Marquette hires Wojo

Marquette has hired Steve Wojciechowski.

Just heard it on the Ainge show. Looking for an article to confirm but haven't found one yet.

As said on the Dan Patrick Show. I'm sure Martin knew of this when he withdrew his name. Doesn't matter now. Go Vols!

This should clear up the idiotic idea that Marquette turned CCM down. This is a super risky hire for such a prominent school to make.

Really shows the coaching pool is weak this year. The Mid Major coaches are staying put. Plus, Marquette and the so-called Big East aren't what they used to be. They aren't even on ESPN, which sadly, makes them irrelevant.

Just shows how close CCM was to leaving. He was choice #1. Said no. So they went with Wojo.

Reactions: 1 person
This should clear up the idiotic idea that Marquette turned CCM down. This is a super risky hire for such a prominent school to make.

???????????This is the route they have always taken.........and it seems to have worked out more times than not.

Just shows how close CCM was to leaving. He was choice #1. Said no. So they went with Wojo.

I hope he said no. It would be embarrassing if they picked Wojo over him. I don't believe that is what they did, just saying..

I hope he said no. It would be embarrassing if they picked Wojo over him. I don't believe that is what they did, just saying..

how??? he's assisted under one of the best coaches of all-time for many years, now.

how??? he's assisted under one of the best coaches of all-time for many years, now.

That's a huge jump from assistant to what I think is a top 50 job. No doubt he has received great tutoring from Coach K, but no experience as a HC would concern me. Nothing personal against Wojo...

This makes me think Marquette did pass on Martin.
1. Martin interviews Sunday
2. Wojo interviews Monday
3. Martin withdraws his name Monday night
4. Wojo is announced being hired Tuesday morning.

Sounds to me like Marquette chose Wojo , informed Martin they were going in a different direction, Martin then announces he is withdrawing his name. This is standard procedure during coaching hires.

no one knows when Martin withdrew his name. We only know when it was reported

Well see when contract details come out. If Wojo makes more money than Zo after his raise, then I think it would be safe to say Marquette told Zo thanks but no thanks.

Sounds to me like Marquette chose Wojo , informed Martin they were going in a different direction, Martin then announces he is withdrawing his name. This is standard procedure during coaching hires.

This. Im fairly positive they passed on Zo.

Boy, I'll bet that stretch hurt!!!! Actually I think the withdrawal says right the opposite...but you probably meant that with a twist of sarcasm....

Yeah this sounds about right. Happens every year this way...There's no doubt that Wojo was the their first choice just by the way things went down...actually...professional courtesy to info the candidate that did NOT get the job in time to withdraw their name from consideration to avoid embarrassment and maybe help with his current re-negotiations....

VN Store

Back