California restricts full contact practice

volmanbill

The future is bright
Staff member
The legislation comes amid increasing concern about brain injuries in football. Assembly Bill 2127, by Assemblyman Ken Cooley, D-Rancho Cordova, prohibits middle school and high school football teams from holding full-contact practices during the off-season and limits them to no more than two full-contact practices per week during the preseason and regular season.

Nineteen other states have banned full-contact high school football practices in the off-season, according to a legislative analysis.

I didn't realize other states have also acted similarly.

Jerry Brown signs bill limiting full-contact football practice in California - Capitol Alert - The Sacramento Bee

Just furthering the wussification of America.

And if the term "wussification" bothers you, then you're probably part of the problem.

Reactions: 14 people
Typical California. I don't understand this at all. You're more likely to get hurt in a game anyway.

Reactions: 1 person
This just in, California Board of Regents will petition the Pac 12 that all game against any team in California will not keep the score and at the end of the game each team will be awarded a victory because they are all winners

I'd be interested to know if many HS's have more than 2 days of contact anyway. Once games started, we only had two days of full contact to begin with. Monday's were shoulder pads and shorts, mostly working on kick coverage and conditioning then film. Tues-Wed were pad days and Thurs was helmet and shorts doing the game walk through. That was FL so I doubt we had a law like this 12 yrs ago but I could be wrong.

Just furthering the wussification of America.

And if the term "wussification" bothers you, then you're probably part of the problem.

Agreed, California is full of sissies. Jerry Brown is a joke! This hurts the kids because they'll be less prepared for college.

I'd be interested to know if many HS's have more than 2 days of contact anyway. Once games started, we only had two days of full contact to begin with. Monday's were shoulder pads and shorts, mostly working on kick coverage and conditioning then film. Tues-Wed were pad days and Thurs was helmet and shorts doing the game walk through. That was FL so I doubt we had a law like this 12 yrs ago but I could be wrong.

Same with my HS and that was in TN between 01-03. It seems to me to be common practice in the first place. Nothing to see here

Reactions: 2 people
Even 87-90 in high school we had full pads on Monday and Tuesday. Helmet, shoulder pads (shorts) on Wednesday. Helmet and sweats on Thursday. Most of the continuous hitting was in the summer during 2 a days.

I think that's been the norm for a long time. I'm laughing at the ones getting their shorts in a bunch over it since it's been pretty much that way forever.

I think that's been the norm for a long time. I'm laughing at the ones getting their shorts in a bunch over it since it's been pretty much that way forever.
What this guy said. Who the hell wants to hit everyday, anyways? That's just stupid.

It may have been that way forever. But the sad thing is that who the heck does the government think they are controlling football practice. Maybe a coach has a bunch of pansies and he thinks they need to go full contact before a game. The government shouldn't be able to tell that coach how he should do his job. #don't tread on me.

It was the in season norm back in the 80's. That was unless we played like shizz then M-W was full pads. Preseason was 2 and 3 a-days full pads almost everyday.

It may have been that way forever. But the sad thing is that who the heck does the government think they are controlling football practice. Maybe a coach has a bunch of pansies and he thinks they need to go full contact before a game. The government shouldn't be able to tell that coach how he should do his job. #don't tread on me.

Well when the parents want to sue the coach and the schools into oblivion because little Johnny can't remember his name at age 15, then that becomes a problem for them. #udon'tunderstandwhylawsaremade

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back