Lawsuit against the NCAA regarding amateur status of the players

Yes it is, it's exactly what I said was coming down the pipe in the other thread. This is only the beginning.

Yes it is, it's exactly what I said was coming down the pipe in the other thread. This is only the beginning.

Yes it is. I think that this is the same attorney that fought for the free agency and won that suit. If this pans out the NCAA will be coming to an end

Yes it is. I think that this is the same attorney that fought for the free agency and won that suit. If this pans out the NCAA will be coming to an end

Like I mentioned in the other thread... this ain't the last one either.... the NCAA should be put out it's misery and if they don't watch it soon there might be more than civil charges.

Like I mentioned in the other thread... this ain't the last one either.... the NCAA should be put out it's misery and if they don't watch it soon there might be more than civil charges.

I would love nothing more than to see the AA put in its place. I think they have been working on borrowed times far to long and have been botching more and more investigations and handing out wrong punishments or lack thereof. But I have a feeling that this lawsuit may stick and I hope Kessler wins it and we see the AA leave on a jet plane and never return

As is the case most of the time, the people who will end up getting screwed are the people who thought they won.

The athletes don't know what they are doing and haven't thought about the ultimate end game

As is the case most of the time, the people who will end up getting screwed are the people who thought they won.

The athletes don't know what they are doing and haven't thought about the ultimate end game

I disagree, the athletes have been stupid to wait for the last 40 years (since college sports have become mega businesses).

If this involved garbage collections... the people in the NCAA and the people involved in at the colleges would be wearing orange jump suits. I fail to see why the statutory laws of the various States and the Federal government have to willfully not enforced for the benefit of the NCAA and colleges because of sports.

Either way each college athlete has multiple paths for remedy which can be carried out separately if needed. I would like DOJ and the State's AGs to get involved years ago.... some of these people need to be indicted. IMHO.

No other business is able to run like these college sports... why? Because it's freaking immoral and illegal.

I disagree, the athletes have been stupid to wait for the last 40 years (since college sports have become mega businesses).

If this involved garbage collections... the people in the NCAA and the people involved in at the colleges would be wearing orange jump suits. I fail to see why the statutory laws of the various States and the Federal government have to willfully not enforced for the benefit of the NCAA and colleges because of sports.

Either way each college athlete has multiple paths for remedy which can be carried out separately if needed. I would like DOJ and the State's AGs to get involved years ago.... some of these people need to be indicted. IMHO.

Ok, the NCAA loses the suit. Then, what

Ok, the NCAA loses the suit. Then, what

I did not claim they lose this suit, there are multiple suits going on, about different issues... .and this is just the beginning.

To answer your question, the simple solution is conform and comply with State and Federal law which they are not doing. The biggest issue is they are corrupt in nature, blacklisting and colluding to control 3rd parties... which is all illegal.... clean that up first and then move on to the other issues... which would mostly solved by then by each college separately.

Try and go setup a business like they are doing and you will be put behind bars.

That lawyer brings an interesting argument. I think he's actually right and will win.

I did not claim they lose this suit, there are multiple suits going on, about different issues... .and this is just the beginning.

To answer your question, the simple solution is conform and comply with State and Federal law which they are not doing. The biggest issue is they are corrupt in nature, blacklisting and colluding to control 3rd parties... which is all illegal.... clean that up first and then move on to the other issues... which would mostly solved by then by each college separately.

Try and go setup a business like they are doing and you will be put behind bars.

You are not answering my question.

What will happen to college athletics if the current system is eliminated?

You are not answering my question.

What will happen to college athletics if the current system is eliminated?

I did answer the question... they need to conform to State and Federal law... the laws in the 50 States are all different.

Eventually, the current system will be eliminated, either willingly or unwillingly.

I did answer the question... they need to conform to State and Federal law... the laws in the 50 States are all different.

Eventually, the current system will be eliminated, either willingly or unwillingly.

You know what I am asking.

Comply with the law is an evasive answer.

What will college athletics look like when the current system is eliminated?

You know what I am asking.

Comply with the law is an evasive answer.

What will college athletics look like when the current system is eliminated?

It's not evasive at all.

My guess like it works for the major of college sports and college divisions... no real restrictions on players. Each State is separate and each college is separate i.e. each situation will be different... some colleges will probably pay players, others will not, etc.

The biggest problem I see is the colleges and NCAA colluding to stop basically football and basketball players in the top divisions from receiving money either from the school or third parties.... eliminate that issue and most of the rest can be worked out in an orderly fashion.

Of course, even if they change doesn't mean they won't be sued for prior behavior and for damages.

Most people don't realize or don't acknowledge that most college sports are not regulated like at the D-1 level.

Each State is different and each school is different.... I see no reason that a school should have to pay a player but on the flip side they should not be trying to stop the player from getting money from legal sources.

Last edited:
It's not evasive at all.

My guess like it works for the major of college sports and college divisions... no real restrictions on players. Each State is separate and each college is separate i.e. each situation will be different... some colleges will probably pay players, others will not, etc.

The biggest problem I see is the colleges and NCAA colluding to stop basically football and basketball players in the top divisions from receiving money either from the school or third parties.... eliminate that issue and most of the rest can be worked out in an orderly fashion.

Of course, even if they change doesn't mean they won't be sued for prior behavior and for damages.

Most people don't realize or don't acknowledge that most college sports are not regulated like at the D-1 level.

it wouldn't be orderly at all. it would be the wild, wild west.

if they can make money....you can't limit how much they can make or who they get it from.

Reactions: 1 person
it wouldn't be orderly at all. it would be the wild, wild west.

Not at all, conform to State and Federal law and there are no problems as far as I can see... what they are doing right now is the wild west.

if they can make money....you can't limit how much they can make or who they get it from.

Why would someone want to limit how much someone makes?

You know, why can't the college athletes be happy getting an education? How many of them actually go on to professional levels where they get paid? And how many of them actually need to put that $200K+ education they got for free to work in the marketplace?

These threads about paying players and unions and taking advantage of college players are all utterly dumb from the people that want them. There is no, zero, nada, nil reasons to pay college players when they are getting room, board, medical and an education for free.

And I dare someone to tell me they deserve more.

Grand,

I don't completely disagree with you. But the problem is that, in general, you are talking about a bunch of kids coming from very poor backgrounds. A free education, room and board, etc is all well and good, but many of these kids can't even afford to go out and have a beer with their friends on the weekend. I'm not suggesting that we throw a pity party for kids who could get through 4 or 5 years of their lives without spending a dime, but I am absolutey in favor of reassessing the idea that a kid should be punished if he takes money from and agent so that he can enjoy his free time.

I hope this lawsuit leads to stipends for athletes. It should be a set amount for everyone so that college recruiting doesn't turn into a bidding war. Limiting compensation to the cost of education and then punishing those who get tempted to take a little extra is absolutely draconian, and it must change.

You know, why can't the college athletes be happy getting an education? How many of them actually go on to professional levels where they get paid? And how many of them actually need to put that $200K+ education they got for free to work in the marketplace?

These threads about paying players and unions and taking advantage of college players are all utterly dumb from the people that want them. There is no, zero, nada, nil reasons to pay college players when they are getting room, board, medical and an education for free.

And I dare someone to tell me they deserve more.

So, I don't think you are worth $1 a year, so I collude with any potential employer you may have to limit your pay to $1 a year... sounds fair.... I mean I said it was fair so it must be so, right?

What is funny about your argument, is most college divisions are not even regulated. Either way the colleges and the NCAA should not be stopping players from receiving money from third parties.... this is basically a mob technique that has been in place for decades.

"And I dare someone to tell me they deserve more."

Well, I am not sure Les Miles and Saban "deserve more" but they can get more on the open market.... I bet you they would immediate get an injunction on any college that tried this crap on coaches.

This is basically common sense. You can't freaking collude.

Not at all, conform to State and Federal law and there are no problems as far as I can see... what they are doing right now is the wild west.

Why would someone want to limit how much someone makes?

would they have to go to class?

would their eligibility ever run out?

can i pay someone just to play football?

Last edited:
Grand,

I don't completely disagree with you. But the problem is that, in general, you are talking about a bunch of kids coming from very poor backgrounds. A free education, room and board, etc is all well and good, but many of these kids can't even afford to go out and have a beer with their friends on the weekend. I'm not suggesting that we throw a pity party for kids who could get through 4 or 5 years of their lives without spending a dime, but I am absolutey in favor of reassessing the idea that a kid should be punished if he takes money from and agent so that he can enjoy his free time.

I hope this lawsuit leads to stipends for athletes. It should be a set amount for everyone so that college recruiting doesn't turn into a bidding war. Limiting compensation to the cost of education and then punishing those who get tempted to take a little extra is absolutely draconian, and it must change.

Really? This is the best argument you can come up with?

Grand,

in theory, i am in favor of stipends as well.

but....

1. i know that's not the end game.

2. the whole argument is how rich the schools are from the backs of the kids. the star qb isn't going to be happy about making the same small stipend as the 3rd string offensive guard or members of the women's golf team.

So, I don't think you are worth $1 a year, so I collude with any potential employer you may have to limit your pay to $1 a year... sounds fair.... I mean I said it was fair so it must be so, right?

What is funny about your argument, is most college divisions are not even regulated. Either way the colleges and the NCAA should not be stopping players from receiving money from third parties.... this is basically a mob technique that has been in place for decades.

"And I dare someone to tell me they deserve more."

Well, I am not sure Les Miles and Saban "deserve more" but they can get more on the open market.... I bet you they would immediate get an injunction on any college that tried this crap on coaches.

This is basically common sense. You can't freaking collude.

I would tend to think that someone that does good at their job would tend to get paid more and be a valuable commodity. Reference your Saban and Miles "deserving more." Have they not proved they are a valuable asset and get paid more?

But that's obviously not the point and you are attempting to divert this from the point. Student athletes, by and large, are not subject to this mystical collusion you speak of. It's very simple, you play better, you get noticed, your ranking on Rivals or 24/7 goes up and you get better college choices and more recruiters banging on your door. And instead of getting passed over by Bama or LSU or UT and having to work their way through the local community college, they get a free ride for 2-5 years and, by the way, an education from a respectable university.

But of course, you have this mystical idea what players should be paid. And what happens the first time they decide to go on strike? What happens to the billions of revenue they bring to the remainder of the university when the seats in the stadium are empty? What happens to the rest of the academic scholarships that are dependent on those revenues that are disrupted because a bunch of players thought their pay was "unfair?" What about the research being done that depends on that same funding? Facility upgrades?

And how far back will colleges have to go to pay past players? Because you darn well know it will happen.

VN Store

Back