Shaka Smart to Marquette [probably unfounded rumor]

He's from the area and it's a step up, but into a conference that he could be successful in quickly. In some ways, it makes a lot of sense.

Surely VA Tech gauged his interest. If so, funny that he would spurn them and opt for Marquette. The opposite of Buzz, and probably the right move.

I could see it playing out that Shaka stays at Marquette until Bo Ryan retires, then he takes the gig at UW

It would be surprising because Marquette is in disarray. Buzz Williams had to have been desperate to get out of there to take the unappealing va. tech job. That, in terms of general basketball status, is a step down. Williams did not get along with the AD--but the AD was fired a while back, and Marquette has no AD at the moment. And no president. They do have some tradition, but it's not exactly a power program.

Smart to Marquette and Mack likely leaving Xavier for WF...Sampson likely taking the Houston job.

Credit to ADs so far, making good hires IMO

Reactions: 1 person
It would be surprising because Marquette is in disarray. Buzz Williams had to have been desperate to get out of there to take the unappealing va. tech job. That, in terms of general basketball status, is a step down. Williams did not get along with the AD--but the AD was fired a while back, and Marquette has no AD at the moment. And no president. They do have some tradition, but it's not exactly a power program.

He actually took a pay cut to take the VT job...

VCU magic might be over and he might have felt bigger programs are learning that and not gonna offer.

I am not sold on Shaka Smart as the media anointed coaching superstar.

He has not hung any banners, yet the media makes him out to be the 2nd coming.

I'm not sure that his style will win in a major conference.

Reactions: 1 person
VCU magic might be over and he might have felt bigger programs are learning that and not gonna offer.

IIRC he had a few chances earlier to make a solid jump up and seemed to reject the idea thinking there was something better with patience.

Not that its passed him up totally but that ship may have left the dock.

Ah yes. Spring is officially here. The Shaka Smart to (insert bigger school here), oh wait, no he's staying at VCU rumors.

He's had plenty of chances to leave and hasn't. As an Old Dominion grad, I'll always hate VCU and so I can't wait for him to leave, I'm just not sure it will ever happen. For those saying his style won't work in the major conferences, Nolan Richardson laughs at you.

VN Store

Back