Arkansas Football: Cleanest Program in the SEC?

WooPigSooie

Arkansas Football: Cleanest Program in the SEC? - Arkansas Fight

With 12 arrests or citations of Arkansas Football players between October 2010 and Bielema's hiring in December 2012, Arkansas was not sitting pretty in terms of off the field issues when Bret took over the program. Since his hiring, only one player has been arrested or cited (Austin Flynn DWI) and that was over 500 days ago. In fact, Arkansas is the only SEC Football program to have no arrests or citations in 2014. (much of the data for this article comes from arrestnation.com)

Before writing this article, I wanted to verify that this was a pattern and not an aberration for Bielema. I was pleased to see that going back to September 2011, only 2 players were cited or arrested at Wisconsin (no arrests since he left), which means that Bielema coached teams have only had three arrests or citations in the last 1,000+ days.

How does this compare to our yearly opponents?

Much has been made about the off season and off the field issues for many SEC programs. Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and Tennessee have been the worst offenders. Though all of the Tennessee's run-ins with the law happened on the same day. Tennessee had 10 players (current and former) cited or arrested at one party in February 2014. Even Vanderbilt has had 2 arrests in the last year.

Alabama, Auburn, and Texas A&M have all had arrests in the month of June and have combined for 21 arrests in the last year. Is this a question of the coaches? Saban averages an arrest nearly every 100 days, while Mark Richt averages one every 75 days.

LSU had two players arrested the week before this article is posting. One stole a bike and the other was throwing firecrackers that caused a fire. Not every incident is a felony, but still glad it's not happening on The Hill.

If you believe in jinxes or curses, then you will see this article as the cause of the next off the field issue for a Razorback, but if you're like me, you start to think Bret really means the stuff he says when he tells you that he doesn't bring in the problem kids.

----------------------

At least Arkansas is good at something at the moment.

Does the SEC award some kind of trophy for cleanest program?

I know Arkansas' trophy case is pretty empty, so it shouldn't be hard to get a photo of it.

Reactions: 1 person
Arkansas Football: Cleanest Program in the SEC? - Arkansas Fight

With 12 arrests or citations of Arkansas Football players between October 2010 and Bielema's hiring in December 2012, Arkansas was not sitting pretty in terms of off the field issues when Bret took over the program. Since his hiring, only one player has been arrested or cited (Austin Flynn DWI) and that was over 500 days ago. In fact, Arkansas is the only SEC Football program to have no arrests or citations in 2014. (much of the data for this article comes from arrestnation.com)

Before writing this article, I wanted to verify that this was a pattern and not an aberration for Bielema. I was pleased to see that going back to September 2011, only 2 players were cited or arrested at Wisconsin (no arrests since he left), which means that Bielema coached teams have only had three arrests or citations in the last 1,000+ days.

How does this compare to our yearly opponents?

Much has been made about the off season and off the field issues for many SEC programs. Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and Tennessee have been the worst offenders. Though all of the Tennessee's run-ins with the law happened on the same day. Tennessee had 10 players (current and former) cited or arrested at one party in February 2014. Even Vanderbilt has had 2 arrests in the last year.

Alabama, Auburn, and Texas A&M have all had arrests in the month of June and have combined for 21 arrests in the last year. Is this a question of the coaches? Saban averages an arrest nearly every 100 days, while Mark Richt averages one every 75 days.

LSU had two players arrested the week before this article is posting. One stole a bike and the other was throwing firecrackers that caused a fire. Not every incident is a felony, but still glad it's not happening on The Hill.

If you believe in jinxes or curses, then you will see this article as the cause of the next off the field issue for a Razorback, but if you're like me, you start to think Bret really means the stuff he says when he tells you that he doesn't bring in the problem kids.

----------------------

At least Arkansas is good at something at the moment.

All of those charges were dismissed on payments of court cost several months ago and their records expunged within 60 days. That was worth a mention I think.

Reactions: 1 person
I can see where you're going with the thread and your points about the coach. Obviously some users are gonna see this as something you're bragging about (idk, maybe you legitimately are?)

Either way, with so many young college kids (sometimes with big egos) you're gonna have stupid decisions.

I can see where you're going with the thread and your points about the coach. Obviously some users are gonna see this as something you're bragging about (idk, maybe you legitimately are?)

Either way, with so many young college kids (sometimes with big egos) you're gonna have stupid decisions.

Lot of Bielema bashing in the SEC.. just wanted to toss this little nugget out there. It's certainly relevant.

Yeah lots of mouth running and then 3-9 tends to do that.

Yeah.. he does talk a lot. Sometimes I would rather him talk a little less but his staff has done everything right in Arkansas' football program to build a solid foundation for sustained success.

Arkansas was close to being ruled ineligible for post season play because of academic issues and what not when Bret took over. Academic Progress Rate is now way up and off the field issues are low among other things that build a healthy program.

When that does translate into wins.. the wins wont be coming off a house of cards.

I dont expect this season to be the year of wins however.. four wins is probably about par.. maybe we can steal a fifth.

I don't think we have much room to talk about how many games we win. We won 5 games. I'm happy for you Arkansas. I think your coach will be let go before he actually improves the team on the field. That's just my prediction though.

I think your coach will be let go before he actually improves the team on the field. That's just my prediction though.

Thats not a bad prediction. It's going to take at least five seasons to be competitive again.. not many fans in the SEC have time for that

VN Store

Back