The Life of An SEC Bagman (great article)

"Well, that's totally shocking," says no one that pays even the slightest bit of attention to college football and is capable of being honest with himself.

Just got done reading this one. It's what everyone knows to be happening, but convinces themselves it's the exception. Well written article.

Same thing is happening at UT, friend.

Does that mean your bagmen have more money than our bagmen?

I don't doubt there's some sketchiness going on at UT. But I think the truth once again is somewhere in the middle. I'm not sure we can point to a single recruit in the 2014 class and say it looks like some cheating went down. Hendrix is the only really highly ranked guy kind of came out of nowhere, but even he has ties to the school.

Bryce Brown, Janzen Jackson, Da'Rick, and CP are questionable as well, but that was under previous regimes. Maybe Marquez North last year. Not sure about anyone recently though.

Really good read, thanks for posting!

No problem. Saw it on twitter this morning and thought people would be interested to read it. I think Finebaum interviewed the reporter on his show today, but I missed it.

Does that mean your bagmen have more money than our bagmen?

I don't doubt there's some sketchiness going on at UT. But I think the truth once again is somewhere in the middle. I'm not sure we can point to a single recruit in the 2014 class and say it looks like some cheating went down. Hendrix is the only really highly ranked guy kind of came out of nowhere, but even he has ties to the school.

Bryce Brown, Janzen Jackson, Da'Rick, and CP are questionable as well, but that was under previous regimes. Maybe Marquez North last year. Not sure about anyone recently though.

Green handshakes happen at every school, even UT.

Reactions: 1 person
If you think that all schools are doing it as I would suspect. Then the field is fairly even and the kids still choose the school based on the program and their priorities.

It looks like the bagmen are just trying to impress themselves.
The kids are just reaping the benefits.

Same thing is happening at UT, friend.

In the words of Jack Palance--PROVE IT!

And, Bama is the ONLY program in the SEC to have been convicted in the COURT ROOM of doing this......

Of course, Eric Ramsey says Hey!
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/25/sports/ncaafootball/25rhoden.html?_r=0

ALL of you Bammites always begin to POINT your fingers when someone even barely insinuates the CONTINUAL cheating at your program.

Just where is your evidence for this stuff happening at UT? I'm not attempting to be naive, nor am I saying that it really doesn't happen--but just pointing your finger at us and saying "you do it, too" just doesn't get it done.
:salute:

Reactions: 2 people
In the words of Jack Palance--PROVE IT!

And, Bama is the ONLY program in the SEC to have been convicted in the COURT ROOM of doing this......

Of course, Eric Ramsey says Hey!
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/25/sports/ncaafootball/25rhoden.html?_r=0

ALL of you Bammites always begin to POINT your fingers when someone even barely insinuates the CONTINUAL cheating at your program.

Just where is your evidence for this stuff happening at UT? I'm not attempting to be naive, nor am I saying that it really doesn't happen--but just pointing your finger at us and saying "you do it, too" just doesn't get it done.
:salute:

You do realize that Eric Ramsey was an Auburn player, right? Why am I asking? If you realized that you wouldn't have linked to it.

Keep on believing that UT is clean. Willfull blindness is not a virtue.

Reactions: 2 people
You do realize that Eric Ramsey was an Auburn player, right? Why am I asking? If you realized that you wouldn't have linked to it.

Keep on believing that UT is clean. Willfull blindness is not a virtue.

There's a spectrum of corruption. You guys are probably a lot farther along that scale then we are. You won two of your titles on probation, that's all everyone needs to know. Everyone does cheat, but how much is the question.

Reactions: 1 person
There's a spectrum of corruption. You guys are probably a lot farther along that scale then we are. You won two of your titles on probation, that's all everyone needs to know. Everyone does cheat, but how much is the question.

Well, as long as everyone is cheating, I'm glad that the results are what they are.

Well, as long as everyone is cheating, I'm glad that the results are what they are.

You should be. What I wonder is how much do they cheat in the Mid conferences since there is so much incentive to. Millions vs. 400k a year. Big difference in salaries.

Willing to lay down a couple bucks on the lame-duck coach mentioned being Dooley, because of course. Well, either Dooley or Chizik

"No secret lair, although a couple guys have some pretty ridiculous-looking hunting camps. I mean, we're shooting the s*** about college football players. That in and of itself isn't a crime. Sometimes we go to the Waffle House."

:lol:

Article summary: Troubled rich men look for some way to address a sense of emptiness and boredom by plying minors with cash and benefits in hopes that they can in some way influence the long term outcome of events that generally have no large scale societal importance. It happens everywhere.

I feel worse for the money men than I do the kids.

Best assessment yet!
:good!:
Article summary: Troubled rich men look for some way to address a sense of emptiness and boredom by plying minors with cash and benefits in hopes that they can in some way influence the long term outcome of events that generally have no large scale societal importance. It happens everywhere.

I feel worse for the money men than I do the kids.

It's also how lame duck coaching staffs are created. If a majority of bag men want a particular coach out and an A.D. or president won't make a move, they'll just dry up funds.

"The coach won't know exactly when we decide to make that happen, but they've got a good idea. Then we get to see just how damn good a recruiter he really is. I know one of our guys once stopped putting in big bucks, way more than what I do, just because a head coach cussed too much on the team plane. [The coach] was losing anyway, but because he took the Lord's name in vain, that guy was offended by his morality and stopped illegally paying college football players."

:lol:

Dooley cussed too much.

VN Store

Back