Mike Bianchi: SEC should dump Ole Miss and Mississippi State, add UCF and USF

Lawrence Wright

Troll Brother #1
Florida's version of Clay Travis has the whole entire state of Mississippi riled up....well, not the entire state, just those in Mississippi with internet access.

I'm not linking the article, because I refuse to drive traffic to the Orlando Sentinel.

Stupid premise, no basis for his argument other than UCF winning a BCS bowl game. The SEC gains nothing from adding two media markets (Orlando and Tampa) already covered by one of its charter members.

Besides, Ole Miss should be granted lifetime SEC status for their coeds alone.

Reactions: 10 people
Of the four schools he mentions, Bianchi wound up batting 25%.

Mississippi State brings absolutely nothing to the SEC. They are far and away the least popular school in the smallest media market in the league. They get fat off the SEC's largesse without adding anything to the pie.

But he's wrong about kicking Ole Miss out and adding either of the Florida schools.

Reactions: 4 people
Of the four schools he mentions, Bianchi wound up batting 25%.

Mississippi State brings absolutely nothing to the SEC. They are far and away the least popular school in the smallest media market in the league. They get fat off the SEC's largesse without adding anything to the pie.

But he's wrong about kicking Ole Miss out and adding either of the Florida schools.

Every conference has its Fredo Corleone.

We have Billy Costigan and Mississippi State.

Reactions: 9 people
At least it's a shake up from the annual "We need to dump Vandy" talk.

I agree mostly about Miss. St., they really don't bring anything. But adding those 2 doesn't add anything either, so his article is mostly stupid.

Reactions: 2 people
That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard recently. I love my job at USF but we suck in men's athletics. What other school finished dead last in both football and basketball in their conference? We'll get better but it will be a long time to get to respectability in the AAC. And the difference between the AAC and the SEC in football is about the same as the difference in Class 1 and Class 6 in Tenn high school football.

Reactions: 2 people
If it meant that I get to see UT play USF in person every other year I'm all for it.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard recently. I love my job at USF but we suck in men's athletics. What other school finished dead last in both football and basketball in their conference? We'll get better but it will be a long time to get to respectability in the AAC. And the difference between the AAC and the SEC in football is about the same as the difference in Class 1 and Class 6 in Tenn high school football.

TCU and WVU agree with this post. :good!:

Edit: forgot Utah.

Florida's version of Clay Travis has the whole entire state of Mississippi riled up....well, not the entire state, just those in Mississippi with internet access.

I'm not linking the article, because I refuse to drive traffic to the Orlando Sentinel.

Stupid premise, no basis for his argument other than UCF winning a BCS bowl game. The SEC gains nothing from adding two media markets (Orlando and Tampa) already covered by one of its charter members.

Besides, Ole Miss should be granted lifetime SEC status for their coeds alone.

Bianchi is worse than Travis IMO.

I really do not understand how Bianchi still has a job. He is universally regarded by everyone --literally every single person on the planet, living or dead -- as a complete idiot.

Reactions: 1 person
The SEC, undoubtedly the premier conference in NCAA football, should drop two teams who have played fb for 77 years for two that have played for 18 (UCF) and 13 (USF). Yes, he is an idiot.

But, like Clay Travis, it got you and others to talk about his article. So he wins.

I always forget that Mississippi State is part of the Sec, so I wouldn't mind if they were replaced. But Ole Miss belongs as much as anyone. What a dumb article.

I find the timing of the article...amusing. After the SEC's decision for schools to schedule a team from the other major conferences, there have been several write ups that have shown how much these two of dodged that/padded their schedules.

Like this one:

When it comes to desserts, who doesn’t enjoy a good cupcake or creampuff? Why, they’re delicious confections.

But would you pay between $50 and $100 for one? Of course not. That’s why it’s unfortunate that most SEC schools ask their fans to cough up exactly that kind of cash just to see their favorite team gobble some cupcake opponent.

Below are the non-conference opponents for each SEC program between 2008 and 2014. Those teams who will be in a Power Five conference this fall are broken out separately. So are those schools who will still exist at the FCS level in 2014. The view isn’t pretty.

Granted, there are plenty of schools outside the SEC who schedule just as poorly as the folks in Mike Slive’s league. But this site focuses on the Southeastern Conference. If you take offense or feel the urge to shout, “What about Ohio State?” know that you’re missing the point. We’re not saying SEC schools pad their schedules more than outside schools. We’re saying that SEC fans deserve better than the junk food they’re so often being sold.

No wonder attendance remains a big concern for presidents and athletic directors across the conference.

Alabama — 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five — 8: Clemson, Duke, Michigan, Penn State (2), Virginia Tech (2), West Virginia

FCS — 4: Chattanooga (2), Western Carolina (2)

Others — 16: Arkansas State, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic (2), Florida International, Georgia Southern, Georgia State (2), Kent State, North Texas (2), San Jose State, Southern Miss, Tulane, Western Kentucky (2)

Percentage of Power Five Foes — 28.5%

Arkansas — 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five — 7: Rutgers (2), Texas, Texas A&M* (3), Texas Tech

FCS — 7: Jacksonville State, Missouri State (2), Nicholls State, Samford, Tennessee Tech, Western Illinois

Others — 14: Eastern Michigan, New Mexico, Northern Illinois, Southern Miss, Troy (2), Tulsa (2), UAB, UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe (3), UTEP

Percentage of Power Five Foes — 25.0%

* Texas A&M was a non-conference foe while A&M was based in the Big 12

Auburn – 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five – 7: Clemson (3), Kansas State, Washington State, West Virginia (2)

FCS – 7: Alabama A&M, Chattanooga, Furman, Samford (2), Western Carolina, UT-Martin

Others – 14: Arkansas State (2), Ball State, Florida Atlantic (2), Louisiana Tech (2), New Mexico State, San Jose State, Southern Miss, UL-Monroe (3), Utah State

Percentage of Power Five Foes — 25.0%

Florida – 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five – 9: Florida State (7), Miami-FL (2)

FCS – 5: Charleston Southern, Eastern Kentucky, Furman, Jacksonville State, The Citadel

Others — 14: Appalachian State, Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Georgia Southern, Hawaii, Idaho, Miami-OH, South Florida, Toledo, Troy, UAB, UL-Lafayette

Percentage of Power Five Foes — 32.1%

Georgia – 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five – 13: Arizona State (2), Clemson (2), Colorado, Georgia Tech (7), Oklahoma State

FCS — 4: Charleston Southern, Coastal Carolina, Idaho State, Tennessee Tech

Others – 11: Appalachian State, Boise State, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Florida Atlantic, Georgia Southern (2), New Mexico State, North Texas, Troy, UL-Lafayette

Percentage of Power Five Foes — 46.4%

Kentucky – 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five – 7: Louisville (7)

FCS – 7: Alabama State, Charleston Southern, Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville State, Norfolk State, Samford, UT-Martin

Others — 14: Akron, Central Michigan, Kent State, Miami-OH (2), MTSU, Ohio, UL-Monroe (2), Western Kentucky (5)

Percentage of Power Five Foes – 25.0%

LSU – 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five — 8: North Carolina, Oregon, TCU, Washington (2), West Virginia (2), Wisconsin

FCS — 5: Furman, McNeese State, Northwestern State, Sam Houston State, Towson

Others — 15: Appalachian State, Idaho, Kent State, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, North Texas (2), Troy, Tulane (2), UAB, UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe (2), Western Kentucky

Percentage of Power Five Foes — 28.5%

Mississippi State – 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five – 3: Georgia Tech (2), Oklahoma State

FCS – 7: Alcorn State (2), Jackson State (2), Southeastern Louisiana, UT-Martin (2)

Others — 18: Bowling Green, Houston (2), Louisiana Tech (2), Memphis (2), MTSU (3), South Alabama (2), Southern Miss, Troy (2), UAB (3)

Percentage of Power Five Foes — 10.7%

Missouri – 27 non-conference opponents (fewer non-con games due to seasons spent in Big 12)

Power Five — 8: Arizona State (2), Illinois (3), Indiana (2), Syracuse

FCS — 7: Furman, McNeese State, Murray State, South Dakota State, Southeastern Louisiana, Southeast Missouri State, Western Illinois

Others – 12: Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Miami-OH (2), Nevada (2), San Diego State, Toledo (2), UCF (2)

Percentage of Power Five Foes — 29.6%

Ole Miss – 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five — 3: Texas (2), Wake Forest

FCS – 8: Central Arkansas, Jacksonville State, Northern Arizona, Presbyterian, Samford, Southeastern Louisiana, Southeast Missouri State, Southern Illinois

Others — 17: Boise State, BYU, Fresno State (2), Idaho, Louisiana Tech, Memphis (3), Troy, Tulane (2), UAB, UL-Lafayette (2), UL-Monroe, UTEP

Percentage of Power Five Foes – 10.7%

South Carolina – 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five – 10: Clemson (7), North Carolina, North Carolina State (2)

FCS — 7: Coastal Carolina, Furman (2), South Carolina State, The Citadel, Wofford (2)

Others — 11: East Carolina (3), Florida Atlantic, Navy, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Troy, UAB (2), UCF

Percentage of Power Five Foes — 35.7%

Tennessee – 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five — 6: North Carolina State, Oklahoma, Oregon (2), UCLA (2)

FCS – 4: Austin Peay, Chattanooga, Montana, UT-Martin

Others — 18: Akron, Arkansas State, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Georgia State, Ohio, Memphis (2), MTSU, Northern Illinois, South Alabama, Troy, UAB (2), Utah State, Western Kentucky (2), Wyoming

Percentage of Power Five Foes – 21.4%

Texas A&M – 27 non-conference opponents (fewer non-con games due to seasons spent in Big 12)

Power Five – 4: Arkansas* (3), Miami-FL

FCS — 5: Lamar, Sam Houston State (2), South Carolina State, Stephen F. Austin

Others — 18: Arkansas State, Army, FIU, Idaho, Louisiana Tech (2), New Mexico (2), UAB, UL-Monroe, Utah State, Rice (2), SMU (4), UTEP

Percentage of Power Five Foes — 14.8%

* Arkansas was a non-conference foe while A&M was based in the Big 12

Vanderbilt – 28 non-conference opponents

Power Five – 9: Duke, Georgia Tech, Northwestern (2), Wake Forest (5)

FCS – 5: Austin Peay, Charleston Southern, Elon, Presbyterian, Western Carolina

Others — 14: Army (2), Eastern Michigan, Miami-OH, Old Dominion, Rice (2), Temple, UAB, UConn (2), UMass (3)

Percentage of Power Five Foes — 32.1%

Since 2008, SEC Non-Conference Games Have Left Much To Be Desired - MrSEC.com | SEC Football News | SEC Basketball News | SEC Football Recruiting | SEC Basketball Recruiting

By looking at this one could conclude UT is near the bottom. However, UT doesn't have a built in Big 5 rival live UF and S. Carolina.

By looking at this one could conclude UT is near the bottom. However, UT doesn't have a built in Big 5 rival live UF and S. Carolina.

True, but I posted it more to highlight the drastic drop between the Miss. schools and everyone else.

It's one thing to be near where we are in a field 7 other teams all hovering in the 20% range.

It's another to be anotherl 10% below that. (each playing only 3 major conference schools in 6 years...and I'm not sure if Miss St would still have played Ok St if it hadn't been a kickoff classic / Dallas hadn't set it up)

Back to the topic at hand though:

Over the weekend, Orlando Sentinel columnist Mike Bianchi opined that while the SEC (and the other Power Five conferences) are looking to separate themselves from the less monied little guys of the FBS, Mike Slive’s league should give the boot to charter members Ole Miss and Mississippi State. In his view, South Florida and Central Florida would bring more to the table moving forward:

“My thoughts: If the Power 5 leagues truly want to break off into their own division then they first need to jettison the dead weight and add more deserving schools like UCF before setting sail for the brave new world of college football.

Example: The SEC should dump Ole Miss and Mississippi State and invite in UCF and USF to take their place. It’s crazy that the Mississippi schools get to be part of the most powerful league in college football in a day and age when the sport is all about cable television subscribers, recruiting base and growth potential.

Why wouldn’t the SEC or Big 12 want to dominate the I-4 corridor that runs through the center of one of the most populated, recruiting-rich states in the country? Combined, the Tampa and Orlando TV markets are the fourth-largest in the country whereas the TV markets of Oxford and Starkville don’t even show up on the list. Mississippi’s largest city – Jackson – is nation’s 94th-largest market.

With apologies to Jeff Foxworthy: How can you tell if a Mississippi State fan is on vacation in Orlando? He’s the one trying to take his fishing pole into Sea World!

Let’s face it, the only reason Ole Miss and Mississippi State are part of SEC today is that they happened to be at the right place at the right time 100 years ago when the conference was formed while UCF and USF weren’t.”

Uh, yeah. That’s not going to happen.

Writing that USF and UCF belong in the SEC might have helped sell a few more Orlando Sentinels around Orlando (UCF) and Tampa (USF), but it’s not a serious topic. I don’t want to say Bianchi — who’s been writing controversial columns for years — was trolling, but the line about an MSU fan taking a fishing pole to Sea World? Well, yeah, that’s trolling. That’s pleading: “Post me on an MSU messageboard and let the clicks come roaring in!”

The SEC’s charter would allow for a school to be banished involuntarily, but it’s never happened in the league’s 81-year existence. Sewanee, Tulane and Georgia Tech left on their own, but no one has ever been given the heave-ho. Doing so would require “at least two-thirds of the members” to vote in favor of expulsion.

Still, we’ve seen these types of summertime stories before, of course. Bianchi isn’t the first to call for some SEC schools to be evicted from the premises. In June of 2010, controversial radio host — and now the face of all things SEC Network — Paul Finebaum wrote that Arkansas and South Carolina had been a drag on the SEC ever since their arrivals:

“Since 1992, when the league expansion went into effect, has either Arkansas or South Carolina really brought anything to the dance? Instead of expanding by two or four, some have wondered if a better way of handling this would be addition by subtraction – starting with sending Arkansas and South Carolina back where they came from…

As for Arkansas and South Carolina, have they brought anything to the table? Not much, unless you considering taking up space a major accomplishment.”

Finebaum detailed both schools’ lack of consistent football prowess as a main reason for his “kick ‘em out” treatise. But within just seven months of that column’s publication, Arkansas had gone 10-3, reached the Sugar Bowl (losing to an Ohio State team that should have had half its players suspended) and finished #12 in the nation. South Carolina had finished 9-5, won the East Division and finished #22 in the nation. Arkansas would still be winning today if Bobby Petrino hadn’t blown himself up like a cartoon coyote. And Steve Spurrier has led the Gamecocks to 11 wins in each of the last three years.

So there’s that.

(Sidenote: Here’s betting Arkansas and Carolina fans are among those who are plum thrilled — sarcasm — that Finebaum and his regular radio callers will be featured all week, every week on the league’s new channel. And if that’s not enough, he’ll also be a part of the network’s two-hour, live, on-campus pregame show. All Finebaum, all the time.)

Now, Finebaum and Bianchi are smart fellas. They are outstanding — no sarcasm — at what they do. They write (Bianchi) and say (Finebaum) things that move the needle. For that matter, we’re a bit surprised Bianchi hasn’t been snatched up by the SEC Network along with Finebaum.

But when it comes to the paper-selling, click-producing “Toss ‘em out of the SEC” columns those two have put forth, they are two parts poppycock, one part balderdash, with a spritz of hokum. And that’s a cocktail you need not drink. Or even worry about.

Ever.

Dump Or Trade SEC Schools? Won't Happen - MrSEC.com | SEC Football News | SEC Basketball News | SEC Football Recruiting | SEC Basketball Recruiting

True, but I posted it more to highlight the drastic drop between the Miss. schools and everyone else.

It's one thing to be near where we are in a field 7 other teams all hovering in the 20% range.

It's another to be anotherl 10% below that. (each playing only 3 major conference schools in 6 years...and I'm not sure if Miss St would still have played Ok St if it hadn't been a kickoff classic / Dallas hadn't set it up)

I agree, but just looking at the % it looks like S. Carolina, UGA, Vandy, and UF are doing the heavy lifting. We all know that's not the case.

UF playing FSU every year gets lost in the shuffle because it happens EVERY year. USC/Clemson & UGA/GT the same.

VN Store

Back