Muschamp vs Dooley: Is Muschamp a Lame Duck?

DiderotsGhost

As UT fans, we're obviously very interested in the fate of one of our biggest rivals: Florida. While it's no secret that Muschamp is on the hot seat, a quick look at the latest recruiting rankings leads me to believe that he's doomed even if the Gators end up having a stellar bounceback campaign in 2014.

This looks eerily similar to Dooley in 2012. Even before devastating losses to Mississippi State, Alabama, and Vanderbilt, Dooley's recruiting results nosedived in 2012. There's more to running a football team than X's and O's, and it's imperative to maintain the confidence of not only the administration and boosters, but also potential recruits. By 2012, it started to look like recruits were writing off Dooley even before his disastrous 4-7 campaign.

Taking a look at Florida's recruiting in 2014 thus far, you can see similarities. Florida only has 9 recruits locked up thus far, and are currently ranked #31 by 247 Sports, #36 by Rivals, and #28 by Scout. 247's target list also doesn't look all that promising on the face of it. Florida is ranked below Kentucky, Mississippi State, and Arkansas in most of the rankings Florida also doesn't appear to be compensating for its weak quantity with higher quality, either, as we've seen in the past. This almost mirrors what we saw with Dooley in 2012.

Obviously, things can change between now and November, but back in mid-October 2012, I began to believe that Dooley was doomed even if he had a bounce-back campaign and finished the season 8-4 or 9-3. That didn't happen, of course, but Muschamp appears to be in a similar situation. Personally, I expect Florida to improve significantly this year (give him credit: Muschamp is a much better coach than Dooley), and I don't think we'll see a repeat of the 4-8 disaster, but if recruits have lost faith in Muschamp, I think he's doomed regardless.

This is particularly pertinent at Florida, where there's really no excuse for weak recruiting. With the sole exceptions of Texas and USC, there's no school with a better natural recruiting base than Florida.

Unless something dramatically changes in the next few months or Muschamp is able to pull out a 9-3 or 10-2 season, I think we might be staring at a lame duck coach down in Gainesville.

Reactions: 2 people
Even if he performs well enough to keep his job after this year, if he is smart he will take another job. As the Florida fans players recruits etc.. have already written him off. I just do not see him being able to live that 4-8 down.

You can hate on me if you want but if I were someone like Kansas, I would take Dooley as OC and Muschamp as DC and smile. Could be a wicked combo.

Way too early to think their class will be bad. They are in on a bunch of folks and are located in a talent rich state.

What's his record against us again.. They will have a good year n recruiting will be OK come Feb..

If he is so bad then why didn't butch beat him? If cbj couldn't best him last yr then when?

He is miles better than fools n I hate saying that

Reactions: 1 person
Both these guys are brilliant at what they do and just got in over their heads.

Wow man. I would never use brilliant in the same sentence as either one of these guys. Holy $hit! Muschamp was an OK DC, but not the caliber of Kirby Smart, or some others. Dooley has never been known for anything.... Except being a world class jerk to everyone he comes in contact with

Reactions: 5 people
Sorry, but Muschamp is 5xs the coach Dooley is. Muschamp at least won 11 games 2 years ago.......Dooley wouldn't get 11 wins with the 85' Bears playing in the OVC

Reactions: 9 people
Dooley is in a league of his own. I think volnation agrees with that. Muschamp? Could bounce back. Either way both suck.

Dooley and Muschamp, or as I like to call them... Dumb and dumber

That has to be reversed because 1) Dooley was 0-2 against Muschamp, and 2) as awful as 2013 was for UF, Muschamp still took them to the Sugar Bowl the year prior. You could've given Saban's Alabama roster to Dooley and he couldn't have done that.

Dooley is a well respected coach in a prominent team in the NFL last I checked. He brought in all kinds of talent, he just didn't keep them motivated. It was too much on his plate. Muschamp is a master of chaos and opportunity. I would take him over Kirby any day of the week.

Last thing I'll say about this is I see both of them as mad kooky scientists. Very misunderstood, and underutilized, but crazy like a fox.

Dooley is a well respected coach in a prominent team in the NFL last I checked. He brought in all kinds of talent, he just didn't keep them motivated. It was too much on his plate. Muschamp is a master of chaos and opportunity. I would take him over Kirby any day of the week.

Not sure if serious.

That has to be reversed because 1) Dooley was 0-2 against Muschamp, and 2) as awful as 2013 was for UF, Muschamp still took them to the Sugar Bowl the year prior. You could've given Saban's Alabama roster to Dooley and he couldn't have done that.

No doubt Muschamp is by far the better coach. But that's not saying much. I've been about as unimpressed with him as any coach I can remember being at Uf. His record there is deceiving. They've had an incredible amount of talent, and luck, these last few years and haven't done much with it. I believe this will be his last year

No doubt Muschamp is by far the better coach. But that's not saying much. I've been about as unimpressed with him as any coach I can remember being at Uf. His record there is deceiving. They've had an incredible amount of talent, and luck, these last few years and haven't done much with it. I believe this will be his last year

Muschamp's had season ending injuries to his starting and backup QBs two of the past three seasons.

UF had eleven season ending injuries last season, ten starters.

We had water boys tearing ACLs at practice.

Luck? :eek:lol:

Reactions: 1 person
Not sure if serious.

About Muschamp? totally. Playing Florida is like a spontaneous throw down with a mexican street boxer. There are NO rules. There is NO plan. The only game at play is "create chaos". That's it, there is no other plan to success. It's complete chaos, and not by any pre thought out design either. It's not like the guy goes into a game with any pre planed way of disrupting the game plan of his opponents. He's just playing by ear. Taking it as it comes. You can't plan ahead for that. You can't simulate that. That's why it's so hard to play florida, and why he is successful. I guess it can only take you so far though. Eventually you are going to have to have a record and connect with others...you're players, boosters, recruiting kids parents and ****e. He's no so good at that part of it.

About Muschamp? totally. Playing Florida is like a spontaneous throw down with a mexican street boxer. There are NO rules. There is NO plan. The only game at play is "create chaos". That's it, there is no other plan to success. It's complete chaos, and not by any pre thought out design either. It's not like the guy goes into a game with any pre planed way of disrupting the game plan of his opponents. He's just playing by ear. Taking it as it comes. You can't plan ahead for that. You can't simulate that. That's why it's so hard to play florida, and why he is successful. I guess it can only take you so far though. Eventually you are going to have to have a record and connect with others...you're players, boosters, recruiting kids parents and ****e. He's no so good at that part of it.

Bless your heart.

Muschamp's had season ending injuries to his starting and backup QBs two of the past three seasons.

UF had eleven season ending injuries last season, ten starters.

We had water boys tearing ACLs at practice.

Luck? :eek:lol:

T's defense ended a few seasons early. Yet they get criticized at every turn. It came down to depth. You can't keep the same guys on the field the entire game no matter how good they are. You are going to have to rotate or you are going to lose the game. You will simply wear down over the course of the game. That's why oregon has been good. They don't have the best recruiting classes but they have so many players no duck brakes a sweat. They stay constantly fresh as a baby. T's defense simply got tired and I don't blame them, but they gave it their all and ended a few seasons early.

Dooley proved he cant run a program from the top. Muschamp has proven he can coach one side of the ball pretty well but outside of one year he has yet to show he can run an entire program either.

Neither recruited (or has recruited so far) well enough to sustain championship talent.

Muschamps future rides on the new OC. The last 2 times UTs HC was in that situation (1 OC, 1 DC) it resulted in a change at the top.

JMO but UF is looking for a coach for 2015. Chances are they land a major upgrade.

VN Store

Back