Players can Unionize!!!

goldvol

VolNation's Lesser Poobah
According to the National Labor Relations Board, as being reported by multiple sources: CNN, ESPN, etc.

How long will it be until the first UT football player gets a bigger paycheck?
How much would you pay for our stars this year?
Historically, how much would someone like Peyton or Reggie go for?

Edit: Someone moved this to the Around the NCAA forum. This is directly related to Tennessee football, is the most talked about topic today on the forum, and I feel like more people would see this thread in the Football Forum.

Last edited:
According to the National Labor Relations Board, as being reported by multiple sources: CNN, ESPN, etc.

How long will it be until the first UT football player gets a bigger paycheck?
How much would you pay for our stars this year?
Historically, how much would someone like Peyton or Reggie go for?

Thats going to ruin college athletics.

Reactions: 28 people
I'd pay them nothing. They get free housing, free meals, a free education all for the sake that they know how to catch or throw a football.

Without being able to do that, some of these kids wouldn't be able to go to college. So this is not good for college sports in general.

Reactions: 21 people
Well, I doubt it's the end of the story on this one, but like I said in the other thread... college sports as you have know it is coming to an end. The NCAA better get on board quick or they will lose much more... they are violation of so many laws at the State and Federal level that it's not even possible to list.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd pay them nothing. They get free housing, free meals, a free education all for the sake that they know how to catch or throw a football.

Without being able to do that, some of these kids wouldn't be able to go to college. So this is not good for college sports in general.

Schools don't give those things for free, "free" means no obligations.

Notice, that's why I said "bigger" paycheck :p

TN is a right to work state

Every school that tries to stop players from receiving money from third parties will eventually be sued, if it comes to that. The sooner the schools and the NCAA wake up the less they will lose... their past behavior and willful violation of law is going to cost billions.

What is going to happen is the opportunities for young men to better themselves through athletics will disappear.

Next will be High School Football with all the restrictions that will come because of lawsuits over concussions, etc..

Schools don't give those things for free, "free" means no obligations.

If we're going to go down the "obligations" road, then that would mean students on academic scholarships need to be paid as well.

Do they not have to be at certain classes at certain times? Do they not have to adhere to certain rules per the university?

It's pretty simple, if the kid doesn't want to deal with those obligations of football/practice and what not, then don't play. It's that simple.

No one is making these kids sign the scholarships and play.

Reactions: 8 people
hope they're ready to pay taxes

The new pay-for-play: CFB union could get slammed with tax bill - CBSSports.com

Hannon cited Sec. 117 of the “Current Internal Revenue Code,” which essentially states that though a “qualified scholarship” is not considered gross income, that can change if the scholarship money “represents payment for teaching, research or other services by the student required as a condition for receiving the qualified scholarship or qualified tuition reduction.”

In other words, if an employee is doing a job unrelated to his major as a condition of getting the scholarship, “those dollars will likely be fully taxable,” Hannon said.
Hannon advised there are exceptions, such as when an employee does a job relevant to what he's studying.

You want to redefine pay-for-play? Try an offensive lineman/biology major getting taxed on $60,000 because his football work doesn't align with his major.

Reactions: 2 people
Every school that tries to stop players from receiving money from third parties will eventually be sued, if it comes to that. The sooner the schools and the NCAA wake up the less they will lose... their past behavior and willful violation of law is going to cost billions.

Then they need to stop offering free scholarships

If they are getting paid, then they can pay their own tuition, food, housing, etc...

Reactions: 1 person
This could spell the end of scholarships at Northwestern. Think about it. Couldn't a school where the players unionize discontinue future scholarship money, pay the players the negotiated salary amount, and then require tuition payments? I can't imagine that a salary for the average D1 player is going to be much more than their scholarship provides.

Then they need to stop offering free scholarships

If they are getting paid, then they can pay their own tuition, food, housing, etc...

I am not telling any school to do this or that other than stop colluding, to me that is the problem. There is no reason why a school should care if a player is receiving money either from a school or a 3rd party. The colleges problems start at this point.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back