Is Lou Holtz claim to fame just talking funny oops I mean motivating?

volberry

Did the dude have any coaching ability? He talks so much crap on ESPN! His teams were good but what was his deal. I remember he was always talking crap about UT. I hate him.

He won a MNC at Notre Dame
and also managed to get Notre Dame, South Carolina and Minnesota on probation. So he was Coach Cal before Coach Cal

What is "talking funny oops"? I don't know how to talk regular oops, much less funny ones.

He turned around every program (Arky, Minn, SC, and ND) he caoched at..........I would say he was a pretty good coach in his day.

Reactions: 2 people
If you look at his entire body of work I would say he was an above average coach. He finished with a 249-132-7 record. He won the National Championship at ND in 1988. He had a good run at Arkansas too. I wouldn't say he turned around SC though, he finished with a losing record overall at SC.

If you look at his entire body of work I would say he was an above average coach. He finished with a 249-132-7 record. He won the National Championship at ND in 1988. He had a good run at Arkansas too. I wouldn't say he turned around SC though, he finished with a losing record overall at SC.

Didn't turn around SC? You serious Clark? Go research what he had to deal with when he took over SC instead of just looking at his overall record. He took SC to 9, 8 and 6 win seasons. This is at a school that has been completely irrelevant for almost their entire history. Really, go look at their year to year records, its embarrasing.

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't turn around SC? You serious Clark? Go research what he had to deal with when he took over SC instead of just looking at his overall record. He took SC to 9, 8 and 6 win seasons. This is at a school that has been completely irrelevant for almost their entire history. Really, go look at their year to year records, its embarrasing.
Sparky Woods era (1989-1993) 25-27-3

Brad Scott era (1994-1998) 23–32–1

Lou Holtz era (1999-2004) 33–37

Like I said, he didn't turn anything around, his tenure was only marginally better, if that. What Spurrier has done is what you can consider turning around.

Last edited:
His saliva has been documented to have a powerful affect on local humidity other than that no.

Like I said, he didn't turn anything around, his tenure was only marginally better, if that. What Spurrier has done is what you can consider turning around.

11 of those losses came in his first season because he was left with a JV team. Oh, and he was a geezer when he took the job.

He won the ACC at NC State.
He won the SWC while at Arkansas.
He won the NC at ND.
Brought SC to their first Top 25 ranking in 13 years and first Back-to-Back Bowl Wins....ever, which was only the 2nd and 3rd Bowl Games they've ever won.

But yeah, he was average...

tumblr_m0w9frDouN1r0ufaco1_250.gif

It's funny how the youngsters just don't realize how bad SC was.

Not sure on this, but I think Lou overcame a bad speech impediment.

Yes, he was a good coach. The hogs were crazy to fire him. He turned around Minnesota. And got Notre Dame a national championship. Lou was just fair at South Carolina but he was on the down slope at that point of his career. He made them respectable.

11 of those losses came in his first season because he was left with a JV team. Oh, and he was a geezer when he took the job.

He won the ACC at NC State.
He won the SWC while at Arkansas.
He won the NC at ND.
Brought SC to their first Top 25 ranking in 13 years and first Back-to-Back Bowl Wins....ever, which was only the 2nd and 3rd Bowl Games they've ever won.

But yeah, he was average...

It's funny how the youngsters just don't realize how bad SC was.
He had 3 losing seasons out of 6 at SC. Lets not make him out to be something he wasn't. He was an above average coach.

He had 3 losing seasons out of 6 at SC. Lets not make him out to be something he wasn't. He was an above average coach.

It's funny that many on here are giving Jones a pass for last season and are expecting 5-7 or 6-6 this year and still consider him a good coach. You people really have no idea what South Carolina was like in the late 90's. They sucked something awful.

Reactions: 8 people
It's funny that many on here are giving Jones a pass for last season and are expecting 5-7 or 6-6 this year and still consider him a good coach. You people really have no idea what South Carolina was like for the history of CFB until the 2000s. They sucked something awful.

fyp

My 10-year-old doesn't know a time when TN was a powerhouse, and SC wasn't.

I live in the twilight zone.

Hell, the FR on this year's team would have been 2 when UT won the NC. Those kids don't really remember a time when UT was really good. They would have been 10-11 the last time UT was in the SEC CG.

It's like you didn't even read what I said. I specifically said you have to look beyond overall record. Besides, if you take 1999 out (when he was left with Brad Scott's garbage and went 0-11) he was 33-26 at what was at the time one of the worst major college programs in the country. Spurrier's first few teams were built on the back of Lou Holtz's work at USC.

0-11 his first season.

Won 9 games his 2nd yr, 8 games his 3 rd yr

Beat Ohio State in back to back bowl games (first time in school history IIRC).

SCar was worse than Kentucky when Holtz took that job. He couldn't sustain it, but he improved that program a lot.

Reactions: 1 person
It's like you didn't even read what I said. I specifically said you have to look beyond overall record. Besides, if you take 1999 out (when he was left with Brad Scott's garbage and went 0-11) he was 33-26 at what was at the time one of the worst major college programs in the country. Spurrier's first few teams were built on the back of Lou Holtz's work at USC.
I did look beyond his overall record. In his last 3 seasons, 2 of them produced losing results. His last one had 6 wins.

I did look beyond his overall record. In his last 3 seasons, 2 of them produced losing results. His last one had 6 wins.

2 of Fulmer's 4 last seasons produced losing results. Did he suck as well? 2 of Jones' last 4 seasons have produced losing results. Does he suck as well?

VN Store

Back