of the SEC in facilities. We're talking Vanderbilt (a private school) type stuff here.

I don't think they even have a long term plan in place yet either.

Two losing seasons in a row with those yucky facilities and it's panic time in Gainesville.

EDIT: Vanderbilt just opened a new indoor facility. It's even worse than I thought.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back