Richt

Volador

Orange you glad to be a Vol??
Athens - this is Houston, do you read?
Houston - this is Athens. No, kant reed.

Georgia coach Richt downplays off-field troubles
AP 7:28 p.m. EDT August 1, 2014
2014-08-01-mark-richt

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) — A series of arrests. Players kicked off the team. It's been a tumultuous offseason for the Georgia Bulldogs, raising questions about the way coach Mark Richt runs the program.

Richt insists there are no major issues, just a few bad apples.

His players, on the other hand, thought the situation was serious enough to meet before the start of preseason practice on Friday.

"We just felt like we needed to get together and hash some things out," linebacker Jordan Jenkins said. "That's the first time we've done that in the three years I've been here."

There was plenty to discuss.

Starting safety Josh Harvey-Clemons was kicked off the team after being suspended twice last season. Four players were arrested on charges of illegal check-cashing, including another starting safety, Tray Matthews, and defensive lineman Jonathan Taylor. Matthews was eventually dismissed from the team and transferred to Auburn. Taylor was soon gone, too, after his second arrest of the offseason, this one for the alleged beating of his girlfriend.

"We needed to get everybody together, get the leaders together, and just get it fixed," Jenkins said.

Georgia coach Richt downplays off-field troubles

I can't disagree with Richt's assessment. It'd be different if he wasn't kicking players off the team or was going the Auburn route and running a halfway house.

Agree but coaches ultimately are responsible for all good and bad apples, correct? And the team holding a coachless meeting before their first practice? That's unusual, yes?

Seems like Richt's policy is that he'll give the benefit of the doubt to recruits who are potential character risks, but he has no qualms about dumping them from the program if they can't stay in line. I have no problem with that approach.

Reactions: 4 people
Reactions: 6 people

I mean...... do you really want to have this conversation? Do you really?

http://www.cbs46.com/story/26080809/uga-football-player-arrested-on-domestic-violence-charge

http://arrestnation.com/tag/university-of-georgia-football-player-arrested/

http://m.onlineathens.com/sports/college-sports/2014-03-17/4-uga-football-players-arrested-charged-theft-deception

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Wow, underage drinking. Horrible. Quit trying to deflect the problems going on in Athens. You guys are all over national media right now for arrests. Embarrassment

If a party here or there are the worst things out players do, I'll be ecstatic.

Not taking anyone's side in this matter, but just observing as an outsider it seems like Richt hoes to great lengths to try and run an honorable program.b He released more top talent during his time than any coach in the country I would think. Since he is ultimately responsible, he boot them rather quickly and gets them out
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Not taking anyone's side in this matter, but just observing as an outsider it seems like Richt hoes to great lengths to try and run an honorable program.b He released more top talent during his time than any coach in the country I would think. Since he is ultimately responsible, he boot them rather quickly and gets them out
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Thank you. You hear more about UGA players because the Athens police doesn't call position coaches when they see an infraction, they arrest them. I'd like for some of the posters who are doing comparisons to tell me why, when all schools are recruiting from the same pool, they think UGA players get into more trouble than the rest. UT has had two sets of arrests with guns involved. Auburn players were beating up and stealing from other students. We have alcohol arrests and it's handled the way it's supposed to be, we kick the players off the team. An alcohol arrest does not come close to armed robbery. Don't believe me, just ask a judge.

Wow, underage drinking. Horrible. Quit trying to deflect the problems going on in Athens. You guys are all over national media right now for arrests. Embarrassment

Lol! "All over the national media" huh? Maybe the embarrassment is actually from getting throttled by a private school two years in-a-row and not having a winning season since Moses was a child! :whistling:

Lol! "All over the national media" huh? Maybe the embarrassment is actually from getting throttled by a private school two years in-a-row and not having a winning season since Moses was a child! :whistling:

Moses?! Hahaha Your date of birth sounds more accurate. It would make sense with the way you come in here and try to sling mud on a rivals board like a child.

Moses?! Hahaha Your date of birth sounds more accurate. It would make sense with the way you come in here and try to sling mud on a rivals board like a child.

Sling mud on a thread titled "Richt"?!?! Scroll back up and see where mud was slung, Jr. Pantywaists trying to throw stones when they live in thin-glass houses. Partying is one thing, armed-robbery is whole 'nuther. Don't give me that crap.

Sling mud on a thread titled "Richt"?!?! Scroll back up and see where mud was slung, Jr. Pantywaists trying to throw stones when they live in thin-glass houses. Partying is one thing, armed-robbery is whole 'nuther. Don't give me that crap.

You're getting desperate for a valid argument. Our armed robbery happened 5 years ago. I posted 3 links on the first page of this thread about UGA players getting arrested...... they all happened within the last 8 months......

Everybody knows Kiffin recruited a bunch of thugs. At the time anybody who paid attention knew that we'd end up in trouble the way he was recruiting. So far Butch has run a tight ship, so your really poor attempt is nowhere close to relevant. Your program is an embarrassment of arrests right now. You might just wanna bow out of this one because you don't have a leg to stand on in this argument.

NB4 "but only by 4 points" ? Errrr, actually that wouldn't work either.

If by your timeframe Tennessee hasn't had a winning season since Moses, then Georgia hasn't won a national championship since dinosaurs were walking the earth.

Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back