O'Bannon Wins

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
Last edited:
Funny I didn't see anything about softball, baseball, golf, track and field, hockey, skiing, wrestling, swimming or tennis.

Funny I didn't see anything about softball, baseball, golf, track and field, hockey, skiing, wrestling, swimming or tennis.

Think of them as the other conferences as it relates to the Power 5.

....does that S-E-C chant feel any different now?

I am still going through the ruling but on the surface not surprised at all but I could possibly see a cross-appeal as well. So many suits are in the system and more are in the works as I mentioned out here before.

The schools better wake-up and wake-up fast and address their system which is contrary to law.

Billions and billions, eventually an attorney general is going to jump on the band wagon. The guy on ESPN is completely wrong, no the kids will be negotiating with the NCAA, conferences and schools.....they can negotiate with the schools... the rest is not needed as that will fall into anti-trust.

I'm no lawyer but when I read the judge's ruling, she shoots down every NCAA argument made at the trial. That's not really surprising because some of it was really ridiculous. I guess maybe the NCAA can feel good about the "cap" aspect of it...pretty stunning overall though.

I'm no lawyer but when I read the judge's ruling, she shoots down every NCAA argument made at the trial. That's not really surprising because some of it was really ridiculous. I guess maybe the NCAA can feel good about the "cap" aspect of it...pretty stunning overall though.

IMO the ruling itself is actually pretty narrow, in realty it actually makes little sense, however what she was really ruling upon was so narrow... and she was going by what the plaintiff put forward as remedy. Unfortunately, this will continue over and over in various federal and state courts.

The cap is really the funny part as this was offered by the Plaintiffs, that does not stop another federal court from eliminating the cap or upping the cap, nor scraping the whole ruling and going another direction.

What is further interesting, as noted in testimony and even the court is saying the players are receiving "compensation", the NCAA has thrown the schools under the bus. State labor laws rule supreme.

Basically the Plaintiffs formed this in a way to open the flood gates.... the ruling itself is strange as it does not address many things which is why the Plaintiff's lawyers are smiling. The testimony of NCAA officials will be used over and over in other cases.

It's over, the sooner the schools realize that... they less they will lose... ultimately billions and billions.

Last edited:
IMO the ruling itself is actually pretty narrow, in realty it actually makes little sense, however what she was really ruling upon was so narrow... and she was going by what the plaintiff put forward as remedy. Unfortunately, this will continue over and over in various federal and state courts.

The cap is really the funny part as this was offered by the Plaintiffs, that does not stop another federal court from eliminating the cap or upping the cap, nor scraping the whole ruling and going another direction.

What is further interesting, as noted in testimony and even the court is saying the players are receiving "compensation", the NCAA has thrown the schools under the bus. State labor laws rule supreme.

Basically the Plaintiffs formed this in a way to open the flood gates.... the ruling itself is strange as it does not address many things which is why the Plaintiff's lawyers are smiling. The testimony of NCAA officials will be used over and over in other cases.

It's over, the sooner the schools realize that... they less they will lose... ultimately billions and billions.

I agree to an extent, it is narrow. I also agree that there will be more battles, but it makes the battle lines clearer, in this particular case and shows some weakness that will be exploited in upcoming cases. The cap and the inability of the players to be endorsers of products are the only "losses" for the plaintiffs, and they can battle those, but the NCAA has a much steeper hill to climb in just about every aspect.

The Jeffery Kessler case is in the pipe line and everything I've read is that the potential for damage to the NCAA is with that one, and as you said, correctly in my view, everything the NCAA said in this trial will be used against them wherever applicable in that one.

nothing that some appeal lawyering cant fix

It isn't going to be that easy.

There's no way to come up with a logical argument that schools should be able to profit off of their players' likenesses and images while prohibiting thr players from doing the same.

Why do you say that good friend from the baseball forum? :)

Players are going to start holding out for more cash. It will make it no different than the crappy NFL. The amatuerism is what makes college sports special.

Reactions: 1 person
Players are going to start holding out for more cash. It will make it no different than the crappy NFL. The amatuerism is what makes college sports special.

The part where they make billions in revenue and get nothing for it? Or the part where we pretend that giving them an education in one of the worst educational countries is "equal" for the hours and strain they actually put on their bodies? There's a reason no other country combines athletics with college level learning, because the two things should be separate and really have nothing to do with each other.

Reactions: 3 people
The part where they make billions in revenue and get nothing for it? Or the part where we pretend that giving them an education in one of the worst educational countries is "equal" for the hours and strain they actually put on their bodies? There's a reason no other country combines athletics with college level learning, because the two things should be separate and really have nothing to do with each other.

That's what makes America special, the fact that athletes can get a free education. The education is worth around 3 million dollars. Whether athletes want to screw that up its their fault. I would love to get a free education. There's a reason foreigners go to our colleges. Our k-12 system is second rate, but our universities are among the best.

If they want to get paid, they can pay for their own tuition, food, books, medical care, and bills.

Define amateurism and then send it to the NCAA lawyers because they certainly couldn't define it during the trial.

The players...how can you blame them, they didn't come up with this system, they certainly didn't rig it in their favor...

It's hard to do...it's hard to say...It's the University of Tennessee's fault for kicking the can down the road, multiplied by every other university, every administrator, school president, board etc...

At any time, they could have turned down the money, what do I mean.

It's not in the best interest of college football players to go from a ten game schedule to a twelve game schedule. It's not in the best interest of college football players to accept a one year scholarship when a school can offer a four year scholarship. It's not in the best interest of college football players to play mid week games, on the other side of the country, due to conference expansion, of which they have no choice, while missing more classes, all because television dictates they do so.

The schools, including UT, are at fault. They lost today. Full Stop.

Define amateurism and then send it to the NCAA lawyers because they certainly couldn't define it during the trial.

The players...how can you blame them, they didn't come up with this system, they certainly didn't rig it in their favor...

It's hard to do...it's hard to say...It's the University of Tennessee's fault for kicking the can down the road, multiplied by every other university, every administrator, school president, board etc...

At any time, they could have turned down the money, what do I mean.

It's not in the best interest of college football players to go from a ten game schedule to a twelve game schedule. It's not in the best interest of college football players to accept a one year scholarship when a school can offer a four year scholarship. It's not in the best interest of college football players to play mid week games, on the other side of the country, due to conference expansion, of which they have no choice, while missing more classes, all because television dictates they do so.

The schools, including UT, are at fault. They lost today. Full Stop.

They also get everything they need for free. They have no bills, grocery bills, medical bills, no rent, and no real world responsibility. I would love that to just have to go workout and play a kids game. I don't mind 4 year scholarships, reasonable hours of practice,and no weekday game. I'd support that. I draw the line with a salary.

I'd support the players getting a legitimate opportunity to get the education they deserve. It's a highly valued intangible asset. An asset that 70% of people have to go into fiscal slavery to get. If that includes Friday/Saturday games only, four year scholarships, personal finance education, that'd be better.

There are semipro leagues everywhere, and I bet an entrepenure would love to pay guys out of high school to play.

Last edited:
They also get everything they need for free. They have no bills, grocery bills, medical bills, no rent, and no real world responsibility. I would love that to just have to go workout and play a kids game.

That simply isn't true.

The NCAA wouldn't be offering full cost of attendance if that was true.

A month or so ago, the NCAA eased restrictions on schools providing food for athletes...OU is now buying several mobile food trucks...and every other school will try to up that... for recruiting purposes.

Let me go a different direction. No other student is barred from making money. Get a modeling job, become an actress, hell work in the food court, the college paper, get an internship, study over seas, design an app...

Or tell Renaldo Woolridge, Swiperboy, (sp?) he can't sign a recording contract with a record label because an agent would be working on the deal and he'd wipe out his eligibility...even though it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with sports. (just an example) This isn't AS hard as THEY make it out to be.

Reactions: 2 people
That simply isn't true.

The NCAA wouldn't be offering full cost of attendance if that was true.

A month or so ago, the NCAA eased restrictions on schools providing food for athletes...OU is now buying several mobile food trucks...and every other school will try to up that... for recruiting purposes.

Let me go a different direction. No other student is barred from making money. Get a modeling job, become an actress, hell work in the food court, the college paper, get an internship, study over seas, design an app...

Or tell Renaldo Woolridge, Swiperboy, (sp?) he can't sign a recording contract with a record label because an agent would be working on the deal and he'd wipe out his eligibility...even though it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with sports. (just an example) This isn't AS hard as THEY make it out to be.

Good example. Kids should be able to get jobs, unlimited food, and have full cost of attendance. They should not have a salary. The players and schools lost the privilege of jobs because of cases like Rhett Bomar. It was a bad solution though.

Lol at college football being a kids game.

It is a kids game. It starts with Pee Wee football. Every sport out there is a kids game. Besides NFL players, how many adults go out and play football for fun?

Didn't you like tackling your buddies when you were a kid. How many people above the age of 25 ( once again excluding NFL players) go out almost every weekend and play football?

Also, people love rationalizing criminal mistake made by college football players by saying they're just kids.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back