Greed is choking out fans everywhere.

Yep. If you run a survey looking for results, why totally ignore those results. As CFB has become more of a money game, it really hasn't done anything to enhance or secure the fans enjoyment. Keep selling your soul for TV rights and soon a stadium will only have to have a 10-20,000 seat capacity. They don't get that a lot of the enjoyment is being in the atmosphere. So, constantly raising seat prices and food prices is keeping fans away. And, for the teams that haven't put a good product on the field in years, who will continue to pay to see that at the stadium? I think many programs have turned their backs on the fans.

Yep. If you run a survey looking for results, why totally ignore those results. As CFB has become more of a money game, it really hasn't done anything to enhance or secure the fans enjoyment. Keep selling your soul for TV rights and soon a stadium will only have to have a 10-20,000 seat capacity. They don't get that a lot of the enjoyment is being in the atmosphere. So, constantly raising seat prices and food prices is keeping fans away. And, for the teams that haven't put a good product on the field in years, who will continue to pay to see that at the stadium? I think many programs have turned their backs on the fans.

The commercials blaring through the speakers are awful. Used to be able to talk to the people sitting next to you during TV timeouts - not any more.

The videos (check the stats, b-ball promos, etc) are more annoying than enjoyable. The volume is always too loud

Reactions: 1 person
The commercials blaring through the speakers are awful. Used to be able to talk to the people sitting next to you during TV timeouts - not any more.

The videos (check the stats, b-ball promos, etc) are more annoying than enjoyable. The volume is always too loud

Appears that UT might want to do a survey and ignore it, too. I agree, though. I always tune out commercials whatever the venue but they are an annoyance to no end.

It is amazing that AD's understand that the HD TV is their biggest competitor yet don't make actually going to the game more fan friendly (on all fronts).

I like the piece. Here's one part where I think Michigan's AD was spot on:

After the 2013 Notre Dame game, Brandon said, "You're a 17-18 year old kid watching the largest crowd in the history of college football with airplanes flying over and Beyonce introducing your halftime show? That's a pretty powerful message about what Michigan is all about, and that's our job to send that message."

The reason they (and Tennessee) do these types of things is for recruiting, which I think we can all agree is the biggest key to success in college football. While I, like many other fans, don't particularly enjoy some of the "less traditional" elements being brought into the gameday experience (pumped in music, etc.) I do think there is a balance that can be struck between what we think of as a Tennessee football game and an "NFL-esque" experience that resonates with recruits.

This is not my job (unfortunately, although if UT is hiring...) so I don't have a lot of concrete suggestions, but the theme I'd like to see them stick to is one of updating our traditions rather than creating new ones. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to make the old stuff cool.

Michigan football averaged 111,592 fans in the Big House last year. That's more than a sellout every time. They led all of NCAA in attendance figures. Yea, they're struggling to attract fans.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 4 people
Unfortunately, the article is preaching to the choir. It's the ADs and NCAA who don't get it.

Well not everyone will have the SEC N --- if those drones that run Comcast, Direct, and others with no deal, dont get it done by the opener -- they can add that to the list

Michigan football averaged 111,592 fans in the Big House last year. That's more than a sellout every time. They led all of NCAA in attendance figures. Yea, they're struggling to attract fans.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Just shows how legitimate those attendance figures are.

I know we're supposed to be annoyed at the increase in prices, but everything else is going up in cost too. If AD's kept the same prices from back in your glory days, they wouldn't be able to afford the growing cost of running the athletic department.

I know we're supposed to be annoyed at the increase in prices, but everything else is going up in cost too. If AD's kept the same prices from back in your glory days, they wouldn't be able to afford the growing cost of running the athletic department.

Prices for everything across the board have obviously increased, but I don't think most things have seen the 100%+ increase in price that tickets to sporting events have.

Prices for everything across the board have obviously increased, but I don't think most things have seen the 100%+ increase in price that tickets to sporting events have.

No but to cover 5 things that rose 20%... You'd have to raise your money maker 100%

No but to cover 5 things that rose 20%... You'd have to raise your money maker 100%

You also have to consider the astronomical jump the amount of money they receive from the TV contracts has made over the past few years. In other words, I don't buy that they have to charge almost $100 per ticket to be breaking even in what is supposed to be a non-profit endeavor.

As soon as non revenue producing sports start to support themselves, then youre right

Title IX says hi

I wonder, if the major conferences do end up breaking away from the NCAA what could that possibly mean for Title 9? Would universities end up abolishing it?

VN Store

Back