Memphis Tigers: what happens to Josh Pastner

DocVol

He can't have much more time left in Memphis after this latest tourney exit.

As long as he brings in the 4 and 5-star AAU "look at me" talent and gets 20+ wins a year they won't do a damn thing. He just signed an extension.

He's a good recruiter. That will provide him a quick landing spot at several big schools as an assistant. He's not ready to be the HMFIC.

His recruiting is down this year and last. I just don't see him sticking around.

But there's always the problem of who would be a better option.

His recruiting is down this year and last. I just don't see him sticking around.

Exactly. They are doubly screwed by being in that dump of a conference. No way the AD is stupid enough to let him go.

They'll get over it and be better off in the long run.

Conference gets worse next year losing Louisville and Rutgers to the ACC

Memphis Tigers have had a fundamental problem ever since CJP took over...its always there just under the surface...and I have to say....with Josh it just want get much better....I would put he and Travis Ford at the top of the list for squandering the most talent in the country....of recruiting can occur literally every day when he goes to lunch...walk a few blocks west...your in the hood and have talent everywhere....really NO EXCUSE for being destroyed the way they were in several games this year and especially this Virginia game...granted Virginia was a better team....but didn't have better talent....I am orange thru and thru but would like to see Memphis at least not get embarrassed quite so often....I figure CJP will be kept around as long as he can get to the tourney every year or two....

Conference gets worse next year losing Louisville and Rutgers to the ACC

Dumping this year's version of Rutgers in basketball can't make you worse. Losing Louisville will hurt them though. Although, Memphis has a deal to play them anyway.

I think he's a good coach, but the fact that they're paying him $2.5 million a year and have received nothing better than two Round of 32 games in return (in both of which they were blown off the court) isn't a fair deal for the fans. He needs to produce real results soon, because extensions don't come after repeated two-and-outs.

He is a crappy as hell coach but has about a 7 or 8 million dollar buyout. He ain't going anywhere.

His refusal to fix the program's deficiencies (which are literally just defense and discipline) will do him in eventually

His refusal to fix the program's deficiencies (which are literally just defense and discipline) will do him in eventually

Watching Goodwin celebrate a blocked shot after he rotated over, in which a foul was called on the on ball defender all while being down 20+ would've made me fire JP on the spot or at least give him some ultimatums. They play like a bunch of hood rats out there. It's like watching a team from an And 1 mix tape, but with less results.

Reactions: 1 person
He's not going anywhere.

.747 winning percentage and 4 straight tourney appearances

Watching Goodwin celebrate a blocked shot after he rotated over, in which a foul was called on the on ball defender all while being down 20+ would've made me fire JP on the spot or at least give him some ultimatums. They play like a bunch of hood rats out there. It's like watching a team from an And 1 mix tape, but with less results.

Goodwin sucks, and when he finally does make a play he screams. It is pathetic.

I'll post the same thing that I posted in anther thread:

He can't develop players at all. When it's more than one player, it's not just work ethic.

Joe Jackson (nearly transferred)
Chris Crawford
Tarik Black (transferred away)
Adonis Thomas

Two 5*s and two 4*s that haven't amounted to anything.

And I'm thinking that Nick King will be added to the list too. Pastner sure isn't going to do him any good. Nick King will become another wasted hometown product that felt the pressure to stay home. Eventually, people will come to see that Pastner can't develop talent, and his recruiting will fade.

And don't get me started on how poorly coached and lost the team appears on the court. Pastner doesn't run a set half court offense. This team get ousted in the tournament by superiorly coached teams like Virginia, Michigan State, St. Louis, and Arizona. They'll never be a threat with Pastner. Memphis is stuck with his incompetent cupcake ass.

Reactions: 2 people
It sure is proving Cal's strategy of cherry picking from Memphis to be superior. There are way too many egos and way too many shady types around these kids that encourage disharmony.

Hell, I would take the Mercer head coach over Josh Pastner. That pre game speech was horrible. He was not ready to be a head coach.

I'll post the same thing that I posted in anther thread:

He can't develop players at all. When it's more than one player, it's not just work ethic.

Joe Jackson (nearly transferred)
Chris Crawford
Tarik Black (transferred away)
Adonis Thomas

Two 5*s and two 4*s that haven't amounted to anything.

And I'm thinking that Nick King will be added to the list too. Pastner sure isn't going to do him any good. Nick King will become another wasted hometown product that felt the pressure to stay home. Eventually, people will come to see that Pastner can't develop talent, and his recruiting will fade.

And don't get me started on how poorly coached and lost the team appears on the court. Pastner doesn't run a set half court offense. This team get ousted in the tournament by superiorly coached teams like Virginia, Michigan State, St. Louis, and Arizona. They'll never be a threat with Pastner. Memphis is stuck with his incompetent cupcake ass.

It would be nice for Tiger High to slip into the toilet for a decade of so just like when the NCAA lowered the boom when Dana Kirk was Memphis coach.

Not sure about future better options, but a large portion of Memphis fans I've talked to have been pizzed ( sounding eerily familiar here) that Auburn got Pearl, while Memphis limped into and out of the tourney...essentially leaving them stuck with Pastner.

Last edited:
Not sure about future better options, but a large portion of Memphis fans I've talked to have been pizzed ( sounding eerily familiar here) that Auburn got Pearl, while Memphis limped into and out of the tourney...essentially leaving them stuck with Pastner.

I hate to admit it but the combination of Pearl and Memphis would (have been) deadly.

I hate to admit it but the combination of Pearl and Memphis would (have been) deadly.

Tiger High would have wound up on major probation just like they did under Dana Kirk. Corruption and Memphis basketball go hand in hand.:hi:

It would be. There's no telling what Pearl could have accomplished with the talent that Memphis has had the past few seasons. They would've been a top 15 team this season and he would not choke in the tournament like Pastner. But too bad for Memphis because they aren't getting Bruce.

VN Store

Back