man to man defense blows

Wat8.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Man to man is an easier D to play, so many kids have no idea where to be on a zone. I coach an AAU team and we installed a 1-3-1 this year and it was almost like teaching a foreign language. I would love to pick Boeheims brain on his match up zone

Man to man is an easier D to play, so many kids have no idea where to be on a zone. I coach an AAU team and we installed a 1-3-1 this year and it was almost like teaching a foreign language. I would love to pick Boeheims brain on his match up zone

That's what I thought.

While you're at it, ask him why his teams always get knocked out early...

Reactions: 1 person
Defenses are personnel based. If you have a height/size disadvantage, you can play a compressed zone such as a 2-3 to crowd the box to avoid the bigger offensive player being down low in a 1 on 1 situation.

If you have a dramatic speed advantage you can go man-to-man to be disruptive. And to create fast break opportunities if you get the defensive rebound.

In high school we ran a defense that was called a box and one. Basically it's a 4-man zone and one "floater" who was always our best lockdown defender and his job was to stay with the best player on the other team at all times. It was very effective against teams that had one star player and no one else.

So..... again..... personnel based. Teams switch up their defenses several times in any game. They put in their big boys, you go zone. They put in all guards/fast players, you go man-to-man. Etc.

It's also harder to box out in a zone because you are trying to find someone to box out and in man you should always know where your man is at so it's easier to get rebounds
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm sure it's different with specific teams, genders and ages.

I have a 3rd grade team that picked up the basic concept of a 1-3-1 pretty easy. I've since started teaching man to man principles because I see the need for kids growing up to be able to play it. For my group the 3 basic tenants of man to man have been harder to teach.

There are different takes on defense as well.

Some see it as just defending the basket,getting the rebound and transitioning to offense.

Other coaches see it as a scoring opportunity if used more aggressively. Pitino specifically comes to mind here.

How old where the kids? I first learned to play zone defense in 4th grade.

In highschool we ran man to man most of the time and were disruptive with it using traps and rotating well

Why does the NBA >>>not allow a zone?

The NBA does allow a zone because the Mavericks used this against LeBron and the heat three years ago in the finals. The reason you cant use this much at all in the NBA is because there are to many good three point shooters that will shoot you out of it really quick.

Though there are exceptions (cuse, and other teams who turn a zone into a juggernaut), most coaches turn to zones to hide deficiencies in their man to man.

VN Store

Back