Calipari extended through 2021

McCat

Rent free in your head
Details still coming out but estimated between 6.5 and 8 million per year.

Reactions: 3 people
Details still coming out but estimated between 6.5 and 8 million per year.

Holy ****.

For reference, Doc Rivers makes 7 million, and Gregg Popovich makes 6. Thats probably the two best coaches in the NBA. Unreal what they are paying Cal. He has had incredible recruiting classes every single year and only has one title to show for. They are paying him more than guys with multiple NBA titles to their name. What a bunch of idiots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Crazy money, but I think that paying NBA money is the point...keeps Cal content as long as he wants to be here.

Holy ****.

For reference, Doc Rivers makes 7 million, and Gregg Popovich makes 6. Thats probably the two best coaches in the NBA. Unreal what they are paying Cal. He has had incredible recruiting classes every single year and only has one title to show for. They are paying him more than guys with multiple NBA titles to their name. What a bunch of idiots.

Crazy money, but I think that paying NBA money is the point...keeps Cal content as long as he wants to be here.

Its not just NBA money though. Hes being paid more than any current NBA coach. I just don't see it. He has proven he can recruit the daylights out...but can he really coach them up? Sorry but I just don't see it.

Its not just NBA money though. Hes being paid more than any current NBA coach. I just don't see it. He has proven he can recruit the daylights out...but can he really coach them up? Sorry but I just don't see it.

Cal is a good coach. The "recruiter who can't coach" label is way more aptly applied to Roy Williams, but most people just repeat what they hear.

Reactions: 2 people
Holy ****.

Rivers makes more than Pop? That's absolute insanity. Doc is nowhere in the same stratosphere as Pop. Also Cal is not in the same universes as Doc or Pop. I agree with you, this is idiotic.

Based more on UK wanting to retain Cal than paying him for actual results. No bonuses in the contract either. NBA teams will always have Cal's name in the back of their head (certainly not a top option, but a fallback). Cal is the type of guy who will always leave if the job is better. No doubt in my mind he would really want to leave if he had the chance to coach a potential great nba team (He really wanted to coach Lebron). UK knows this and even though it might be the best college job they want to really lock him in financially.

Paying a basketball coach more than any of the SEC football coaches make?

There's an economic disconnect.

Paying a basketball coach more than any of the SEC football coaches make?

There's an economic disconnect.

Not just that, more than any NBA coach or college basketball coach. Thats more than coach K makes. Coach K has won 4 titles, has the second most all time final four appearances, oh and he also has the most career wins of all time. Cal gets the best players in the world and struggles to beat anyone good.

Looks like a response to Saban's new deal to me.
UK believes their basketball job is the best job in sports, so they want their coach to be making the top salary.

When Gillispie replaced Tubby, his salary, IMO, had a lot more to do with the job than him. They paid him Donovan-money (at the time) to maintain prestige, as if prestige is based on the coach's salary.

Holy ****.

Wait...what? Call has 3 final four appearances in the past four years, two national championship appearances, and one title. The decision to do anything it takes to keep Cal is an easy decision for UK.

Reactions: 2 people
Wait...what? Call has 3 final four appearances in the past four years, two national championship appearances, and one title. The decision to do anything it takes to keep Cal is an easy decision for UK.

The problem is hes has more talent than any team hands down the past 4 years and has 1 title to show for it.

Reactions: 3 people
The problem is hes has more talent than any team hands down the past 4 years and has 1 title to show for it.

Are you saying that's underachieving for what he has? We've been to 3 final fours in the last 4 years. I'll take that. Maybe if we bombed out like Duke did two years in a row (albeit flukes for coach k) I'd agree with you. But Cal seems to do well once he's in the tourney.

Are you saying that's underachieving for what he has? We've been to 3 final fours in the last 4 years. I'll take that. Maybe if we bombed out like Duke did two years in a row (albeit flukes for coach k) I'd agree with you. But Cal seems to do well once he's in the tourney.

UConn had 1 maybe 2 nba players on their roster. UK has NBA players at every position and couldn't beat them. What does that come down to? Coaching

Calipari runs an NBA bootcamp - those players he recruits have no intention of getting a degree ---

UConn had 1 maybe 2 nba players on their roster. UK has NBA players at every position and couldn't beat them. What does that come down to? Coaching

UCONN had more experience too. Something that UK obvisiously lacks every year under Calapari.

Thats more than coach K makes. Coach K has won 4 titles, has the second most all time final four appearances, oh and he also has the most career wins of all time.

I don't think it's more than Coach K makes.

Coach K tops list of highest-paid college basketball coaches | MyFOX8.com - News, Weather, Sports and more from WGHP Fox 8 Television

But, regardless, since 2009 (when Cal got to UK) he's done much more in the tourney than Coach K has. I'm a Duke fan, but I can't pretend like that isn't true.

It came down to matchups, not coaching. Harrisons couldn't lockdown their mosquito-quick guards.

Calipari runs an NBA bootcamp - those players he recruits have no intention of getting a degree ---

Several have come back during the summer to keep working on their degree. Jodie Meeks just finished his.

UCONN had more experience too. Something that UK obvisiously lacks every year under Calapari.

obviously, Calipari.

Hard to argue last year. The title team had good senior leadership. Experience will not be an issue this upcoming season.

It came down to matchups, not coaching. Harrisons couldn't lockdown their mosquito-quick guards.

Several have come back during the summer to keep working on their degree. Jodie Meeks just finished his.

obviously, Calipari.

Hard to argue last year. The title team had good senior leadership. Experience will not be an issue this upcoming season.

Wasnt Meeks a Billy Clyde recruit ?

Kevin Ollie got lucky and had a very mediocre team that matched up well against UK. They we're very experienced and wasn't their first time in the final four (at least for Napier). Wouldn't be surprised if Ollie never gets to the sweet 16 again at UConn.

Some of them probably don't intend to get degrees, so I agree with you in that regard. But there have been players like Knight and Poythress who have come in with the reputation of being good students. I've had players in classes over at UK, classes that aren't just bs ones. Not sure about every player, but they certainly are taking real classes. How can you blame a player for jumping to the nba (when they are locks for it) and not getting their degree before they do so?

Wasnt Meeks a Billy Clyde recruit ?

Didn't he commit way back in 2005? Would have been Tubby iirc. Either way, nba players come back and take classes, something that isn't talked about much.

VN Store

Back