Pitino done?

McCat

Rent free in your head
INDIANAPOLIS - After a late Kentucky rally sunk Louisville and ended the Cardinals attempt to repeat as national champions Friday night, Louisville coach Rick Pitino lamented "the end of an era" for his program.
He specifically named three senior starters -- Russ Smith, Luke Hancock and Stephan Van Treese -- and sophomore Montrezl Harrell, who's expected to enter the NBA Draft.
He said nothing of his own future, even when asked directly about it.
"I'm thinking about my players," he said. "I'm not thinking about myself."
Pitino, 61, has been at Louisville since 2001.

Pitino: 'End of an era' | FOX Sports on MSN

Reactions: 1 person
I'd be considering retirement if I had lost 6 of the last 7 against Kentucky and Calipari.

It's hard to believe he's 61. He doesn't seem that old. Perfect age for him to retire though.

He doesn't look 61.

True. More like 161.

PitinoNokia-500x265.png

Reactions: 2 people
INDIANAPOLIS - After a late Kentucky rally sunk Louisville and ended the Cardinals attempt to repeat as national champions Friday night, Louisville coach Rick Pitino lamented "the end of an era" for his program.
He specifically named three senior starters -- Russ Smith, Luke Hancock and Stephan Van Treese -- and sophomore Montrezl Harrell, who's expected to enter the NBA Draft.
He said nothing of his own future, even when asked directly about it.
"I'm thinking about my players," he said. "I'm not thinking about myself."
Pitino, 61, has been at Louisville since 2001.

Pitino: 'End of an era' | FOX Sports on MSN

Kevin Ware just announced via twitter that he is transferring from Louisville.

Maybe some smoke here after all.

I'd hang it up if I were him. He's got nothing left to prove

If he leaves Louisville it will most likely be to try the NBA again. He doesn't seem like an early retirement type coach

After what Pitino did for Kentucky I can't believe UK fans are taking shots at him. As a UK fan I'll never view Cal with the appreciation I have for Ricky P.

After what Pitino did for Kentucky I can't believe UK fans are taking shots at him. As a UK fan I'll never view Cal with the appreciation I have for Ricky P.

The only thing that I could compare it to would be if General Neyland had gone to work for Bama right after leaving UT. Some lines just shouldn't be crossed.

That said, he is an elite, HOF coach. There's no doubting his coaching abilities. What he did at UK will always have my respect. And I think that one day he will be embraced by BBN. But now, he's working for our #1 rival.

The only thing that I could compare it to would be if General Neyland had gone to work for Bama right after leaving UT. Some lines just shouldn't be crossed.

That said, he is an elite, HOF coach. There's no doubting his coaching abilities. What he did at UK will always have my respect. And I think that one day he will be embraced by BBN. But now, he's working for our #1 rival.

But he didn't go straight to Louisville. He left UK to go to the pros (legit reason to go) and when he came back to college the UL job was a great choice.

Last edited:
But he didn't go straight to Louisville. He left UK to go to the pros (legit reason to go) and when he came back to college the UL job was a great choice.

I certainly recognize that. But it's a difficult thing to reconcile.

Brian, I think that all Pitino needs to do to get the full support of BBN is to retire and then show up at a UK game in a blue jacket and do the 'Y'.

I certainly recognize that. But it's a difficult thing to reconcile.

Vol fans can't understand because it is hoops, of which they've had no success (not being a prick, just is what it is)

If fulmer left one year after a national title, then came back to Bama 2 years later, it would have been the same situation.

The loss was a tough blow for Pitino. Needs to get away from it all for a while before jumping to retirement.

:eek:lol:Oh coach C will be done in a little while, the NCAA will be coming soon stay tune, it is about time to get caught and of course he did not know anything about it.:eek:lol:

Vol fans can't understand because it is hoops, of which they've had no success (not being a prick, just is what it is)

If fulmer left one year after a national title, then came back to Bama 2 years later, it would have been the same situation.

Summitt.

:eek:lol:Oh coach C will be done in a little while, the NCAA will be coming soon stay tune, it is about time to get caught and of course he did not know anything about it.:eek:lol:

How the NCAA hasn't found anything suspicious yet under Calapari at Kentucky, is beyond me.

I respect him as a coach. He had some great teams at UK and did a lot for the program. UK fans are just passionate and don't like seeing little brother get a great coach.

I could see him leaving, but only to the pros. He has nothing left to prove in the college game.

VN Store

Back