Scooba, Mississippi
East Mississippi C.C.
HT: 6'4
WT: 305
40: 4.9
Class of 2014

Jarran Reed - Yahoo! Sports

Jarran Reed

Another 2013 signee who didn't make it to his destination is junior college defensive tackle Jarran Reed.

Reed was scheduled to get out of junior college in one year and head to Florida but wasn't able to and is back at East Mississippi Community College where the Vols are involved with him.

-VQ

For most highly rated high school football players, the path to college football is simple. Graduate from high school, enroll at the college you chose and begin your career. For new Florida defensive tackle signee Jarran Reed, the path has been much more difficult.

The 6-foot-4, 305-pound lineman, graduated from Goldsboro (N.C.) High School in 2011 and attended Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va. After graduating from the prep school, Reed attended East Mississippi Community College in Scooba, Mississippi.

Reed originally committed to his home-state North Carolina Tar Heels before switching his commitment to Ole Miss. It wasn't until national signing day that Reed made a final decision to choose the Gators.

Reed completes difficult journey to UF - Florida Gators Blog - ESPN

Reed signed with Fayetteville State out of Goldsboro HS, but I assume he didn't qualify to play there and had to go to prep school (Hargrave). He's off to a good start this year with 12 tackles and 1 sack in EMCC's first 2 games.

Last edited:
For most highly rated high school football players, the path to college football is simple. Graduate from high school, enroll at the college you chose and begin your career. For new Florida defensive tackle signee Jarran Reed, the path has been much more difficult.

The 6-foot-4, 305-pound lineman, graduated from Goldsboro (N.C.) High School in 2011 and attended Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va. After graduating from the prep school, Reed attended East Mississippi Community College in Scooba, Mississippi.

Reed originally committed to his home-state North Carolina Tar Heels before switching his commitment to Ole Miss. It wasn't until national signing day that Reed made a final decision to choose the Gators.

Reed signed with Fayetteville State out of Goldsboro HS, but I assume he didn't qualify to play there and had to go to prep school (Hargrave). He's off to a good start this year with 12 tackles and 1 sack in EMCC's first 2 games.

Wow! What a mess.

i wished i lived near some tennessee commits so i could watch them play.the player i am going to watch is commited to UGA and he plays for Cedartown.and they play my stepsons team tonight here in LaFayette GA.It's nick chubb.

Holy traps!

Sounds like a circuitous route to college, but I wouldn't complain a bit if his journey took him to the Hill.

Welcome to the College Football Signing with a School CIRCUS!!!!

Afro_circus.gif

zircustoon-revO.gif

funny-gif-cat-circus.gif

Reactions: 1 person
"We've talked and we've had some nice conversations and I really like Tennessee," Reed said. "He told me he had watched film of me and he told me he liked what he saw on film and he just said he likes the way I play."

"They really didn't recruit me hard last year because I was a guy coming out late," Reed said. "But, coach Strippling has been recruiting me right and he told me he's looking for some tough guys and that's all I really know about Tennessee. I've been watching them this year and they've been doing good and I've started to get to know more about them talking to coach Strip."

"They're a team coming up on the rise and they're putting together a great recruiting class this year and that's something I want to be a part of, an SEC team coming up on the rise," Reed said. "Also, somewhere that I'm going to be coached well and that I can feel at home at. Coach Strip seems like a really cool coach and it seems like he's very business-like."

"The coaching staff and how much I'm going to play. I know that's determined on my play, but where I have a good chance to play because I only have two years left because I'm a three-for-two years guy. I want a defense that plays hard and fast," Reed said.

-VQ

OV'd at Bama last week. Will take a few more OV's and decide after, claims no leader, he plans to be an EE.

Juco DLs coming out of the woodwork, I hope all you guys that were crying over passing on those kids in the summer are breathing a little easier.

Glad he said he thinks we've been doing good. A lot of folks are worried about us holding our class together cuz we lost to Oregon & UF. Maybe they should chill out and see what happens.

Glad he said he thinks we've been doing good. A lot of folks are worried about us holding our class together cuz we lost to Oregon & UF. Maybe they should chill out and see what happens.

Anyone who thinks that isn't paying attention. And those same folks are going to lose their minds when UT likely loses a few more games to highly ranked SEC teams next month.

These recruits aren't being sold on "join a really good UT team that's going to win 10 games this fall!" They're being sold on "Come to UT, be apart of something special, help return UT to it's rightful place at the top of the SEC and compete for championships." These recruits are well aware of the current state of this program, more so than many UT fans.

Reactions: 12 people
Anyone who thinks that isn't paying attention. And those same folks are going to lose their minds when UT likely loses a few more games to highly ranked SEC teams next month.

These recruits aren't being sold on "join a really good UT team that's going to win 10 games this fall!" They're being sold on "Come to UT, be apart of something special, help return UT to it's rightful place at the top of the SEC and compete for championships." These recruits are well aware of the current state of this program, more so than many UT fans.

Well put. :peace2:

Woo hoo! DT recruiting heating up! I'm starting to freak out a little worried about remaking spots but I seriously wouldn't mind 6 or 8 DT's no matter which wr we had to cut.

"I'll be down to Tennessee this weekend for a visit," Reed said. "I'm ready to see the atmosphere and the stadium and see what it's really like." "They want me up there to help get back the tradition up there. They said they have a big need on the defensive line," Reed said. "It's a great opportunity, but I know I have to go in there and work my tail off to earn and a spot, whether that's on the first or second string. I'm just going in with one thing on my mind and that's to play to the best of my ability and get better every single day."

"I feel like with a few additions at a few spots they could be great," Reed said. "They've put up a real fight in almost every game they've played this year and it just seems like they could possibly getting over the hump and being something big."

"What's important to me is the reps," Reed explained. "I know that depends on me, but I just want to know who all is there and where they're playing. I want to play for great coaches to make sure I'm coached well. I want to play with a good offense and a complete team."

Reed may not be the only visitor from East Mississippi Community College this weekend as teammate D.J. Pettway may be in Knoxville as well for a visit. The 6-foot-3, 255-pound defensive end and Alabama transfer was at Ole Miss last weekend for his first official visit. Both Reed and Pettway are scheduled to be early enrollees.

-VQ

Guess he didn't want to wait until November. Boom coming?

Interesting to see how it all plays out. Bringing in 2-3 Juco DTs the same weekend could make it hard to really push for 1 and make him feel he is "the guy". If we are taking Mosley, I would be shocked in the staff took more than 1 more Juco DT.

Hendrix
Malone
Pearson
Berry
Berry
Mosley

There are only so many spots left.

Interesting to see how it all plays out. Bringing in 2-3 Juco DTs the same weekend could make it hard to really push for 1 and make him feel he is "the guy". If we are taking Mosley, I would be shocked in the staff took more than 1 more Juco DT.

Hendrix
Malone
Pearson
Berry
Berry
Mosley

And to think you were worried about the D-like recruiting :)

Reactions: 2 people

Hendrix
Malone
Pearson
Berry
Berry
Mosley

Room will be made for these types of kids. We need help on the defensive front in a BAD way.

And to think you were worried about the D-like recruiting :)

Would love to see us take a couple more DT's. With the way recruiting is going, it's clear the staff plans to take multiple WRs, maybe another RB, still looking at QBs, and other positions. Still a lot could happen before NSD. I just hope we end up with at least 4 DTs in the class.

Barnett
Lambert
???
???

Yes, I think both Barnett & Lambert see a lot of time at DT even though SDE is being mentioned.

I think Reed and Lamin are the top two options. Reed is playing really, really well this season. Lamin is a take because he's a three-year guy.

Pettway is a really good. I think Ole Miss is the leader there right now.

I think McDowdell may be behind a couple of guys right now. I think Heurtelou would be ahead of him as well.

-Fortenberry

VN Store

Back