Hello from E. Carolina

PirateLaw2014

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for putting NCSU and South Carolina in their place over the last few years. I have tons of respect for your programs, as seems to be the general consensus of our fanbase.

If you haven't heard of East Carolina, we're sort of the third sister in the UNC program, but we fight hard to escape the shadow of UNC and NCSU.

I'm also posting because I'm curious: of the NC schools, which would you be most interested in hosting?

Reactions: 6 people
I would like Tennessee to play all of them at some point. I would love for Tennessee to play North Carolina in football every season.

Reactions: 1 person

Or at least if you're going to leave those two out because they're private and not part of the UNC system, Vandy would need to be left out (since it's private and not part of the University of Tennessee system)...probably as well as Memphis (it's not part of the state system either)

So I guess then...more like what UTC and UT-Martin are to UTK?

Yeah the NC and TN systems aren't terribly comparable in this regard...

(Plus Vandy would likely be more comparable to Duke than ECU)

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for putting NCSU and South Carolina in their place over the last few years. I have tons of respect for your programs, as seems to be the general consensus of our fanbase.

If you haven't heard of East Carolina, we're sort of the third sister in the UNC program, but we fight hard to escape the shadow of UNC and NCSU.

I'm also posting because I'm curious: of the NC schools, which would you be most interested in hosting?

UNC-Wilmington or NC A&T

(But seriously, probably Duke because of Coach Cut)

Oh and welcome to VN. :hi:

Welcome to the board.

And in which sport are we talking about?

I know very little about E. Carolina. I went to Lee University in Cleveland, TN and we played you guys in basketball. We won and I believe it was the biggest win in our program history. I remember the student body being ecstatic about it.

For everyone who doesn't get it, this is a slam on Vandy. And I lulzed.

No I got that part.

At the same time, I wasn't sure if he misunderstood the OP...saying that they're third school down the line in the state system, not third little brother in the state.

At best they're like, 5th sibling on the totem pole in that state, as far as programs go. (No offense or disrespect intended, PirateLaw.)

Last edited:
Actually, Tennessee has a good bit of history with Duke and North Carolina, at least in football. Tennessee is 20-8-1 vs. NC and played the Tarheels every year from 1945-1961 (Tennessee vs North Carolina 1869-2013). The Tennessee-Duke series was a direct product of the friendship between Neyland and Wallace Wade, who coached Alabama from 1923-1930 and Duke from 1931-41, 46-50. Tennessee played Duke every year that Wade was at Duke and continued to play them annually through 1956. Tennessee leads the latter series 14-12-2 (Tennessee vs Duke 1869-2013).

Last edited:
Where do you live OP? I'm stationed at Bragg and I make trips to Greensboro and Raleigh somewhat regularly. I'm always amazed at how much ECU stuff I see around. To me, it seems there are more ECU fans in the Triangle than any school except State.

Where do you live OP? I'm stationed at Bragg and I make trips to Greensboro and Raleigh somewhat regularly. I'm always amazed at how much ECU stuff I see around. To me, it seems there are more ECU fans in the Triangle than any school except State.

Only during football season.

Welcome and Congrats on that double nickel versus the Heels last fall. That was great.

RE: volfanbill, I am in Greenville, NC. I'm glad to hear that we do well in Raleigh, especially given how densely packed the other NC teams are in that area.

For those interested in comparing ECU to a Tennessee program, here are a few facts and figures from last year that might put us ahead of Memphis or Vandy (and hopefully Wake).

10-3 overall, inc. @NCSU (42-28) and @UNC (55-31)
2-1 against ACC (more ACC wins than NCSU), 15-10 loss vs. VT
avg. attendance ~46,000 (unusually boring home schedule this year)

Then there's this. Its no Neyland, but not too bad for the red-headed stepchild

dowdy-ficklen-endzone.jpg

Only thing good about ECU was when Chris Johnson was there. CJ was a beast WR/RB/Returner.

Welcome and go Pirates! They're the in-state team that I pull for mainly because I hate all the others and I've partied in Greenville a few times with some friends that used to go there.

I know very little about E. Carolina. I went to Lee University in Cleveland, TN and we played you guys in basketball. We won and I believe it was the biggest win in our program history. I remember the student body being ecstatic about it.

Chatt, when were you at Lee? I was there for 2 years before transferring to UTK

VN Store

Back