14 best college football stadiums (NFL)

Obviously an anti-SEC bias or the writer has never been to most SEC stadiums.

The author looks like he's straight from a boy band in 1999.

Lists are not only just one person's opinion but also a very lazy format to write a column. I have never heard of Brian Fischer and couldn't care less about his opinion or what credentials of his could possibly qualify him as more of an authority than anyone else.

Lists are not only just one person's opinion but also a very lazy format to write a column. I have never heard of Brian Fischer and couldn't care less about his opinion or what credentials of his could possibly qualify him as more of an authority than anyone else.

They also generate the most click throughs and backlinks.

....Not that I'm disagreeing with you.

This guy has some good stadiums listed but someone should hand him his hat for not listing Neyland. Oh well...it's one mans opinion. When we are good, night games in Neyland were so much fun!!

Someone is getting bumped from that list next year.

Attachments

• 1615-1.jpg
    1615-1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 5
Well there is this...

Attachments

• Carnac-1.jpg
    Carnac-1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 person
Not sure what they mean by "best stadium". As far as atmosphere, not sure I have been anywhere like Tiger stadium on a Saturday night against a top 10 team. Its quite the experience, even for the opposing team.

With that said, Saturday afternoon there is not even close to being top 14... completely different vibe.

What is starting to kill the vibe there, are season ticket holders that leave at half-time.

Not sure what they mean by "best stadium". As far as atmosphere, not sure I have been anywhere like Tiger stadium on a Saturday night against a top 10 team. Its quite the experience, even for the opposing team.

With that said, Saturday afternoon there is not even close to being top 14... completely different vibe.

What is starting to kill the vibe there, are season ticket holders that leave at half-time.

Our students don't bother to show up until halfway through the first quarter.

Our crusty old season ticket holders aren't the problem.

While I've never been, I'll readily admit the swamp gives me the willies like no other opposing stadium.

While I've never been, I'll readily admit the swamp gives me the willies like no other opposing stadium.

Jordan-Hare and LSU's Death Valley are the most intimidating stadiums I've visited as a rival fan.

Doak Campbell is more annoying than intimidating, in that we usually play like crap in spite of having about 20-25K fans in FSU's house.

Neyland isn't as intimidating as it should be, especially for a stadium that size.

Jordan-Hare and LSU's Death Valley are the most intimidating stadiums I've visited as a rival fan.

Doak Campbell is more annoying than intimidating, in that we usually play like crap in spite of having about 20-25K fans in FSU's house.

Neyland isn't as intimidating as it should be, especially for a stadium that size.

Swamp at night is at/near the top IMO. Even day games in Swamp are pretty impressive.

Sanford and Jordan-Hare are close, but Auburn's fans are consistently better.

LSU was good, not intimidating my lone visit - disclaimer: it was a late afternoon (not a night) game.

Bama's crowd is impressive - roll tide chant, but not what I think of when I hear intimidating.

SCar is good atmosphere, not intimidating IMO.

Night games can be the 'X' factor, but not always consistent. Totally different experience for some stadiums (LSU).

Best crowd noise/intimidation in my lifetime for games I attended:

1986 Sugar Bowl...it was like Neyland on steroids...outnumbered Cane fans 10 to 1
1998 Florida game...hands down best 4+ hrs of crowd noise I've ever witnessed in Neyland

Swamp at night is at/near the top IMO. Even day games in Swamp are pretty impressive.

Sanford and Jordan-Hare are close, but Auburn's fans are consistently better.

LSU was good, not intimidating my lone visit - disclaimer: it was a late afternoon (not a night) game.

Bama's crowd is impressive - roll tide chant, but not what I think of when I hear intimidating.

SCar is good atmosphere, not intimidating IMO.

Night games can be the 'X' factor, but not always consistent. Totally different experience for some stadiums (LSU).

Best crowd noise/intimidation in my lifetime for games I attended:

1986 Sugar Bowl...it was like Neyland on steroids...outnumbered Cane fans 10 to 1
1998 Florida game...hands down best 4+ hrs of crowd noise I've ever witnessed in Neyland

In odd-numbered years historically UT is our first "big" home game, so the crowd is usually more amped up than normal, whether it's a day game or night game. However in the era of smartphones, social media and cheap HDTVs, our student section has gotten soft.

I've had the misfortune of witnessing some of UF's biggest road losses:

Auburn (2001, 2006)
FSU (1996 and many others)
LSU (1997, 2007)
South Carolina (2005)
Tennessee (1998, 2004)

UF was Top 5 in many of these games, in some cases #1, so the atmosphere was great in every stadium.

Without question, LSU 1997 and Auburn 2001 were the loudest games I've ever attended in terms of sustained crowd noise. Neyland in 1998 is a distant third.

The crowd noise at night games in Baton Rouge simply cannot be overstated, it's insane.

Last edited:
The Swamp ain't what it used to be, but I refuse to believe Boise and a handful of stadiums on that list are any better.

Yep, I went to the 95 UT-Florida game. By the second half the Swamp was rocking. I've been to plenty of games in Neyland including the 98 UT-Florida game. Both scenes would be hard to top.

VN Store

Back