Jameis Winston (FSU) merged

D.C. Vol

Will be a Heisman finalist and have an outside shot at flying out of the Big Apple with the big prize. His shining moment could come in Clemson, South Carolina on October 19th.

Meh. Just 5 total touchdowns on his debut. I do better than that on NCAAF 2014. Not impressed.

Reactions: 2 people
He definitely had a Manzielesque coming out party last night. Too early to call him a Heisman finalist IMO but that is a very real possibility if he beats Clemson.

Reactions: 1 person
He was spot on last night. He will be fun to watch. Football is fun when FSU is good. I hate Miami and Florida!

I know some of the back story regarding baseball did not help UA, but this is one kid I really think the UA staff dropped the ball on and assumed a little to much. FSU got one talent UA fans will hate seeing over the next 3 years.

I know some of the back story regarding baseball did not help UA, but this is one kid I really think the UA staff dropped the ball on and assumed a little to much. FSU got one talent UA fans will hate seeing over the next 3 years.

Mack Brown and his staff are also kicking themselves.

Mack Brown and his staff are also kicking themselves.

Agree with DC Vol here. The kid dreamed of being a Longhorn and Mack Brown whiffed on him big time. Brown has missed on RGIII, Johnny Manziel and now Jameis Winston. I would be livid if I were a fan of that team.

He looks to be a very good player. Ill wait a little while before I crown him the heisman winner, though.

Agree with DC Vol here. The kid dreamed of being a Longhorn and Mack Brown whiffed on him big time. Brown has missed on RGIII, Johnny Manziel and now Jameis Winston. I would be livid if I were a fan of that team.

Mack Brown is to Texas as Phillip Fulmer was to Tennessee post 2005. A noticable decline in recruiting efforts mired with inconsistent production on a season by season basis. His days are numbered in Austin.

Mack Brown is to Texas as Phillip Fulmer was to Tennessee post 2005. A noticable decline in recruiting efforts mired with inconsistent production on a season by season basis. His days are numbered in Austin.

Hope he manages to hang around a few more years and drag the program further down.

The kid is very athletic and talented, but he's high strung and kind of all over the place with the ball. Against a middling Big East team he got away with a ton. Against a Top 20 defense?

tv_show_fail-13405-480x357.jpg

Fulmer, on his worst day, is better than Mack Brown.

The kid is very athletic and talented, but he's high strung and kind of all over the place with the ball. Against a middling Big East team he got away with a ton. Against a Top 20 defense?

tv_show_fail-13405-480x357.jpg

Pitt's defense was number 17 in total defense last year and returned 9 starters for this season. Let's not act like the kid was going against a high school team. But that's what you do best, ignore the facts.

Total Defense - NCAA.com

Pitt's defense was number 17 in total defense last year and returned 9 starters for this season. Let's not act like the kid was going against a high school team. But that's what you do best, ignore the facts.

Total Defense - NCAA.com

Against this schedule:

Youngstown State
U Cinci
Va Tech
Gardner-Webb
Syracuse
L'ville
Buffalo
Temple
Notre Dame
UCONN
Rutgers
USF
Ole Miss

Against L'ville, they gave up 45 points and 460 yards of offense. Against ND, they gave up 29 points and against Ole Miss they gave up 38 points.

So their overall ranking obviously came by shutting down such juggernauts on the rest of their schedule as Gardner-Webb and Buffalo.

Face it. Pitt is awful.

Against this schedule:

Youngstown State
U Cinci
Va Tech
Gardner-Webb
Syracuse
L'ville
Buffalo
Temple
Notre Dame
UCONN
Rutgers
USF
Ole Miss

Against L'ville, they gave up 45 points and 460 yards of offense. Against ND, they gave up 29 points and against Ole Miss they gave up 38 points.

So their overall ranking obviously came by shutting down such juggernauts on the rest of their schedule as Gardner-Webb and Buffalo.

Face it. Pitt is awful.

I didn't say they were an Alabama or LSU, but a redshirt freshman making his first start against a statistically top 20 defense and carving them up the way in which he did is pretty impressive. I understand why you would downplay what he did, given that FSU is a rival school, but he does deserve a little bit of credit. However, like you I'm sure, I'd really like to see what he can do against a championship contender.

Reactions: 2 people
I didn't say they were an Alabama or LSU, but a redshirt freshman making his first start against a statistically top 20 defense and carving them up the way in which he did is pretty impressive. I understand why you would downplay what he did, given that FSU is a rival school, but he does deserve a little bit of credit. However, like you I'm sure, I'd really like to see what he can do against a championship contender.

Have to take into account how crazy good FSU receivers are, too. But Pitt's secondary isn't awful. I mean, take it with a grain of salt... but he did all he can do against that opponent. He will cruise until October 19.

Yes Mack screwed up on RGIII and Manziel but this kid, not so much. No recruiting service shows he had any interest in Texas. The Texas stuff doesn't come out until after his first game at FSU? Kid says he is a lifelong OU fan that wanted to play at Texas? I'm sure all lifelong Vol fans want to play QB for Spurrier. It was Bama and FSU all along.

The kid is making the most of his 15 minutes.

That's all I mean.

I watched parts of it and the kid can flat out throw the ball with zing. Very strong.

But his guys were largely wide open and they were just out there seemingly running randomly. The Pitt defenders so far behind in speed and athleticism that the really could not do much to stop it.

From what I've read, the problem is that he panics, runs around, plays school yard. If he has the guys at receiver to get open, great. But word also is that in practice games against decent FSU defensive secondary he is WILDLY inaccurate.

So, we'll see as the season wears on. Maybe things have just clicked for him at this point, who knows.

VN Store

Back