Forde: Black coaches fleeing the SEC

The SEC sure does have a ton of black mens bball coaches...............but lets spin the situation to add shock value

Reactions: 5 people
This is the most Jason Whitlock article of all time. Completely ignoring the situation at hand (every coach mentioned made a lateral move because they were close to being fired for underperforming) and trying to add viewers by playing the race card

Reactions: 13 people
This is the most Jason Whitlock article of all time. Completely ignoring the situation at hand (every coach mentioned made a lateral move because they were close to being fired for underperforming) and trying to add viewers by playing the race card

Pretty much. Didn't think of that, but had I not known who wrote it, he would have been my first guess.

Low move by Forde, must be desperate for page views

Reactions: 3 people
In every case, the coaches who left were under pressure from the fan base for underperforming.

Just so happened each of the coaches were African-American....so in the interest of sensationalism let's focus on race instead of the underperforming aspect.

Reactions: 4 people
Did he mention Martin, Grant, and Barbee made the tournament twice in 12 years combined!

The SEC sure does have a ton of black mens bball coaches...............but lets spin the situation to add shock value

I was livid when I got to that point. Oh the SEC is still leading the way as compared to their counterparts to the north, east, and west. But damnit those racists.

Yet here we are wishing we could land Shaka Smart. Because were racists.

I suppose when Grant misses the tournament again next year it will be racism that gets him fired. Naturally because it's Alabama

Yet here we are wishing we could land Shaka Smart. Because were racists.

I suppose when Grant misses the tournament again next year it will be racism that gets him fired. Naturally because it's Alabama

The term racist is usually used as a crutch term nowadays.

These people have never seen true racism. Just because you don't get a position or keep a position, its not always about the color of your skin. Your character, work habits, work ability is usually what is lacking. A person should not be hired and retained because of their color or gender.

A person must strive to be the best and when they do, people take notice.

Reactions: 2 people
Cheap shot at Whitlock, IMO. Yeah, he says somethings that are racially provocative against white culture. But he's also one of the few black columnists that's willing to mention how the use of "Nigga" and the culture surrounding it - I'm sorry, using the "n word" is a cop out when you're quoting - plays a huge part in holding black culture back.

Additionally, he had no qualms on bashing Rev. Al and all the racebaiters who stood up for the "Jena 6" thugs.

Not to mention, I like the fact that he's very much about promoting the legacy of the late, great Ralph Wiley, who had a strong connection to Knoxville.

Reactions: 1 person
another reason why my feelings don't get hurt with people like Forde out there misrepresenting reality. Why care what I guy like him and a reader in Vermont thinks. It has no affect on me or anyone else. Just an uninformed opinion. One of many.

I'm no fan of Forde, but this article seemed more of a straight-forward description of the events than anything else. Sure, Forde wonders if there is anything else, and, more importantly, if these moves will simply give the impression that there is something else to them.

I'm no fan of Forde, but this article seemed more of a straight-forward description of the events than anything else. Sure, Forde wonders if there is anything else, and, more importantly, if these moves will simply give the impression that there is something else to them.

Disagree. Fordes intro -
Frank Haith's reported departure from Missouri for T-T-T-ulsa(?) on Thursday is even more bizarre than Cuonzo Martin's departure from Tennessee for California on Tuesday.

In fact, it would be difficult to believe if it didn't perpetuate a trend that should deeply concern Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive. African-American coaches keep leaving his league for lesser jobs.
is a bit mis-leading. What trend is being perpetuated? Coaches come and go for a variety of reasons, call me naive, but I happen to believe that the color of their skin has nothing to do with it. Forde is slyly implying that it does. And his article worked. It has us discussing the "race" issue which in reality is not an issue.

Disagree. Fordes intro - is a bit mis-leading. What trend is being perpetuated? Coaches come and go for a variety of reasons, call me naive, but I happen to believe that the color of their skin has nothing to do with it. Forde is slyly implying that it does. And his article worked. It has us discussing the "race" issue which in reality is not an issue.

There is a trend that African-American coaches are leaving the SEC for equal or lesser gigs. Two more doing so is perpetuating the trend.

Slive has explicitly stated that he wants the SEC to have more AA coaches. So, the trend the lateral and downward moves, is probably concerning to Slive. This is all still descriptive. The only evaluative statement Forde seems to make is the following:

The fact that all of them are black could be a Southeastern coincidence more than a reflection on the Southeastern Conference. But it also raises questions – and could create a perception – about the work environment for a black coach in the South.

The questions were being asked, whether Forde was asking them or not. And, it could create the perception.

Forde then goes on to, in my opinion, give reasons as to why it was good for Haith and Martin to bounce now, since the near-term prospects looked pretty bad (lack of talent on 2014-2015 squads). I don't think Forde was implying that they felt forced out due to race, at least not with Haith. He paints Haith as nearly incompetent and dirty.

i can't stand these types of articles. if a coach is good, he stays. if not, he leaves one way or another. i don't think race plays an issue

Funny how he's not praising Tennessee for hiring Martin in the first place and the positive influence Wade Houston had on our program. Joke!

It appears that Mr. Forde thinks that the only qualification that you should have to coach college basketball is that you are an African-American and competence has no place in coaching. He totally ignores what condition Martin left the UT program with his average recruiting.

He also finds it suspicious that African-American coaches in the SEC are downgrading their careers. I would like for him to investigate what portion of the the entire working class have had to downgrade their employment in the last several years. I am sure that statistically this is not unique to African-American basketball coaches. But I am sure that Mr. Forde would not be interested in such relevant facts.

VN Store

Back