Riddell SpeedFlex helmet to reduce concussions

WooPigSooie

Riddell is rolling out their new SpeedFlex helmet design that is supposed to improve player safety. Arkansas just announced that they will be using these. Will this be the direction that the rest of CFB goes in the future?

Either way, they seem pretty neat

arkansas-helmets.jpg

Not going to stop brains from hitting the inside of the skull, I don't think. Well intentioned though.

There is not very much info out there on these helmets yet.. i wonder what type of shock absorbing system is behind that circular cut out section on the crown

There is not very much info out there on these helmets yet.. i wonder what type of shock absorbing system is behind that circular cut out section on the crown

A piece of Jay Carney DNA in every one of them. It convinces the brain that the hit never really happened.

Reactions: 2 people
One good thing about them (players may not agree) is that the bottom chin strap is connected to the helmet with a ratchet strap and cannot be unbuttoned like most football helmets currently.
Since players are sometimes forgetful when it comes to securing that bottom chin strap and thus undermining the safety measures a helmet is supposed to provide, Riddell just eliminated that detachment.

Reactions: 1 person
4-8 with them, 4-8 without

You really arent far off the mark. Given the Hogs SOS next season relative to the current state of the team.. I'm saying 4 wins is probably par, 5 is showing signs of life, and 6 is outstanding.

2015 ought to be the year Arkansas gets back in the mix.

You really arent far off the mark. Given the Hogs SOS next season relative to the current state of the team.. I'm saying 4 wins is probably par, 5 is showing signs of life, and 6 is outstanding.

2015 ought to be the year Arkansas gets back in the mix.

Your talking to NextYearU. We understand

Reactions: 4 people
I like the effort, but I don't think this is enough, I don't think anything will ever be enough.

Not going to stop brains from hitting the inside of the skull, I don't think. Well intentioned though.

I like the effort, but I don't think this is enough, I don't think anything will ever be enough.

I don't see how anything could be. Best thing about this is the data feedback. But, as TP stated, the problem where the rubber meets the road. Or, in this case, the brain smacks into the skull.

Reactions: 1 person
The exact same claim was made when Riddell introduced the Revolution helmet. It is ALL marketing and paying the for the testing to come out the way they WANT it to.

Interesting concept. If the helmet shell were to flex upon impact, one would think that the blow to the head would be slightly absorbed by the flex action of the shell. Look at how shoulder pads have evolved from a leather patch, to a leather patch with cotton underneath to today's multi-layered flexible shoulder pads.

Honestly, the less painful it becomes to smash your head into something, the easier it will be to get a concussion. The emphasis needs to be on not smashing your head into things that will give you a concussion rather than chasing the impossible feat of being able to smash your head repeatedly without worry.

Here's a link to a Popular Science article from 2012 regarding developments in helmet technology. I'd be interested to see if Riddell's new helmet incorporates any measures to deal with the rotational acceleration they discuss.

How do you figure?

More moving parts. Moving parts wear quicker because they move. What's going to happen to the flex after hundreds of hits? It's going to degrade as it keeps flexing.

It's like old vs. New cars. Old cars are more reliable because they don't have as many electronics. The more simple, the less likely it brakes.

VN Store

Back